Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM

65 posts, read 67,621 times

Advertisements

Hey i'm at 1400 feet too! we must be close by, are you on the same street as the Flyin' Hawai'ian coffee truck? it's right across the street from my house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
Don't be.
I live "in town" and the highway is very noisy. There's a select few people in the camp that have no respect for others, so it's dogs barking, roosters crowing, motorbikes and ATVs whining... with your occasional idiot revving his fart-exhaust while trying to hit 50mph in a 25.
Only temporary at this spot though, hoping to start building soon.
I don't know anything about construction, but if I can help somehow, I'd like to. I know there's some things an unskilled laborer can do, like lifting stuff or mixing concrete or holding a ladder down, tool caddy, etc, and that stuff is useful.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:08 PM

85 posts, read 98,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
I don't know anything about construction, but if I can help somehow, I'd like to. I know there's some things an unskilled laborer can do, like lifting stuff or mixing concrete or holding a ladder down, tool caddy, etc, and that stuff is useful.
No worries, thanks though.
Retirement has made me bored and fat... and I'm young still - I need something to do.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
This discussion just shows how you can never tell anyone what the weather or climate is like on the Big Island. As we've discussed here many times, rainfall amounts even within a particular subdivision can vary by elevation.

I live in the same subdivision as glassnumbers and I agree -- it has been really wet recently. Clouds start forming in the morning and by afternoon we start getting rain. Of course, that comes after several weeks of no rain at all. However, at my elevation of 1400 feet, I get twice as much rain as those in my subdivision at 800 feet, and about half of what my friend gets just up the road at 2400 feet. And it's only about five miles from the 800 foot location to the 2400 foot location. We all use the exact same rain gauge and report our daily rainfall at 7:00 every morning.

So who can say how much rain falls in Ka'u?????
LOL, I can get different weather walking out of my house depending on which door I go out. Back Lanai, ho bra, suns' out. Go out front Lanai, eh, looks like choke rain today.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,939 times
Quote:
Don't be.
I live "in town" and the highway is very noisy. There's a select few people in the camp that have no respect for others, so it's dogs barking, roosters crowing, motorbikes and ATVs whining... with your occasional idiot revving his fart-exhaust while trying to hit 50mph in a 25.
Only temporary at this spot though, hoping to start building soon.
This is EXACTLY why we left the Big Island(lived in Honoka'a for 13 years, wife born and raised in Waimea). All of what you mentioned was literally driving us insane. Wishing you all the best with your build.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM

85 posts, read 98,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
This is EXACTLY why we left the Big Island(lived in Honoka'a for 13 years, wife born and raised in Waimea). All of what you mentioned was literally driving us insane. Wishing you all the best with your build.
I can't say I expected much else to be honest when it comes to the traffic noise. Living right on the highway in a small rural town... it's to be expected to say the least. I'd be ill-spoken if I didn't admit to being the sort to not care about such things when I was in my youth, with loud exhaust on my truck and radio blaring as I drove through town.
It's the disgusting trash-music (if you can call it music) that the younger ones blast as they sit in parking lots smoking pot and just seeing who can yell the loudest.... that's the most bothersome as it can be completely avoided. Kids having kids has produced some of the worst behaved youth I've ever seen... and the mouths on these kids! I hear 5 year old calling each other 'fa**ots' or saying 'suck my c**k' to one another. Yes, 5 year olds. The same kids in class with my 5 year old.

Regarding the place I'll be building soon...
It's a quiet area, well removed from all the nonsense and completely off-grid. In an area where I already know a good portion of people where the crime is next to nothing.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,939 times
Quote:
I can't say I expected much else to be honest when it comes to the traffic noise. Living right on the highway in a small rural town... it's to be expected to say the least. I'd be ill-spoken if I didn't admit to being the sort to not care about such things when I was in my youth, with loud exhaust on my truck and radio blaring as I drove through town.
It's the disgusting trash-music (if you can call it music) that the younger ones blast as they sit in parking lots smoking pot and just seeing who can yell the loudest.... that's the most bothersome as it can be completely avoided. Kids having kids has produced some of the worst behaved youth I've ever seen... and the mouths on these kids! I hear 5 year old calling each other 'fa**ots' or saying 'suck my c**k' to one another. Yes, 5 year olds. The same kids in class with my 5 year old.

Regarding the place I'll be building soon...
It's a quiet area, well removed from all the nonsense and completely off-grid. In an area where I already know a good portion of people where the crime is next to nothing.
I hear you. I don't doubt you for a second. I've seen it all. Very disturbing. It's a bummer because my wife is half Hawaiian born and raised and she just couldn't take the mentality anymore. It's almost like a 3rd world country in certain areas. Very, very sad. Off the grid is great and all, you just have to deal with a whole other mentality. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 AM

Aloha! who are the Discovery Harbor night time skaters? they don't make any noise or anything, I have no complaint, I just noticed that at around 8 o clock tonight, a group of people with flashing rainbow lights skated past, they could have been riding hoverboards too, considering their relative speed. I just wanted to say hi and ask them what their thing was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island