Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

This website, you can view who adheres to what religion in the County. It's from the 2010 census.

Here's a general breakdown of the top ten:

Catholic Church - 30,616
Buddhism, Mahayana - 27,069
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - 10,422
Evangelical Protestant - 3,551
Assemblies of God - 3,504
Foursquare Gospel, International Church - 2,511
United Church of Christ - 2,470
Southern Baptist Convention - 2,231
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - 1,676
Seventh-day Adventist Church - 1,246

LINK: http://www.thearda.com/rcms2010/rcms...y&Y=2010&S=adh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Interesting report, though it is not from the US Census, which does not collect data on religion. There is data on religions available in the US Statistical Abstract, but it is from a 2008 survey, and this is not that.

Following the source link, this data is from a 2010 survey of religious organizations by the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies (ASARB), and reports on how many people those organizations count as members.

The first thing of note to me is that this study shows only 49.5% of BI residents identified as members of religions, lower than the mainland.

The second surprise was to see a Jewish congregation of 60 people listed, way, way down the list. A couple of years ago I tried to locate a temple or synagogue for an incoming visitor who is Jewish, but I was unsuccessful. Even today, an internet search for "synagogue in hawaii county" pulls up a list of Buddhist temples, notably the various Hongwanji Missions scattered around the island. Digging a little deeper today, in case my friend wants to return for another visit, I found an online resource called mavensearch.org which lists a congregation in Volcano, but the address doesn't map except in Hilo, so I dunno.

Or should I say, oy vey!

Last edited by OpenD; 05-07-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
a list of Buddhist temples, notably the various Hongwanji Missions scattered around the island.
Is that related to ZEN SOTO? I saw quite a few of their missions or chapels or whatever it was...kind of catholic-church like inside with pews and altar and such...but all connected to Japan and Buddhism. Very cool, actually!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is that related to ZEN SOTO? I saw quite a few of their missions or chapels or whatever it was...kind of catholic-church like inside with pews and altar and such...but all connected to Japan and Buddhism. Very cool, actually!
I don't know, but they identify as being Shin Buddhist, dating back to the 1200's. The Puna Mission in Keaau has lovely gardens around it, including a lot of palms that have a distinctive bright red rib that I've never seen before.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The second surprise was to see a Jewish congregation of 60 people listed, way, way down the list. A couple of years ago I tried to locate a temple or synagogue for an incoming visitor who is Jewish, but I was unsuccessful. Even today, an internet search for "synagogue in hawaii county" pulls up a list of Buddhist temples, notably the various Hongwanji Missions scattered around the island. Digging a little deeper today, in case my friend wants to return for another visit, I found an online resource called mavensearch.org which lists a congregation in Volcano, but the address doesn't map except in Hilo, so I dunno.

Or should I say, oy vey!
Oy gevalt!

While there are no official synagogues on the Big Island, there's the "Kona Beth Shalom" congregation (which usually meets at the Keauhou Outrigger Beach Resort) and the "Chabad of the Big Island" (which gets together at various locations). Here are links to their websites...
Kona Beth Shalom
Chabad of the Big Island

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
I'm curious, only because it is a major belief on the island where I'm now located: are there many Rastafari on BI (or anywhere in HI?) I don't see that religion listed.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
I'm curious, only because it is a major belief on the island where I'm now located: are there many Rastafari on BI (or anywhere in HI?) I don't see that religion listed.
Again, I'm no expert, but my impression is that we have a handful of Rasta-wannabes, with their blonde dreadlocks, and their threads of Caribbean colors and their reggae music, but they're too busy smoking spliffs of pakalolo to actually get anything organized.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Oy gevalt!

While there are no official synagogues on the Big Island, there's the "Kona Beth Shalom" congregation (which usually meets at the Keauhou Outrigger Beach Resort) and the "Chabad of the Big Island" (which gets together at various locations). Here are links to their websites...
Kona Beth Shalom
Chabad of the Big Island
If my friend heads back I'll check that out, thanks, but the one listing I did find is still a puzzle: Or Yisroeil, 1100 Ainalako Rd., 60 members.

And oops, it's mavensearch.com , not .org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island