Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,293,397 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will be spending several months (5 to 6) living in a parsonage at Waiokola Village (hope I spelled it correct). Any contributions in relation to what we can expect from this area of the islands would be appreciated. We have been told they have a great golf course. What else is there? Is it an area that has people of all ages or is this a retirement area? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
There are people of every age. A very small shopping center. It's kind of hot and windy in Waikoloa. You are near some nice beaches at the Hilton Resort are and up further north the Mauna Lani then Spencer Beach and Hapuna Beach (although I have heard they all have been changed up a bit since the tsunami!)

You're about 40 minutes from Kailua Kona and also about 30 minutes I guess, from Waimea where there is more shopping, restaurants etc. Do you have children? They have a really nice park in Waimea.

Yes they have a nice golf course. That's about it

Good luck, hope you enjoy your months on the Big Island.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,853 times
I stayed there for a few weeks until my house in Kona closed. The neighbors seemed really nice. You are pretty far from things like restaurants; there is a KTA grocery in the Village shopping center, and a gas station. Prices are higher there than in Kona; I recommend a Costco run with some frequency. Waimea is a great little town. The King's shops in Waikoloa Beach has a food court, some chains (Macaroni Grill, ugh) and some nice restaurants. As Konakat points out, you are close to great beaches. I was just at Hapuna Sunday and it's fine. You will definitely want to consolidate your errands. It is warmer and windy on that part of the island. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
It's the world's largest cul-de-sac and they have great garage sales but you can get lost in the winding streets while you are searching for them. You'll be able to get almost any household item you need on most any Saturday morning at a yard sale.

It's kinda on a long sloping hillside overlooking the ocean, but it's sort of dry and rocky. It's about as far to Waimea (wet and green) as it is to the beaches. Kailua is rather a bit away down a hot dry road, but you'll end up going there for supplies fairly frequently since they have more than Waimea.

Waikoloa has a large retirement flavor to it but there are also a lot of families of folks who work at the resorts. It was probably originally built as worker housing for hotel workers but there are a lot of retired folks and vacationing folks there, too.

You'll probably need a car to live in Waikoloa and one with air conditioning is always jolly on that side of the island.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. My husband will be there advising a church on an expansion project. I will be taking a leave of absence from my teaching job and would like to visit some of the island schools just to get a feel for how schools run there. We are excited about this opportunity to see another part of the world and how folks there live.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Just like anywhere else really although I think there's less grits, biscuits and gravy here. The grade school at Waiokola was built by the community, I think, and then given to the state Department of Education since if the state DOE would have had it built there would have been too many required expenses which means it wouldn't have ever been built. You could ask the folks there, they'd know the details.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Just like anywhere else really although I think there's less grits, biscuits and gravy here. The grade school at Waiokola was built by the community, I think, and then given to the state Department of Education since if the state DOE would have had it built there would have been too many required expenses which means it wouldn't have ever been built. You could ask the folks there, they'd know the details.
I read in an earlier post that it was built on an fairly-recent lava flow and is much darker that surrounding areas, and therefor hotter. Satellite Imagery shows this as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Looks like we will be spending several months (5 to 6) living in a parsonage at Waiokola Village (hope I spelled it correct). Any contributions in relation to what we can expect from this area of the islands would be appreciated. We have been told they have a great golf course. What else is there? Is it an area that has people of all ages or is this a retirement area? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Go to any subdivision in Arizona or Southern California and look around, that's Waiokoloa. Rumor has it that aliens beamed one of those subdivisions to Hawaii and the people never knew they were someplace else from the way it looks and feels.

The only thing that make you know you may not be in S. CA or AZ is the lack of Border Patrol vehicles. But there are some who are still confused and mistakenly call ICE when they see Hawaiians walking through a field thinking they are illegal mexicans.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Looks like we will be spending several months (5 to 6) living in a parsonage at Waiokola Village (hope I spelled it correct
No, you didn't, but most of us haoles* struggle with at least some of the names here. I start by trying to learn the pronunciation first, because written Hawaiian is quite phonetic.

To the best of my ability, this one is said: wy ko lo ah

And consequently it is spelled Wai ko lo a.... Waikoloa

Enjoy!

*haoles = foreigners, non-natives

Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the phonics lesson, OpenD. As a teacher, I really do want to get it correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island