Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 112,538 times

Advertisements

So last year, I made a huge decision in my life and decided to move to hawaii and go to school at UH Hilo. I ended up spending a semester there and due to various reasons - expensive living off campus and I couldn't get into dorms, was supposed to have an awesome living arrangement with friends that didn't happen, and thought I was missing something by not being in a big city. Well, I tried a big city out and you know what, I think it's something I want to wait till at least after college to go back. Hilo wasn't the most exciting town in the world but I truly miss waking up everyday with the feeling of "being in Hawaii". I never hated Hawaii, just thought I was missing something somewhere else. Well, now that it's been a while the Islands have been calling me back to them.

I had said that I would never move back to Hawaii, but man, I am eating those words now.

Anyone else eating their words and moving back?

(I'll be back in January)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,601,716 times
It's not unusual at all. I moved here three times before settling permanently, I know others who have moved here 8 or more times. Hawaii can get under your skin.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 PM

51 posts, read 224,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHH24 View Post
So last year, I made a huge decision in my life and decided to move to hawaii and go to school at UH Hilo. I ended up spending a semester there and due to various reasons - expensive living off campus and I couldn't get into dorms, was supposed to have an awesome living arrangement with friends that didn't happen, and thought I was missing something by not being in a big city. Well, I tried a big city out and you know what, I think it's something I want to wait till at least after college to go back. Hilo wasn't the most exciting town in the world but I truly miss waking up everyday with the feeling of "being in Hawaii". I never hated Hawaii, just thought I was missing something somewhere else. Well, now that it's been a while the Islands have been calling me back to them.

I had said that I would never move back to Hawaii, but man, I am eating those words now.

Anyone else eating their words and moving back?

(I'll be back in January)
I wouldn't say I am eating my words. I knew Id miss Hawaii terribly when I left. I even started missing it before I left....if that makes any sense. I guess it was anticipatory missing. I was stationed there from 2007 to 2011 with the Army. I loved it. I never got island fever or missed the mainland. Even though all the naysayers and negative people around me couldn't wait to get off island and "go home". I knew that my home was where my heart was and I fell in love with Hawaii.

One guy made me so mad. I had just gotten back from Iraq and was exclaiming about the natural beauty of Hawaii and how glad I was to be back in such a beautiful, lush, green place. This guy got in my face and said, "Yeah, well wait till you're here for a while! You'll hate it too!" I was so angry with him for trying to ruin my experience with his negativity. After three years on the island I never once got tired of it, or got island fever or missed the mainland.

When I got out of the Army I moved to Portland. I thought I would like to try something new. A place I had never been before, but sounded beautiful. I mean, I couldn't exactly move somewhere ugly, like Phoenix, after living in Hawaii for three years. Well Portland IS beautiful and had many awesome things about it. However, it is not Hawaii and I am seriously thinking about moving back there. I would not have military benefits this time though, so financially it would be harder, which is the only thing holding me back at this point.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM

129 posts, read 371,785 times
Here in Boise, there are tons of people from Hawaii. We have like 4 'local' food places and some of the businesses have Aloha Friday at work where everyone wears their Aloha shirts. Pretty fun. We moved on and off 4X ourselves and we always have that itch to do it again. Hawaii does get under your skin like the other post said. It just has a certain vibe that you can't find anywhere else and unless you have lived there for awhile, no one can understand it. We left seeking better medical care, cost of living and affordable homes....well, we found all of that and yet still long to be back in Hawaii. Maybe someday soon....the last time we got the itch to move back we were there within 3 weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: