Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,930,273 times

Advertisements

It seems most of the hikes are up by Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We will be there for a couple days although will be in Kailua Kona for 2 weeks.

Does anyone know of hikes within a 30-45 minute drive from the Kailua Kona area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 PM

69 posts, read 235,835 times
Very interested in hearing about all possible hikes within an hour from Kona!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,696,948 times
Go to Kekaha Kai State Park north of Kona (google it) and hike to Makalawena Beach. My absolute favorite beach. Not a really long hike, but it is off the beaten path and you can spend some time walking the whole length of the beach.

Also, go to the Mauna Lani resort and walk through the fish ponds. Then you can get on the trail that goes along the coast. Don't know the name but you can find it on maps.

Another hike is to drive south from Kona to the Place of Refuge (Pu'uhonua O Honaunau). Go down the road to the south side of the visitor center and follow it to the beach. At the south end of the beach is a trail that you can follow for several miles along the coast.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,930,273 times
Thank you for this info. Makalawena Beach looks like a nice short hike to a very neat beach. The Place of Refuge hike looks like the 1871 Trail. We went to the Place of Refuge a few years ago but didn't have much time to spend there. Looks like a decent 2 mile hike with some historical value which will be a bonus!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,797,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Thank you for this info. Makalawena Beach looks like a nice short hike to a very neat beach. The Place of Refuge hike looks like the 1871 Trail. We went to the Place of Refuge a few years ago but didn't have much time to spend there. Looks like a decent 2 mile hike with some historical value which will be a bonus!
When I was there in March, almost all of Place of Refuge was closed due to hurricane damage. I'm not sure how much of it is opened back up... probably worth a phone call to find out before heading there.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,529,395 times
Here is a state site on hiking:

Na Ala Hele - Hawaii Trail System: Hawaii Trails

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM

575 posts, read 1,200,876 times
Just returned from two months on the Big Island. You might consider Lapakahi State Historical Park and Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site. Just a bit more driving than you asked about, but neat little hikes about a mile each and very interesting info about the Hawaiian culture along the way. Another neat hike (and a litlle closer) we did was to the Pukoa Petroglyph Field. It's probably 1.5 miles and the petroglyphs will amaze you.

You're right though, longer distance hikes are in Volcanoes National Park, but there are a few along the Saddle Road.

There's also a link to hikes at www.instanthawaii. com that we found to be helpful. It will describe some hikes you won't see in a guide book.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM

575 posts, read 1,200,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
When I was there in March, almost all of Place of Refuge was closed due to hurricane damage. I'm not sure how much of it is opened back up... probably worth a phone call to find out before heading there.

It is open.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,609,145 times
Check out the Mulawai Trail to the Waimanu Valley.. the trail starts right outside of Honokaa (a little over an hour from kona) in the Waipio valley You'll want two days.. check with the forest service for a camping permit.. although many camp without one. I've done this one a few times and while a bit strenuous, it's INSANELY beautiful!

Muliwai Trail to Waimanu Valley

Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,580 times
We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel last summer, and I discovered a trail that starts at the north end of the beach and continues north along the coast. It goes past a sacred site, then past multi-million-dollar homes. The ocean views are spectacular, as are some of the homes. I don't know how far the trail goes. I walked for less than a mile and then walked back. It's not challenging -- I was wearing rubber slippers, which I don't recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island