Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,451,376 times

Advertisements

Since i was reading the post about mopeds and do they get stolen there ..i started to look around for something a little more of a motorcycle set up and i found this type of moped ..

i would change out the storage unit to a larger unit to carry more items.. so here is some pictures of the unit ..i would add a windshield to the bike unit
Attached Thumbnails
how about something like this for use around the big island-4-l.jpg   how about something like this for use around the big island-1-l.jpg   how about something like this for use around the big island-5-l.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,541,776 times
As long as you can tolerate rain, that would be a better option than a regular 2 wheel bike.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
I wouldn't bother with it unless you just wanted it to ride, it probably wouldn't be all that useful in the real world. Too tippy and you can't haul much in it. It probably doesn't get all that good of gas mileage, either since it looks like over 800cc. Get a small car and you'll find it more useful.

Mopeds don't get stolen anywhere near as often on the Big Island as they do on Oahu so if you really want a moped on the Big Island, just get a moped.

The Big Island is big and there aren't that many areas which have a lot of mopeds because the distances most folks go is too far to make mopeds feasible. There is also too much rain on the windward side of the Big Island to make mopeds comfortable all the time.

A moped is great for most anyplace you want to go within five miles. They are good for getting people to places, but not so good for moving goods from place to place and usually on the Big Island, when you go to town, you bring back a truckload.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Since i was reading the post about mopeds and do they get stolen there ..i started to look around for something a little more of a motorcycle set up and i found this type of moped ..

i would change out the storage unit to a larger unit to carry more items.. so here is some pictures of the unit ..i would add a windshield to the bike unit
That would easily fit in the back of my truck. Seems like it would be even easier to steel than a regular motorcycle. Wouldn't even need a ramp!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,377,267 times
I just have to chime in, like a jerk, and say please learn something about motorcycles before you even think about buying one and riding one. I would assume right now, as you are calling everything a "moped" that you are not a rider and don't know much about them. If that's the case, please take a motorcycle class and get your license. This type of motorbike above is a lot harder to drive than a regular motorcycle, and by no means would ever be considered a moped. A moped is a motor-pedal bicycle type thing that only goes, at top speed of 29-35 and has a certain cc motor. Anything above that is considered a motorcycle, so even "scooters" which is an unofficial, non-legal, term, are considered motorcycles. that bike above, however, is totally boss and i wouldn't mind one myself!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM

129 posts, read 391,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
I just have to chime in, like a jerk, and say please learn something about motorcycles before you even think about buying one and riding one. I would assume right now, as you are calling everything a "moped" that you are not a rider and don't know much about them. If that's the case, please take a motorcycle class and get your license. This type of motorbike above is a lot harder to drive than a regular motorcycle, and by no means would ever be considered a moped. A moped is a motor-pedal bicycle type thing that only goes, at top speed of 29-35 and has a certain cc motor. Anything above that is considered a motorcycle, so even "scooters" which is an unofficial, non-legal, term, are considered motorcycles. that bike above, however, is totally boss and i wouldn't mind one myself!
I agree with everything except that last statement. You couldn't give me something like that. Trikes are harder to ride than a motorcycle, because they don't lean into turns, and they can tip over easily. Plus, it's harder to dodge potholes on one. A regular motorcycle leaves one track on the ground, a car leaves two. A trike leaves three. They're cute, but they are poor transportation.

Legally, anything with less than 50cc engine displacement does not require a license to drive. Most mopeds are 49cc.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:40 PM

312 posts, read 1,377,267 times
Yes, As I said they are much harder to drive, esspecially for someone who has no motorcycle expirience. That doesn't change my feelings that I like trikes (though I don't own one) and I find them interesting vehicles.

Most of the time, even when scooters are 49 cc, they round up to 50 cc for legal purposes, even when they don't, they usually go faster than 29-30 mph so are not considered mopeds. "on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour" The most common types in HI are Metros, Zumas, Ruckus', etc, they are considered 50cc, even though their title will say 49cc and usually go about 35mps. Even by HI law they are not considered mopeds (as they really are not anywhere) but they sell them and title them as so. HI has really wacky law-to-reality procedures as far as mopeds/motorcycles go and don't inact their law as it's written. But anyways, this trike would never be considered a moped, not even by wacky HI standards.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Harley Davidson makes several trikes. The Can Am Spyder turned the equation around, puts the twin wheels up front... and it's hawt, like a snowmobile on wheels/ You can even get a trike that leans in turns.

But in Hawai'i a moped is a 50cc bike that won't top 30mph. If you want to add a bike trailer behind it to carry your groceries, ummmm... good luck. But trying to make your own trike, based on a moped power-plant and transmission... as my late dad might have said... I suppose it's possible, but why in the heck would you even want to try?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 PM

219 posts, read 765,748 times
Spyder is a whole new game in 3 wheels. It is underpowered, but handling is top notch. Rust is the killer of many a fine ride.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,214,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
Spyder is a whole new game in 3 wheels. It is underpowered, but handling is top notch. Rust is the killer of many a fine ride.
I'll keep my "three-Wheeler" (a Titan, a Tundra and a Tacoma).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island