Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 AM

208 posts, read 837,105 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot of threads in various forums. And whenever Hawaiian weather comes up. Everyone quickly says, "Oh don't go to the Big Island. They have the worst weather." "It is always cloudy/rainy."

And I know one half of the island is usually sunny. And also that the whole island is more like a rain forest.

But is it really that bad?

Compared to Hawaii as a whole. The Big Island is the least expensive to live. But I don't want to go there and have to deal with mist and rain everyday.
Or wake up in the middle of the night and see lava heading up my driveway.

So Hawaiians....enlighten me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
I've been reading a lot of threads in various forums. And whenever Hawaiian weather comes up. Everyone quickly says, "Oh don't go to the Big Island. They have the worst weather." "It is always cloudy/rainy."

And I know one half of the island is usually sunny. And also that the whole island is more like a rain forest.

But is it really that bad?

Compared to Hawaii as a whole. The Big Island is the least expensive to live. But I don't want to go there and have to deal with mist and rain everyday.
Or wake up in the middle of the night and see lava heading up my driveway.

So Hawaiians....enlighten me!
I go to Hilo at twice a month for work - and while I appreciate the charm of the area - for me, the rain is really that bad. I've never been to Hilo and have a completely dry day. Sometimes rain all day but the late afternoon rain seems to be a constant cycle. And it isn't a gentle - think hard driving rain. Then of course the loud frogs are another topic....

Kona - Very dry. Very Sunny. It's also very hot.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
It depends. That's the best answer you can get

It really does depend on where you live. Obviously the Hilo side gets more rain, but it isn't constantly grey like Seattle. There have been discussions of this on various threads here, with input from people who do live Hilo side.

I live near South Point, which is approximately half way between Hilo and Kona. The area is supposed to average 40 inches per year, but that can vary by location and weather patterns. The first half of last year was a severe drought, so we got very little rain. Even in our subdivision (Discovery Harbour), rainfall amounts vary by elevation, with the higher elevations getting more measurable rainfall. Down the road in Ocean View, it can be raining on the Hilo side and not on the Kona side. It does rain here more in the winter, and it does rain more in the afternoons and evenings.

We are in Lava Zone 6, and do not worry about Pele "raining" on us.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Stupid Question: Does the sun ever come out in Hilo?

Not even in the height of the dry season?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Stupid Question: Does the sun ever come out in Hilo?

Not even in the height of the dry season?
Of course the sun comes out occasionally in Hilo.

I wouldn't charactarize Hilo as having a traditional dry season - it is more a wet and wetter season.

Climate in Hilo, Hawaii

Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
We do a lot of shopping trips to the Hilo side. Most of the time that we've been there, the sun has been out. My friend and I even put the top down on the convertible last time we went. Sometimes the rain will come through and be gone. Put the top up, take the top down, repeat......

There is no "dry season" in Hilo.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
It depends on what you are used to. Wiki says:

Hilo features a tropical rainforest climate (Koppen Af), with substantial rainfall throughout the course of the year. Hilo's location on the eastern side of the island of Hawaiʻi, (windward relative to the trade winds), makes it the third wettest designated city in the United States behind the southeast Alaskan cities of Ketchikan and Yakutat and one of the wettest in the world.

The stats say that Hilo gets 130 inches of precipitation per year, Ketchikan Alaska can get over 200 inches. That being said, "it depends on what you are used to". I lived through 14 years of the SE Alaska rain, Hilo is much preferable. For one, in Hawaii when it rains, its like the heavens open up and a flood falls from the sky. Some people say thats the worst part of the rain, but it isn't. Would you rather get 7 inches of rain over a 24 hour period and be more or less done with it until the next dump, or have the 7 inches start on April 7th and end on May 1st, with absolutely no break in between? (and then start again on May 3rd and continue for another 30-60 days, non-stop, without ever getting a break? Would you rather get your rain at tropical temperatures, or just above freezing? And of course, you don't have to shovel rain. For at least 4 months out of the year the SE Alaska precipitation falls as snow, which has to be moved around, is dangerous to drive in, and causes lots of injuries, can collapse roofs, etc. After experiencing both, Hilo rain is a walk in the park. Wet walk in the park. But yes, there are plenty of sun breaks to enjoy. And besides, if you get sick of it, you can drive for 2 hours and be in the hot dry sun again.

