Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
Ditto

Those are nice houses, but hbh will they hold value?
Good question. Well i believe i can answer that question wirh common sence. As long as demand for housing and land, property rises in most places in Hawai'i it would be hard to believe that prices of homes, property will go down that much. Now of course homes, cars etc often lose value with time. But what makes most places in Hawaii different is often the demand and paradise tax will superced the true value of a home, property.As for the home it shouldnt matter if its a bamboo home or etc, as long as its in good condition. Ive seen sone pretty crappy places go for 200k etc because it was hawaii and good property. Take a look at the price of homes in Hawaii in the last 30 years. It is forcastted to continue to rise at the same rate the next 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Due

245 posts, read 379,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Good question. Well i believe i can answer that question wirh common sence. As long as demand for housing and land, property rises in most places in Hawai'i it would be hard to believe that prices of homes, property will go down that much. Now of course homes, cars etc often lose value with time. But what makes most places in Hawaii different is often the demand and paradise tax will superced the true value of a home, property.As for the home it shouldnt matter if its a bamboo home or etc, as long as its in good condition. Ive seen sone pretty crappy places go for 200k etc because it was hawaii and good property. Take a look at the price of homes in Hawaii in the last 30 years. It is forcastted to continue to rise at the same rate the next 30 years.
Good points!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
Good points!
Mahalo nui loa Due.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM

189 posts, read 260,491 times
"Take a look at the price of homes in Hawaii in the last 30 years."
Any link to where i can see these prices?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
"Take a look at the price of homes in Hawaii in the last 30 years."
Any link to where i can see these prices?
Well there are many websites that talk about the housing trend in hawaii from past to current and future. I like this one. Thou it doesn't give you exact prices for each house lol, it does give you the trend and why etc. Enjoy and mahalo for your question.

Honolulu Real Estate Trends: What's Next? - Honolulu Magazine - July 2013 - Hawaii

Oh what i liked was how you could buy almost five houses in vegas for 1 house in hawaii.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:10 PM

189 posts, read 260,491 times
Thank you but Honolulu is not Hawaii. The price action in Honolulu is quite different than on the other islands major cities especially Big Island. It is not a fair reference. On BI some areas i think did not evan cover inflation with the price appreciation over the last 30 years.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
Thank you but Honolulu is not Hawaii. The price action in Honolulu is quite different than on the other islands major cities especially Big Island. It is not a fair reference. On BI some areas i think did not evan cover inflation with the price appreciation over the last 30 years.
I have to agree that other islands can have cheaper housing but it usually balances itself out. Like the big island has cheaper housing then honolulu but goods tend to be a little more expensive on average. But mahalo i am not an expert on all hawaiian islands. Im also here to learn to.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Looking at the overall cost of living index and standard market basket surveys for average families, Honolulu calculates as being 50% more expensive overall than Hilo. Housing, as expected, is responsible for most of the difference.

Food actually surveys as slightly more expensive overall in Honolulu, but only by about 3%.* The Big Island grows more of its own food, and grocery store rents are lower, so that seems to offset higher shipping costs on food from the mainland.

Yes, health care, transportation, and utilities are all slightly higher on the Big Island, but when housing is less than half the cost, everything else combined doesn't even remotely "balance out."

*In the highly vaunted Safeway Sale Flyer comparison, the two cities show the same prices.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Looking at the overall cost of living index and standard market basket surveys for average families, Honolulu calculates as being 50% more expensive overall than Hilo. Housing, as expected, is responsible for most of the difference.

Food actually surveys as slightly more expensive overall in Honolulu, but only by about 3%.* The Big Island grows more of its own food, and grocery store rents are lower, so that seems to offset higher shipping costs on food from the mainland.

Yes, health care, transportation, and utilities are all slightly higher on the Big Island, but when housing is less than half the cost, everything else combined doesn't even remotely "balance out."

*In the highly vaunted Safeway Sale Flyer comparison, the two cities show the same prices.
Ok Mahalo OpenD, learn something new everyday.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That is short sighted to think one can punch in numbers in a calculator.

Lets take a $75,000 software engineer - most of the calculators (I won't bother linking since CDF seems to frown on that for some reason) I try suggest you need make $65K or so in Hilo.

Great. Where are you going to get that same job? Where are you going that get $75K in Honolulu with jobs paying $65K in Hilo?

I have a lot of staff that commute daily from Hilo. Hmmmm, How come? No equivalent job on the Big Island. Reality sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island