Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

25 posts, read 67,685 times

Advertisements

All,

I will be moving to Oahu in August, and am wondering what to bring over from the mainland. The trick is, my new employer is paying my moving costs, so I have a small shipping container to fill. After my books, kitchen equipment, and a few small household items go in, I will still have room for several more boxes. What to bring? Are there any household goods that might be tough to find that I should pick up here? Any common items that are strangely expensive in Hawai'i?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,101,478 times
On the Big Island folks complain about the prices of mattresses. Your new house will likely have less square footage than the mainland counterpart, but if you bring too much stuff you can always have a yard sale.

Natural fabric clothing, things like 100% cotton/linen/silk bedding, etc. wear well in Hawaii's weather.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM

806 posts, read 2,345,453 times
I can't think of one thing I "need" from my house,
besides my good mattress....
(and heirloom things)

Most of it is easily replaceable at any of the discount stores or garage sales.
I loved the goodwill there!

OH, if you are into water sports, bring that gear, or buy it in the mainland first, it's probably cheaper..

Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,105,206 times
We sold everything but our keepsakes when we came over. It was expensive to replace even the basics. Not because it's that much more expensive there, but because it's just plain expensive to start over. When you build all the essentials up over time the cost doesn't really hit you. But think about it...go to Target and price what it would cost you to replace simple things like a vacuum, paper towels, cleaning suplies, etc...

If your employer is paying for a container, fill that puppy up. Much easier to sell stuff you don't need than to buy stuff you do.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
We sold everything but our keepsakes when we came over. It was expensive to replace even the basics. Not because it's that much more expensive there, but because it's just plain expensive to start over. When you build all the essentials up over time the cost doesn't really hit you. But think about it...go to Target and price what it would cost you to replace simple things like a vacuum, paper towels, cleaning suplies, etc...

If your employer is paying for a container, fill that puppy up. Much easier to sell stuff you don't need than to buy stuff you do.
Thanks, this is good advice. I figure I will bring a bunch of the little things that most people would forego, those who are paying for shipping - things like my bathmat, or trashcans, or lamps. I can imagine re-populating an entire apartment would be pricey.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,702,713 times
Bring all your kitchen drawer(s) items, knives, can openers, cooking tools, etc. Throw in spices too.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,310 times
I would second spices if you like to cook. My last visit to the mainland, I stocked up at World Market.

Are you male or female? If you're female, you may want to hit some clearance racks for things like swimsuits, sandals etc..because we wear these things year-round, you never see them discounted deeply.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post

This is good advice! I brought over a 20ft container and I'm glad I did. As I started pricing all new furniture, I would have easily spent 20K or more to replace the things I spent years accumulating.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,607,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRugby View Post
All,

I will be moving to Oahu in August, and am wondering what to bring over from the mainland. The trick is, my new employer is paying my moving costs, so I have a small shipping container to fill. After my books, kitchen equipment, and a few small household items go in, I will still have room for several more boxes. What to bring? Are there any household goods that might be tough to find that I should pick up here? Any common items that are strangely expensive in Hawai'i?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Is your job offer and their coverage of your expenses in writing? See other threads for the reason I'm asking...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Is your job offer and their coverage of your expenses in writing? See other threads for the reason I'm asking...
Yes, very much so! In good shape on that front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island