Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I moved to the Big Island in January and much to my dismay T-Mobile has very little 3g coverage on the Hilo side. Just wondering if any people with android phones have heard of 4G + CDMA + GSM + WiFi - Coverage maps at your fingertips | Sensorly | Sensorly its an app that android phones use to make "real" coverage maps of cell phone coverage. I have started to map the tmobile network since that is my personal phone. I have verizon for a work phone but its a BB, so I can't use the app. I am going to get rid of Tmobile and jump to Sprint or Verizon. I am just tossing this out there so maybe more people with sprint or verizon android devices can map the island out. I have no connection to 4G + CDMA + GSM + WiFi - Coverage maps at your fingertips | Sensorly | Sensorly .

Here is an engadget post about the app. Sensorly aims to keep coverage maps honest -- Engadget

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
TMobile seems to be pretty good on the west side, however I think that AT&T has the best coverage overall for the Big Island. Sprint used to be absolutely the worst but t hey could have improved, not sure.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 AM

Default more data needed

Right but Tmobile doesn't have much 3g on either side. ATT does seem to have good coverage. I have heard sprint has improved but how good is there 3g coverage? That is the question.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Your T-Mobile account will grab onto the nearest AT&T tower (reciprocity agreements) whenever you don't have T-Mobile service. However, AT&T doesn't have much 3G either. With the impending purchase of T-Mobile by AT&T, maybe things will improve - in a couple of years?

Don't hold your breath though. It can take more than a year to get a new cell tower approved, even when no opposition to the construction is mounted, due to the myriad of County permits required.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Good to know ATT doesn't have much 3g either. Verizon seems to have the most 3g but the most expensive plans. Does anyone know how good sprint's 3 coverage sprint has.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Sprint's coverage is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: