Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 22,215 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about a move to the Big Island, Puna area and have stayed there in the past, on vacation. Can anyone explain the biggest downside to Island living and what pushes people back to the mainland? We're landscapers and landscape maintenance people and are hopeful that there would be room for 1 more company on the Hilo side of the island. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,264,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomingud View Post
We're thinking about a move to the Big Island, Puna area and have stayed there in the past, on vacation. Can anyone explain the biggest downside to Island living and what pushes people back to the mainland? We're landscapers and landscape maintenance people and are hopeful that there would be room for 1 more company on the Hilo side of the island. Any input is appreciated.
For Puna, the main drawbacks are the rain, the lack of infrastructure, the lack of access to quality healthcare, relatively poor public schools, and the local politicians. One reason that folks from the continental U.S. fail to adapt to Hawai'i is that they don't think of it as "home" and often miss the relatives, friends, and associates that they left "back home." Other reasons are the cost of living and the lack of affordable housing. While the Hilo side of the Big Island is one of the most affordable areas in Hawai'i, it's still relatively expensive in comparison to many continental U.S. locales.

As for starting a landscaping business, there's always room for one more. Simply show up sober and on time and do quality work for a fair price and you'll probably have more clients than you can handle.

Hope this helps,

Jonah K

Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 22,215 times
Jonah ... Appreciate your input. Our school situation is for our granddaughter, who will be accompanying her parents in the move. She now (1st grade) attends a Monasori school, hopefully there would be something similar around the Hilo area. We're originally 4th generation Oregonians so rain is like 2nd nature to us, but without the warmth. I was wondering about brining antiques and a library along with ... not sure how they would adapt? Thanks again, Duffy

Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,075 times
Quote:
I was wondering about brining antiques and a library along with ... not sure how they would adapt? Thanks again, Duffy
You didn't say where you are coming from. If from Oregon coast, there shouldn't be that drastic a change in humidity, but if from a place like Phoenix, and you are talking about wooden antiques, threre could be some effects.

I have seen books mildew in Hawaii.

It's a tough choice. Leaving treasures behind is just as difficult.

Maybe someone here who actually lives in Puna will tell you their experience. Mine is all from Oahu.

Hank

Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 9,881 times
Default Big Island

[quote=bloomingud;1132166]We're thinking about a move to the Big Island, Puna area and have stayed there in the past, on vacation. Can anyone explain the biggest downside to Island living and what pushes people back to the mainland? We're landscapers and landscape maintenance people and are hopeful that there would be room for 1 more company on the Hilo side of the island. Any input is appreciated.[I am from that area the only downside I would think of would be the high prices on the big island and also the persistant volcano other than that it is a very friendly place.. i hope that helps oh and also with all the volcanoes I am pretty sure they can use more landscaping companies like you

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 33,879 times
alot people move back becuase they cant get use to the slow paced lifestyle. and it helps to learn are culture and way of life. since you are in oregan,meet up with locals there and learn. there alot locals in the northwest like portland and beaverton

Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM

378 posts, read 1,204,036 times
Quote:
Jonah ... Appreciate your input. Our school situation is for our granddaughter, who will be accompanying her parents in the move. She now (1st grade) attends a Monasori school, hopefully there would be something similar around the Hilo area. We're originally 4th generation Oregonians so rain is like 2nd nature to us, but without the warmth. I was wondering about brining antiques and a library along with ... not sure how they would adapt? Thanks again, Duffy
Re the antiques.... When my partner and I moved to Kauai we brought along most of the antiques we had gathered over the years in CA. They did, in fact, suffer. Moisture is not good for them, and the damper weather also caused some problems with some books that I had brought (mold being the worst).

After several years on Kauai, Hurricane Iniki caused us to have to move back to the Mainland, and many is the night that I heard loud pops from the furniture trying to re-adjust to life on the Mainland! I honestly think you would be happier not taking antiques, but also remember that there are many who have successfully done it. You'll find lots of antiques going back to whaling days!

Good luck!!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 PM

35 posts, read 191,153 times
joker816

What slow pace??
I live on Maui, and every time I take my car out on the road,
I've got a local up my *ass* continuously.

Yeah Yeah it's not the mainland...the only time you get a speedy local is when he/she is driving his car!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 PM

29 posts, read 287,109 times
Aloha,

My family moved to the Big Island just over 5 years ago from NJ. My husband is in Real Estate so we see a lot of people come and go. The ones that go are usually just not able to let go of their mainland ways. Uptight people who forget why they came here in the first place. Relax and just hang loose. I was a business woman in a fast paced world back in Jersey and it was very hard for me to get to the point where I can walk, not run, through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: