Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
Perhaps it isn't as necessary in Hawaii? Our little territory actually has two competing companies that provide it, MASA and SkyMed. Basic coverage is about $10 a month; I sprung for the Florida option for $18 a month.
In Alaska I use Apollo MT. From what I remember its supposed to cover air or ground ambulance charges anywhere. $125/year per family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
It seems to me that another big expense would be if a spouse or family member would need to fly to and stay on O'ahu while you are in the hospital. I doubt any insurance company would cover that(I could be wrong). So, I would suggest making sure your rainy day savings account can cover such a thing.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
Good idea, McFrosty.

Down here, MASA and SkyMed do cover a loved one's accompanying flight. It sure is a sweet deal for the monthly premium.

Thanks to all for the info. Just one more thing to look into before we arrive.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM

431 posts, read 940,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
It seems to me that another big expense would be if a spouse or family member would need to fly to and stay on O'ahu while you are in the hospital. I doubt any insurance company would cover that(I could be wrong). So, I would suggest making sure your rainy day savings account can cover such a thing.
You beat me to it, McFrosty.
Another issue: if the transport is deemed medically necessary it will most likely be covered, for the patient. I don't believe airfare for the family would be covered.
But problems may arise when you have issues with the medical care on your island and want to get treatment on Oahu because you may feel that the care there is more advanced (which it very often is). The insurance carrier may argue that treatment for your problem is available on your island and then you're in for a fight. You may end up paying for more than just the flight.
Costs for neighbor island residents while family members are receiving treatment here: Some hospitals have agreements with hotels on Oahu to provide a reduced rate for family members of patients. Queens will send you to the Pagoda, for example, for about $70/night. Cheap by Oahu hotel standards but a huge expense for many.
I have known neighbor island family members to spend their entire time at the hospital on Oahu, pretty much camping in the lobby, waiting areas, or in the patient's room. Showers at the beach. They simply do not have the money to do otherwise.
So yes, sock away a BIG rainy day fund, just in case. Airfare, accommodations, meals. Lost wages, too...
Sock away an even bigger rainy day fund if you end up having to go to the mainland for treatment that is not available at all in Hawaii.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
My neighbors are going to Honolulu for eye surgery since their doctor doesn't recommend what's available here. However, since there is something available here, their medical won't cover the airfare or anything else. I think they get the surgery on Oahu covered, but nothing else. They will be paying the air fare out of pocket for two round trip flights for both of them which is roughly $600. Fortunately, they have some friends to stay with or that amount could triple.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Medical travel from a neighbor island .....

Within the past 3 months we have paid OUT OF POCKET for a couple of trips to Oahu, because our HMSA policy DOES NOT COVER AIRFARE, EVEN IF IT IS FOR TREATMENT THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THE NEIGHBOR ISLANDS. As for "discounts" at hotels, it is "space available", thus if it is a busy time, you are out of luck on a discount rate.

Add it to your budget folks. No jumping in the car and driving. If you need an Oahu facility, you are probably going to pay out of pocket. [Except Kaiser will usually cover airfare and taxi for the patient (not family members) to Oahu, IF you can convenience them that you need to be seen there.]

Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Kaiser has a van that picks patients up at the airport, no taxis for them. The shuttle bus seems to almost be in continuous operation, I don't know if there are that many outer island patients or if they just schedule them all on one day so the shuttle bus will stay busy or what.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kaiser has a van that picks patients up at the airport, no taxis for them. The shuttle bus seems to almost be in continuous operation, I don't know if there are that many outer island patients or if they just schedule them all on one day so the shuttle bus will stay busy or what.
That's nice they utilize a van in addition to taxi's. HMSA offers nothing that I know of. (Some hospitals, such as Queens, runs its own van M-F)

Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Medical travel from a neighbor island .....

Within the past 3 months we have paid OUT OF POCKET for a couple of trips to Oahu, because our HMSA policy DOES NOT COVER AIRFARE, EVEN IF IT IS FOR TREATMENT THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THE NEIGHBOR ISLANDS. As for "discounts" at hotels, it is "space available", thus if it is a busy time, you are out of luck on a discount rate.

Add it to your budget folks. No jumping in the car and driving. If you need an Oahu facility, you are probably going to pay out of pocket. [Except Kaiser will usually cover airfare and taxi for the patient (not family members) to Oahu, IF you can convenience them that you need to be seen there.]
I assume this was non-emergency treatment?
Emergency evac by air would be covered.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I assume this was non-emergency treatment?
Emergency evac by air would be covered.
"Lifesaving" yes, but "emergency" no (ie nobody was bleeding to death or in the middle of a heart attack).

It adds up. Two adults averages $200 RT each (unless you want to travel on cheapest airfare vs flights that coincide with the doctor's appointments) = $400. Car rental & gas $50. One meal at $10 each, plus beverage/snack at the airport after a tiring day $10 = $30.

$480, for 2 people to do a one day run to Oahu for a doctor's visit/procedure.

Last edited by CyberCity; 03-21-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island