Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM

63 posts, read 136,871 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot about it here but tried to keep in mind, when a Haole gets racism dumped all over them....well maybe I don't understand. I don't know what the situation is, etc.
Now I just told an aquaintance, very cheerfully, I have a job app in Honolulu and I think I have a good chance of getting the job.
Turns out she just returned from the BI after 6 months and told me I'd be insane to live there.
Her experiences-
She and her equally attractive 20 something year old female friend took the bus. Everyone stink eyed them, told them they have no shame and displayed disgust that they were just sitting in a seat on the bus.
They go out to dinner with a marine friend, were heckled on the sidewalk before they even got in the place. Some little Mexican restaurant. Once inside they got to order after countless people came in, sat, ate, left. The hecklers came in and sat also. Angry stink eye waitress took their order, the girls got their food about a half hour later. Half hour after that, the Marine had his food dumped on the table cold. They left being heckled out of the place and all the way down the sidewalk for a loooong time.
They took turns watching their belongings on the beach while watching the natives walk along and casualy take everyone's S*^>t like brand new shoes and things.
Time to leave after 6 months. She got a cab, she knew she was going to be messed with but had to get to the airport. It was 10 minutes away. She got dropped off 45 minutes later after a tour of the back roads.
I'm in deep sorrow that I should actually consider not taking the job. I'm not a bully, nor violent, nor a tough guy but I have the feeling I'll be put in a situation that will get me in a lot of trouble with the corrupt police and court system. All because I wanted to give my kids an exciting change in life. I guess it's no hype. Racism is strong on the Big Island. It seriously breaks my heart.
I don't know how people go about their day and ignore being heckled, treated unfairly, so on. I'm told you just "Turn up your iPod and enjoy the scenery".
It's disheartening.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbayforce View Post
I've read a lot about it here but tried to keep in mind, when a Haole gets racism dumped all over them....well maybe I don't understand. I don't know what the situation is, etc.
Now I just told an aquaintance, very cheerfully, I have a job app in Honolulu and I think I have a good chance of getting the job.
Turns out she just returned from the BI after 6 months and told me I'd be insane to live there.
Her experiences-
She and her equally attractive 20 something year old female friend took the bus. Everyone stink eyed them, told them they have no shame and displayed disgust that they were just sitting in a seat on the bus.
They go out to dinner with a marine friend, were heckled on the sidewalk before they even got in the place. Some little Mexican restaurant. Once inside they got to order after countless people came in, sat, ate, left. The hecklers came in and sat also. Angry stink eye waitress took their order, the girls got their food about a half hour later. Half hour after that, the Marine had his food dumped on the table cold. They left being heckled out of the place and all the way down the sidewalk for a loooong time.
They took turns watching their belongings on the beach while watching the natives walk along and casualy take everyone's S*^>t like brand new shoes and things.
Time to leave after 6 months. She got a cab, she knew she was going to be messed with but had to get to the airport. It was 10 minutes away. She got dropped off 45 minutes later after a tour of the back roads.
I'm in deep sorrow that I should actually consider not taking the job. I'm not a bully, nor violent, nor a tough guy but I have the feeling I'll be put in a situation that will get me in a lot of trouble with the corrupt police and court system. All because I wanted to give my kids an exciting change in life. I guess it's no hype. Racism is strong on the Big Island. It seriously breaks my heart.
I don't know how people go about their day and ignore being heckled, treated unfairly, so on. I'm told you just "Turn up your iPod and enjoy the scenery".
It's disheartening.
It's disheartening that this subject has been beaten to death including a recent thread that was closed. Where do you folks come up with this stuff.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Well, then help someone out if you want to rant so badly. Fill me in. Obviously it's a huge ongoing problem in Hawaii.
Where do I come up with it?
Guess you read nothing and just posted just to post.
Are you a Haole? If so do you experience that?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,721,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbayforce View Post
It's disheartening.
The story is a crock, never happened to her or the marine, she made it all up to cover her failure to make it work on Hawaii. That same exact story is told about the couple from Kaui, but it was italian resturant. The same exact story was told about that married couple from Maui. You be around long enough you hear the same storeies ove and over again, just a differetn resturnat, a different cab ride to the airport, but its all just made up and has beome a cult story because since its based ont he same story, after awhile people keep hearing the similar story from several people and start thinking its true.

Is there racisim, yes just like everywhere, but hawaii probably has the lowest amount of racism of all the states just that the people who now are the receivers are usuasally those who elsewhere are the givers. So since they are not use to being the minority, every little thing causes them to react in such a big way. And as has been discussed over and over again, many times the negative things has nothing to do with the person but their actions.

So you may wonder whyt they use race or soemthing like that instead of the real rasosn. Well let me ask you this, if you had a dream to live somewhere and you have pumped yourself and othets up about your dream and you are heaing out to live that dream, if you fail, which is easier:
A- I failed because I was unprepeared, didnl;t have enough money saved, had the wrong job skills, found out it cost a heck of a lot more to buy essentials, that there was no hold each other hand commune lifestyle, and I didnl;t speak any asian language that gave me an endge so basically I was full of dreams but no reality.
OR
B - It wasn;t my fault, it wasn;t me, it wasn't my own stupidity, OH NO it was ahhh, ahhh, RACE, yes thats it race, something i have no control over so therefor never think I screwed up, no it was them cannibals who didn;t like me and made everything as bad as possible for me to make it.

