Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM

45 posts, read 130,287 times

Advertisements

Christina Chris,
You could find out by contacting a local insurance agent. On the forum punaweb.org there is an agent that posts named Dan Soto who can give quotes. You could use the search fumction to get his contact information.

I also own a lot in Discovery Harbour and find that it is a very nice area and low in theft and breakins. Plus for the money it has much more than surrounding areas. Babette is correct, many people love the area!
Lucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Actually, there is another way. There are a number of people in Discovery Harbour and Ocean View who commute to jobs in Kona every day. There are a couple of buses that run between the south end of the island and Kona, but it's a heck of a long ride. With the lack of any employment down here, there's really not much of a choice for those who need an income.
I agree that commuting to Kona is an option but with most jobs being minimum wage or there abouts I would think it's a losing proposition. Plus there is that 1.5 hour commute as you mentioned.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,282 times
The post by freeandclear is accurate and honest. Someone in Kona said "there is nothing there!" ...which is exactly why I was going there. I fell in love with southpoint. I bought an empty lot in DH with view of the ocean. The county water connection, developed roads and the lava zone rating of the area appealed to my practical side and the location to my romantic side. I may not build for another 7-8 years.
CA resident

Last edited by CAresident; 02-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 32,539 times
Default Discovery Harbor

Does anyone know the status of the golf course? My wife and I live in Quincy, CA and are considering retiring to the big island. We are visiting in
April to look at property in various areas. She likes remote places like west Molakai, while I like availability to hiking and communities. How does this fit with DH.

At present to go to the city, we travel 1.5 hours to reno or 2 hours to chico. However, we do live in a small rural community with amenities at present, including a lot of snow....

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
The status of the golf course is that a group of investors bought it and apparently don't have the money to maintain it. So currently they are doing minimal mowing, with various residents using their own equipment to mow the roughs and tall grass behind their properties. People who live in the subdivision go out and play almost daily, using their own golf carts.

We are in talks with the property owners about perhaps forming a separate LLC to maintain and manage the course, but it is very, very slow going. The property owners are in the process of fixing the golf course clubhouse, and have stated that they have a lease with a restaurant to open soon.

DH is about an hour and a half to either Kona or Hilo. We mostly go to Kona because that's where Costco is.

Email me privately if you would like the name of a really good realtor in the DH area.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Moving to he big island hopefully.

We already have a realtor who will be showing properties during the first week of April. However, the more information we can gather about living in DH, vs rural Kona area we would like.

Besides the obvious location of DH and remoteness. Why not live in a rural area closer to Kona either north of or south of? I am asking to gain perspective. Are there benefits to DH that are beyond the obvious, or do many consider and find they prefer Kona for easy access.

I can see the drive to Costco. My wife and I usually go once/month either to Reno or Chico which is 90 minutes from Quincy, CA either way. Is Hilo, timewise any closer, and what are the road conditions either way?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
The drive from Kona to DH is on a very windy road, usually at 35 mph. The road to Hilo is much straighter, and you can actually go 55 or more for a lot of it. Timewise, about equal.

I would imagine that someplace like Captain Cook would be a rural area closer to Kona, if that's what you want. We just happened to land in Ka'u, and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiouchi View Post
We already have a realtor who will be showing properties during the first week of April. However, the more information we can gather about living in DH, vs rural Kona area we would like.

Besides the obvious location of DH and remoteness. Why not live in a rural area closer to Kona either north of or south of? I am asking to gain perspective. Are there benefits to DH that are beyond the obvious, or do many consider and find they prefer Kona for easy access.

I can see the drive to Costco. My wife and I usually go once/month either to Reno or Chico which is 90 minutes from Quincy, CA either way. Is Hilo, timewise any closer, and what are the road conditions either way?
There isn't much rural north of Kona (Puu lani Ranch) at about 2,000 feet...Captain Cook south has a more rural feel to it. You will be in a different lava zone (2 or 3) in that area. Waikoloa is the nearest development of any size north of Kona (30 miles) with a different climate (warmer and windy).

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Default What about the Vog?

Would you say, DH is better or worse that the Kona side. I was reading a piece on the Vog and originally thought north Kona was better but now am not convinced...

I do like golf, lousy at it but love to laugh and enjoy the day away. On West Molokai there is a course that locals maintained and is now abandoned...but people still have condos and enjoy the quiet beach. Great weather there! However, the course is no more, in fact the owners even chopped down the palms to stop the locals from maintaining a few greens.

Are there any HO fees in DH, if so what are they?
How much does the monthly power bill run?
How much does the monthly water bill run?

Would love to learn more...from your experiences.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Default What about medical?

I am 52 and looking to retire between 55 & 58. My wife is older - how do you deal with medical? Is there an ambulance service in the area?

We are planning on looking at some small three bedroom homes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island