Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 208,944 times

Advertisements

We are planning on keeping it local(Big Island) gift wise for Christmas this year and would like to know where to purchase the following items: Tea ,volcano honey,vanilla bean or extract,sea salt.............
I want my distant family to enjoy what our Big Island gives us and we can tend to forget how important it is for all of us to keep our community as independent as possible and employed. How easy it is to get on the internet each time we want to purchase something and how it really hurts us in the long run. Maholo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Thumbs up Good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianer29 View Post
We are planning on keeping it local(Big Island) gift wise for Christmas this year and would like to know where to purchase the following items: Tea ,volcano honey,vanilla bean or extract,sea salt.............
I want my distant family to enjoy what our Big Island gives us and we can tend to forget how important it is for all of us to keep our community as independent as possible and employed. How easy it is to get on the internet each time we want to purchase something and how it really hurts us in the long run. Maholo.
Aloha Dianer29,
You have two excellent choices that I can direct you towards on the BI.
For Vanilla Bean there is a Vanilla Farm in Waimea...perfect for 'local' stuff, they have a website. The next would be 'Rare White Hawaiian Honey' (would this be the 'volcano honey' you are referring to)?...there are only a very few farmers that extract this honey. I know my terminology for 'bee keeping' is poor, sorry...anyway, this honey comes only from the Kiawe tree! It is expensive (not so horribly expensive that noone could ever purchase it). I believe the farms are in the Pahoa area to the best of my recollection. Again, searchable on the internet. Both would be wonderful day-trips for you and would certainly constitute 'keeping it Local'.
Happy Holidayz...
Koale

Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Wonderful idea!

I would try the Farmers Markets. Especially the Kinoole Market (Saturday) and the Waimea markets (also on Saturdays).

I've heard that the honey Koale refers to is in high demand, so there are people who go to the market very early to get it!

Maybe you could go visit the Hawaiian Vanilla Company in Paauilo?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Thank you everyone I will try local first to keep the gas consumption down.We have planned to go to the vanilla farm however yipes on the miles.we shall see.............

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
But you can order them online: www.ahualoa.net These are some of the farmers on the Big Island who have an online presence, including Richard who has the honey you are looking for.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Honey at La Quinns on Sundays in farmers market behind...Honomujams.com for the best jelly and sauce for fish low pectrine. Dirty Hippie Soaps for soap sells at Maku market and Hilo market? And I found in Kona no website priced in expensive Kona store $19.95 at Elephants Market I believe a hand blown glass hand painted Christmas ball with velvete box hand painted with Aloha scenes. Bought some for Christmas presents. They are really cool.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
ohh and a good article in Ke Ola magazine today Kona Sea Salts.... www.konaseasalt.com pick up the magazine anyone done the KonaRed or Spirlina Pacifica or BioAstin vitimans? interetsing articles.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
There are lots of local brands at Longs, Hilo Hattie (yes they have food stuff and lots of it), KTA also carries tons of local coffees and other products.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Wow keep those ideas coming I have a great start! Maholo!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Hilo Hattie also gives Kamaʻaina disc.
The Vanilla Co is great the wife took her sister there last week for a tea we have been there a few times He sells much more that just the beans.

Koa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island