Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,544 times

Advertisements

Hi all... we're heading to the Big Island for a week. It's the first time we'll be there on vacation since 2003, and the first time since moving to Hawaii. (We've each been a couple of times for work, but just day trips.)

We'll probably be back for another week in the summer, and we'll do the Hilo side and hang out in Puna then. Plans for this visit:

Stay 4 nights (or so) south of Kona. We're going to try and go back to the same B&B we stayed in before, because we loved it there. If they've got no vacancies, we have a couple of other rec's in the area.

We're going to go on Dolphin Journeys again, because it was awesome. (Swim with dolphins, whale watching - Kailua-Kona Hawaii)

We're also going to snorkel Kealakakua Bay, because somehow we missed that last time. (What? I don't know how. We're lame.)

So question 1:
What's the best way to get to the monument side to snorkel? I vaguely remember the folks at our inn saying you could hike down to it from the B&B. Could that be right? I might be mis-remembering. Guide books say you can swim the mile over. I'm a really good swimmer and could do a mile open water swim if its calm. But a mile over, snorkel a while, and a mile back seems like a lot. (Maybe I'm not factoring in for flippers... I don't usually do long swims with them.) Should we just get on one of the tour boats?

We'll spend a day in Kona (post dolphin swim) and a day at the volcano from our base in Captain Cook. (I know it's far, but it's do-able I think... better than moving all our stuff just for a night.)

Question 2:
Any other must-dos from South Kona Coast? (Last time we went to Place of Refuge, South Point, the green sand beach, and toured a coffee plantation. We could do any of that again, but would be game for something new also.)

We're thinking that we'll then spend two nights somewhere up the Kohala Coast, since we drove through but didn't really see any of it last time. Dinner at Merriman's, I think. Just because we have to sometime, right?

Question 3:
We want to go up to the summit of Mauna Kea... we didn't do that last time. (Again, I don't know why. See previous.) I'm assuming it would be better to do this while we're staying on the Kohala Coast as opposed to driving up from Kona. Is that right? Also, is it worth it to pay the exorbitant rate for a guided tour? It saves us from renting a 4WD (since we probably won't need it for anything else) and the expensive gas that goes with that. It saves us the difficulty of doing the drive ourselves, especially down in the dark. And we don't have to pack parkas or bring our dinner. The guidebooks say the "interpreters" at the visitor center are not so useful or informative, and the ones from the tour operators are presumably better. But it's like $200 per person... not sure it's worth it.

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
Question 1: it is possible to hike down to the monument, but it is very strenuous. I don't know the exact numbers, but it is a pretty steep elevation gain. Regarding swimming the mile over, I have a friend who's a good swimmer and he did it, but he said that he wished that he wouldn't have. It was a l-o-n-g mile. Maybe you could rent a kayak? If you do the tour boat, I've heard the Fair Winds is really good. Not cheap, though.

From Captain Cook, it's probably around an hour and a half to get to the entrance to the Volcano National Park.

Question 2: Spend time in Kona? It's kind of fun to walk Ali'i Drive and window shop. Go to a farmer's market. How about the Sea Horse Farm?

Question 3: If you are comfortable driving a 4-wheel drive on a gravel mountain road, then it probably would be cheaper to rent one for the day rather than paying $200 per person. Did you particularly want to go to the top at night? Otherwise, you could just drive up to the visitor's center and, yes, there are no useful "interpreters" at the visitor's center. I believe that there are amateur astronomers who set up their telescopes at the visitor's center, so if you want to see stars you don't have to drive to the top in the dark.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,681 times
Question 1: The hike is strenuous, and i don't know if the trail head is near your bed and breakfast, but if you are an active person you can do it. It's very pretty too! you need no permit when doing it this way. I enjoy the tour boats, esspecially the Fairwind that can take you out, mornings are best. The other option is renting a kayak, but you need a permit for this and they are VERY VERY limited.