I am so white that if I fall asleep on a park bench, I will get poked or find an emt checking my pulse. I have many white friends who have come to hawaii with a dream and nothing else. When they failed they always blamed race. I also have friends who came with a dreams and a plan. Almost all that failed blamed their plans or unexpected expenses but seldom race. Race is a card used to cover stupidity. Afterall they aren't coming back so why not bad mouth the people and place. That keeps them from having to explain their own failures. I have never experience any real conflict over skin color and nationality or any of the other issues we hear so much about, and believe me, I travel in the areas of hawaii where it would have been a issue had it existed to the level so many people on the mainland claim it is.

Don;t let those who fail but can't admit failure overwhelm you with their story of race issues and hatred. They use race because its the only think they had no control over and does not reflect on them as a person. They need you to belive them and thats why these stories get more horrifying each and everytime its repeated. They want you to change your mind. they fear that you may go to Hawaii and live a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing and rewarding life which exposes their failures for what they really are, and race wasn't the reason . All they want is to spread a story that may keep you from enjoying what they themself failed at!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,396,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The story is a crock, never happened to her or the marine, she made it all up to cover her failure to make it work on Hawaii. That same exact story is told about the couple from Kaui, but it was italian resturant. The same exact story was told about that married couple from Maui. You be around long enough you hear the same storeies ove and over again, just a differetn resturnat, a different cab ride to the airport, but its all just made up and has beome a cult story because since its based ont he same story, after awhile people keep hearing the similar story from several people and start thinking its true.

Is there racisim, yes just like everywhere, but hawaii probably has the lowest amount of racism of all the states just that the people who now are the receivers are usuasally those who elsewhere are the givers. So since they are not use to being the minority, every little thing causes them to react in such a big way. And as has been discussed over and over again, many times the negative things has nothing to do with the person but their actions.

So you may wonder whyt they use race or soemthing like that instead of the real rasosn. Well let me ask you this, if you had a dream to live somewhere and you have pumped yourself and othets up about your dream and you are heaing out to live that dream, if you fail, which is easier:
A- I failed because I was unprepeared, didnl;t have enough money saved, had the wrong job skills, found out it cost a heck of a lot more to buy essentials, that there was no hold each other hand commune lifestyle, and I didnl;t speak any asian language that gave me an endge so basically I was full of dreams but no reality.
OR
B - It wasn;t my fault, it wasn;t me, it wasn't my own stupidity, OH NO it was ahhh, ahhh, RACE, yes thats it race, something i have no control over so therefor never think I screwed up, no it was them cannibals who didn;t like me and made everything as bad as possible for me to make it.

I am so white that if I fall asleep on a park bench, I will get poked or find an emt checking my pulse. I have many white friends who have come to hawaii with a dream and nothing else. When they failed they always blamed race. I also have friends who came with a dreams and a plan. Almost all that failed blamed their plans or unexpected expenses but seldom race. Race is a card used to cover stupidity. Afterall they aren't coming back so why not bad mouth the people and place. That keeps them from having to explain their own failures. I have never experience any real conflict over skin color and nationality or any of the other issues we hear so much about, and believe me, I travel in the areas of hawaii where it would have been a issue had it existed to the level so many people on the mainland claim it is.

Don;t let those who fail but can't admit failure overwhelm you with their story of race issues and hatred. They use race because its the only think they had no control over and does not reflect on them as a person. They need you to belive them and thats why these stories get more horrifying each and everytime its repeated. They want you to change your mind. they fear that you may go to Hawaii and live a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing and rewarding life which exposes their failures for what they really are, and race wasn't the reason . All they want is to spread a story that may keep you from enjoying what they themself failed at!
it's so old, they had to update "Turn up your Ipod" from "Turn up your Walkman"...

Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
, That story was so over the top ridiculous that it isn't even credible.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,061 times
BS. It's happened thousands of times, that and the cannibalism!! Just google it if you're not sure....

Gotta love the internet

Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Well at least some responses were entertaining.
True none the less. Every word of it.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,971 times
Sounds silly to me. You reap what you sow, and I suspect those young women were doing or saying something inappropriate.

We've talked to dozens and dozens and dozens of people who have lived in HI or visited and only ONE of them experienced problems there.

This same person also gets customer complaints over and over and over on our own little island. It isn't them. It's her. She spent 20 minutes one day telling me how awful the Hawaiians were to her (I couldn't get away, yikes!) but I can't tell you how many people have told me what a b*t*h she is to customers and co-workers (I'm a former co-worker and I heartily concur). To a person, everyone else we've spoken to said we are going to be welcomed by the people in Hawaii. But then, those people know how friendly and relaxed and open-minded we are here on our own island.

My partner and I are not worried about this so-called racial hate. We are a Caucasian minority on our island, and we have no problems. We can go all day...post office, bank, grocery store, gas station...and not see another white face. Yet everyone is friendly and kind, or, at the worst, they might ignore me. (Just like lots of other white people ignored me, and everyone else, on the mainland. Just sayin'!) There is a far higher percentage of Caucasians on B.I. than there are where we live now. That's going to be a culture shock for us.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
One of the things about these scary fairytales, which keep being posted by people with 10 Reputation Points, is that they overlook the fact Hawai'i actually has a longer and deeper relationship with ethnic diversity than almost any other place in the country.

That's all. I don't want to play this stupid game again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island