Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,500 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I recently traveled to Fern Forest and found a plot of land off Jungle King which called to my heart. I have read a few Fern Forest posts and there seems to be mixed views about the community. I love the forest, but wouldn't want to invest the time, if the community won't find me compatible.

I am a hard worker who keeps to my self, but will welcome others warmly and lend a hand whenever the need arises. I have never owned a gun and would not enjoy living in a situation where one is needed for protection against other humans. I find the raw nature of FF beautiful and would tend or protect the land, rather than own it. I would like to put a fence or barrier around the area to keep pigs and dogs out, but the plan is to have the front gates open to the community.

My plan is 1) to homestead for my survival 2) preserve the natural environment and create an endangered/medicinal endemic plant nursery 3) create a community food forest 4) add spots for meditation and appreciation of the land. The idea is to create a place where people can stop in, relax a bit, and go home with some food for their family or an endangered plant clipping for their yard.

On the whole, I am a bit trusting of others with the hope of finding good nature in the people I meet. Of the two times I have visited Hawaii, I have been approached with apprehension occasionally, but people seem to warm up and treat me with the same respect I offer them. I look forward to cultivating good vibes on the land, which people can take home with them. I hope Fern Forest is a place where that can happen. Any advise or alternative suggestions are much appreciated.

My thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
I wish you well. A few things come to mind...

There's not really much of a community in Fern Forest. Just some people. Some you might get along with, some you won't. Some are real nice, some are not. I've met and talked to several FF folks because they come up to Volcano to participate in community activities at Cooper Center, and they give mixed reports.

Your open gate policy sounds warm and friendly and noble, but you should be aware that theft is rampant in that area. Building materials, in particular, have a high probability of involuntary migration if they're not locked up.

The "wild west" days of just doing whatever you want to do with your land in Puna are rapidly coming to a close, and the County has just adopted the IBC 2006 Building Code, which is considerably more restrictive than the previous code. You'll basically need an approved permit for building anything larger than a garden shed, and you'll need to have electrical and plumbing work done by licensed professionals.

Again, I wish you well.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Where ever you go on the planet, you need to be careful of a complete "open arms" policy. As OpenD mentioned, it could be detrimental.

Numbers 1 & 2 on your plan will probably work. It gets a bit foggy on numbers 3 and 4 since that depends on other folks who may not go along with your plans. Other than that, there are some people who you probably just shouldn't just invite onto the property for various reasons. There is also frequently a lot of distances between people, too. There probably won't be a lot of folks visiting just due to the traveling distances and the cost of fuel. So, if you want to move there and live more sustainably, that's a good thing. Just don't be expecting a warm fuzzy community. It might happen, it might not.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
You might want to check out the Punaweb Forum. Lots of people on that forum who live Puna-side and may have more info about the specific part of Fern Forest that you are looking at.

Sure hope you like to be lulled to sleep by the sound of coqui frogs. If you haven't heard them, check out some recordings that people have posted on line.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Sure hope you like to be lulled to sleep by the sound of coqui frogs. If you haven't heard them, check out some recordings that people have posted on line.
Sad but true, people who only look at property on the Big Island in the daylight are often dismayed by the infernal racket the coqui frogs can produce at night.

Accidently introduced to the BI a dozen years ago, they've found a hospitable ecosystem, and no natural predators, so like other invasive species of the past, they've really settled in.

Hard to believe, but a tiny frog that can sit on a quarter can produce a sound louder than a lawnmower. Get a chorus of them going, and you'll probably need earplugs.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 8,500 times
Thanks for all the advise so far. I could live quite happily being left alone and the intention would not be to actively draw people on to the property. If nobody ever stopped by, I would be happy as a clam. I just want to share what I can with those in the area who have an interest or need. There would be no request for others to be involved with the regular maintenance of the property. I guess that may sound contrary to the generally recognized meaning of "Community Food Forest". I should have said "Food Forest for people to stop in and partake of". While I was in FF, there didn't seem to be a lot of people east of Captain Cook. My concern was more about the likelihood of people entering the land with malicious intentions. If my neighbor is a dick, oh well, I'll stay away from him. If he is the type of person who will try to harm the land or any being on it and he is a typical case in FF, it is probably not the place for me.

I appreciate the advise about open gates, I will need to consider the wisest options for sharing without victimizing my self or the land. I'll make sure to check out Punaweb too. I am also thankful for the info regarding building codes. I'll research that a bit.

As for the coqui frogs, I don't mind the sound. I have lived close to freeways most of my life, so "obnoxious repetitive noises that sound like forest" are preferable to "obnoxious repetitive noises that sound like people".

Thanks again all. =)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettakaya View Post
As for the coqui frogs, I don't mind the sound. I have lived close to freeways most of my life, so "obnoxious repetitive noises that sound like forest" are preferable to "obnoxious repetitive noises that sound like people".
Yes, you say that now. But we'll see what you say once you've had an amorous male coqui camped outside your bedroom window for a week.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettakaya View Post
Sounds of a forest?

Quote:
The noise levels have been measured at up to 80-90 decibels, comparable to that produced by a lawnmower.

In some areas, populations may exceed 10,000 frogs per acre
Listen here for Coqui Frog Calls

Visit the area at night before you buy. Spend the night in a van if needed.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Sounds of a forest?

Visit the area at night before you buy. Spend the night in a van if needed.
If you want to be more comfortable - spend a night at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel - they'll drive you crazy. They go all night - and I mean all night.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
This is a website centered around Fern Forest folks. The core group lives in that area and grows a lot of food in the forest. Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island