Here's some info for comparison. You might know some place near one of these locations:

Mobile, Ala.: 67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
Pensacola, Fla.: 65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
New Orleans, La.: 64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
West Palm Beach, Fla.: 63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
Lafayette, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
Baton Rouge, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
Miami, Fla.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
Port Arthur, Texas: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
Tallahassee, Fla.: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
Lake Charles, La.: 58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days

If that wasn't too much information, Hilo isn't the wettest part of the Big Island. As you go up in elevation you can go up in rainfall. More info:

RAINFALL – If the islands of the State of Hawaii did not exist, the average annual rainfall upon the water where the islands actually lie would be about 25 inches. Instead, the actual average is about 70 inches. Thus the islands extract from the air that passes across them about 45 inches of rainfall that otherwise would not fall. That the mountains are dominantly responsible for this added water bonus is evident from annual rainfall maps, which show the tremendous amounts of rainfall deposited in mountainous areas in the average year. In many mountainous areas of the State these depths exceed 240 inches, or 20 feet. At Mt. Waialeale, on Kauai, the annual average reaches the extraordinary total of 486 inches – over 40 feet. This is the highest recorded annual average in the world.

Here's a rainfall map that may help:

What's that you say? Still not enough information? Well I'm here to help:

Number of Sunny Days

In the table below, the average number of Sunny Days for a city in Hawaii is the total days in a year when the sky is mostly clear. This includes the days when cloud covers up to 30% of the sky during daylight hours. Partly Sunny Days have cloud covering from 40% to 70% of the sky during the daytime. The rest of the days are mainly overcast, with at least 80% cloud cover. Total Days With Sun is a sum of the Sunny plus Partly Sunny days. All the numbers are annual averages, made from years of weather watching.

City............... Sunny Days.......Partly Sunny Days....Total Days With Sun
Hilo...................36......................... 132............................168................ .(168 by comparison to 86 with Yakutat, Alaska)
Honolulu............90.........................181 ............................271
Kahului, Maui......131.......................145........... .................276
Lihue, Kauai........56........................184........ ....................240

Enough info... No?

Amount of Sun
Here's another way to look at how much sunshine a city gets. The % Sun number measures the percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground. Again, these amounts are yearly averages based on many years of weather observations.

Percent sunshine yearly

Hilo...............41%
Honolulu........71%
Kahului......... 67%
Lihue.............59%

So to summarize, it depends on what you are used to. If you are used to Arizona, Hilo will be wet as heck. If you are used to SE Alaska, you'll get almost 100 more days of sun, 30 less inches of rain, and 200 less inches of snow in Hilo.

Last edited by terracore; 03-10-2012 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Post is now 30% more informative than before.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM

181 posts, read 585,674 times
From the tone of your question, I would advise you to not move to the Hilo area. It does rain a lot here. Sometimes days and even weeks at a time. Even the locals who were born here start getting antsy.

For myself when its raining, I look at it as free, effortless watering of my fruit trees, but if you are not planning on serious gardening or farming, I'd stay away.

Like others have said, the Big Island has many climates. Hapuna Beach on the west side gets only about 15 inches a year (and looks like a desert).

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
From the tone of your question, I would advise you to not move to the Hilo area. It does rain a lot here. Sometimes days and even weeks at a time. Even the locals who were born here start getting antsy.

For myself when its raining, I look at it as free, effortless watering of my fruit trees, but if you are not planning on serious gardening or farming, I'd stay away.

Like others have said, the Big Island has many climates. Hapuna Beach on the west side gets only about 15 inches a year (and looks like a desert).
Does it rain a lot in Paaulio?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Nope, Paauilo has a lot less rain than Hilo. Enough rain to stay nice and green yet enough sun that all that rain turns instantly into taller plants. Paauhau is a nice sunny spot although they have that long road uphill to get to the highway. Once you get past Honokaa (starting from Hilo) along the Hamakua coast, it starts getting into the foggy afternoon type weather similar to the wet side of Waimea. Between Honomu and Honokaa is pretty sunny although as you go higher in altitude it can rain more. Above Honokaa is Ahualoa which has totally different weather than Honokaa yet it is only about two miles away. Ookala is much sunnier than Laupahoehoe yet they are about seven minutes from each other.

Even though Hilo has high rainfall, it's got loads of sunshine, too. When it rains, it will rain for a few minutes then stop. Sometimes it rains while the sun is shining, too, so you can have rain and sunshine. That totally screws the numbers when it comes to trying to figure out how many rainy days are in Hilo.

Are you trying to find a place to live or a place to vacation? If you are considering living here, then rent a place near where you'd want to live for awhile before even considering buying a house. You'll have time to see if it is an area that is suitable for you. As you live here, you'll be able to see what the weather patterns are in the areas you're considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island