Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 72,438 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide what to do with my jewelry...

We are moving to Kona, and I am trying to decide whether I should take my jewelry with me. It is all insured, but I would be heartbroken if anything happened to any of it.

These are pieces that I wear for every day wear here on the mainland, so it is not jewelry that I just keep locked in the safe ( unless of course I am not wearing it that day).

I have:

My Wedding Ring, 5 Carats, insured for $50,000

2 Rolexes, (1 is my husbands and 1 is mine) Insured for $25,000.

Misc. Tiffany's Jewelry, necklaces, bracelets etc valued at $25,000.

I don't want to be the target of theft or violence for my wedding ring and other jewelry, but I would love to be able to wear it like I always do here, if that is advisable.

Otherwise, I have a built in safe at my home here on the mainland that I could leave it in, or maybe even a bank safety deposit box?

I would love your ideas!
Thanks!
-Kai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,797,345 times
Leave it home. One less thing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

941 posts, read 1,973,521 times
It really depends. Rings and simple adornments (simple necklaces and bracelets) are fine. For the big sparkly stones, Hawaii is not a dress-up and flashy kind of place, though there may be times and places you could wear it for pleasure or business--depending on your business and social circles. For the watches, it really depends if they are small and practical looking (OK to wear), or if they really do look like expensive jewelry (save for those special occasions).

Most business attire is casual, though some high-end financial, legal, and management is more dressed up. Or you might want to make an impression, but be careful around cultural norms (not that I know them, you need to get the feel for them yourself first). Local women do sometimes wear lots of jewelry, though it tends to be more the Hawaiian Heirloom variety. So you could wear some of it when appropriate.

Burglary is sometimes an issue in Hawaii. Many neighborhoods are totally safe, but all it takes is one drug addict to target a new neighborhood and everybody feels insecure for a while. Ideally, you'd bring or buy a small safe for your Hawaii home as well (the burglars most likely aren't real "professionals"). A safe-deposit box is ideal, if somewhat of an inconvenience.

Personally, I wouldn't leave them in your built-in safe. Will your mainland house be empty or occupied? You never know when you'll be back, and then you have this big chunk of sentimental wealth locked-up and far from you.

Be sure to check with your insurance either way, they may have restrictions for one reason or another. Also, they may not be able to insure you if you become a Hawaii resident and they are not licensed there, even if you leave the jewelry on the mainland.

BTW, I wouldn't put details about your jewerly on the internet as you have just done. Leave out the value and detailed descriptions and talk in general terms. Ask the moderators if you can edit it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,725,357 times
Flashy jewlery is sorta a turn off on the Big island. Many of the rich and famous when on Hawaii don;t wear those things cause its just not necessary. Because even the filty rich and the movie stars see no need to flaunt their jewlery, when people are walking around with it, its seen more like an attempt to make themself look important. Its not that there is anything wrong, just that its not so common that it does make people wonder whats up with that person? Now this doen;t apply when some TV or movie is being shot on the islands featuring all sorts of stars and it don;t apply when some Fortune 100 Executive conference is happening, but to see a regular resident person in the Sack & Save with a Rolex and dangling look-at-me jewlery, even I will think they are just strutting like a peacock.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM

270 posts, read 507,808 times
KauaiHiker...
BTW, I wouldn't put details about your jewerly on the internet as you have just done. Leave out the value and detailed descriptions and talk in general terms. Ask the moderators if you can edit it.[/quote]

I think the advice is very good. Personally, I am not an advocate of any of the social media and posting all types of personal info, about anything. Imagine having the same things written on roadside billboards along every interstate, Times Square, and autobahns in Europe, and it still pales in comparison to the exposure on the internet.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,717,202 times
Your "everyday" jewelry seems WAY too much for Kona. Have you spent much time here? Most people don't even wear watches, much less a fancy expensive Rolex. Unless you already know what your social circle is going to be like, and you know that you may have occasions to wear your bling, I'd plan to keep it in a safe deposit box somewhere. Sometimes I feel that my flashy wedding ring is out of place, and it's valued WAY less than yours. But I've never felt that I would be a target for theft.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM

18 posts, read 72,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
...even I will think they are just strutting like a peacock.
That is hysterical ! I have never thought of myself as a peacock, but I don't know if I will ever be able to look at my wedding ring again without thinking about your peacock comment!

As for all of the comments about discussing the details online, that is a good suggestion, but, could anyone ever really connect the dots from online to offline?

Lastly, I have never really thought much about my jewelry, it is just my wedding ring, and my every day watch that I wear whether I am wearing my zip up hoodie and sweats or dressing up for church, it is just what I wear every day without even thinking about it.

Now that you mentioned it, maybe my ring a bit larger and sparkly , but very tasteful, and has just become a part of me over the years.

I REALLY appreciate all of your comments.
-The Peacock

Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM

67 posts, read 159,897 times
It is a move to another state, not an appointment with the IRS. If you want to wear your jewelry wear it. But if you leave it, you have an excuse to go shopping at Tiffany's in Waikoloa!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,011,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
KauaiHiker...
BTW, I wouldn't put details about your jewerly on the internet as you have just done. Leave out the value and detailed descriptions and talk in general terms. Ask the moderators if you can edit it.

You can edit your own posts with the edit button in the bottom right

Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
People in Hawai'i are much, much, much less into ostentation and materialistic display than other folks in other places are. I have several very wealthy friends who could drive anything they wanted, but who drive rusty pickup trucks or Jeeps here. It's part of the appeal of being here that they can just relax about all that image stuff and enjoy what's going on.

If it means that much to you, leave it in a safe deposit box while you are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island