Question 3: First and foremost, I'll be honest in saying I worked at the Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station for a year and had a wonderful expirience. All the volunteers and employees I met were fully capable and amazing. It's entirely free, education and they have GREAT scopes that are not brought in by amatuers, they are owned and operated by Mauna Kea Support Services. They ussually have 3 large 12-16 inches, including a nice Meade, and 8-12 small scopes you can play with on your own and they will teach you to use. You will get better quality looks at the sky using these scopes, as the tour companies are limited to usually one scope your whole tour shares. You will save money buy renting a 4WD for a day and not doing the tour. Sure, you'll have to bring your own jackets and stuff, but really the tours, in my opinion, are only good if you are not a native English speaker or can not opperate a 4WD. I am an avid user of the Blue Revealed books that gives the VIS a bad reputation, but note that that review hasn't been changed or updated in several editions of the book, it remains the very same wording and everything. Also, be aware they do special events up there, sometimes, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. and there are nights where they invite amatuers out to share the arena and set their own scopes up. This does not happen often (and i can vouche that some them were wack-o). here is the site if you want to learn more and see what might be happening while you are there. Welcome to MKVIS - Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station

Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried to rep you both, but have to spread it around.

It looks like we're going to forgo Kohala coast & Mauna Kea this time. We'll be back in June, and do them both then. Right now, we're not staying over a Sat night, so we don't have the option to go to any of the special events. We'll try to remedy that next time... we'll drive ourselves up, do the guided group to the top on a Saturday, and hang around for the events.

Now, we've got three nights in Captain Cook and three in Volcano. I can check the Farmer's Market thread about when & where they are in Kona... is any one particularly recommended?

Still haven't decided about the hike to snorkel or go with Fair Winds... will figure it out today I guess. We'll be there this time next week!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,268,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
We're also going to snorkel Kealakakua Bay, because somehow we missed that last time. (What? I don't know how. We're lame.)/
Considering the impact of yesterday's tsunami, you might want to reconsider snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay...
Photos from Kealakekua Bay and Napoopoo | Hawaii247.com | Hawaii 24/7

Old 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
I've heard that the farmer's market in Volcano on a Saturday morning is good. They sell out early, though. Also a great farmer's market in Hilo on Saturday.

Since you will be spending three nights in Volcano, then that will give you time to do sightseeing around Hilo. In addition to all of the stuff at the Volcano National Park, you can go to Akaka Falls, the Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Gardens, Lava Tree State Park. And, have a lilikoi milkshake at Ken's House of Pancakes.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Oh man... I knew Kona was hit, but I hadn't heard about Kealakakua Bay... those pictures are something!

Maybe we'll play it by ear a bit, see what it's like when we arrive? I can't believe we're going to go there again and still not snorkel Kealakakua Bay... I think I'm going to request (we'll see if they grant it) the kayak permit. If things seem OK, we'll plan to kayak over one day. If not... we'll just have to head back again sometime, I guess.

Does anyone know if all the Kona side bays are suffering like this? Are there places that would be better & safer to snorkel?

As for the Volcano Market, isn't it on Sunday? I think we're going to miss it completely, because we arrive Sunday morning into Kona, so can't get there in time. We leave the following Saturday night. If it's really Saturday, we could do it before we go. But I'm pretty sure the Farmer's Market Thread said Sunday.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Well, the kayak place says they're going out to Kealakakua Bay today and it's OK. So we have a kayak reserved and a permit request in. (Thanks so much for the heads up about the permit! I never would've known that... it's too new a requirement to be in any of the guide books.) Hope for the best.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
As for the Volcano Market, isn't it on Sunday?
I live in Volcano, and the Farmers Market here is on Sunday morning, 6:30 - 9:30

As far as your visit to Kilauea is concerned, be sure to check the National Park website for viewing details, because the details change daily. Currently the only two viewing sites open to the public are in the park at the Jagger Museum overlook, which is open 24/7, and at the shore at the end of Highway 130 past Pahoa... open 2pm to 10pm. There's a lot of SO2 in the emissions so the Chain of Craters Road has been closed.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,424 times
Aloha newUHprof,

OK where do I start? umm oh thats easy lol

1) the best way to get to the monument side of the bay is to kayak / paddle board then snorkel but is the waves are down you can snorkel right off the beach there. but is the surf is up you may not want to.

2) south Kona hmm sound like you have done most you might want to see the black sand beach but i donʻt know lol

3) Mauna Kea.... I think you want to go at night if I remember correctly. but if you want to see it in the day time I have a friend with a friend that can get a inside tour just DM me and i will ask. The volcano is always good times if you want we could meet you up there (with the dog she loves it up there) and check it out .

Where are you doing the Dolphin swim at ?

Koa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island