Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

Pahoa has a cool small one-lane street of businesses that I like. It seems to the only other decent sized town that I recognized outside of Hilo.

As Hilo itself seems to have much higher housing/real estate than Puna....does anyone see Pahoa getting quite a bit bigger soon?

Also, just thinking, does it rain as frequently as Hilo, or a bit less?

Perhaps the lot sizes are carved up too much, but does anyone foresee Pahoa becoming more of a bigger town in it's own right...one that might someday attract more of the businesses that make driving into Hilo not as necessary?

What's your personal projection on the future of Pahoa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
I like Pahoa just the way it is... small and funky.

But I don't suppose it will stay that way forever. They built a big drug store there a year or so ago that seems like the first step of an unavoidable invasion. And then came that shiny new Police station.

On the other hand, there is this curiosity... as of the 2010 Census, the population of Pahoa actually declined slightly from 2000.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,603,125 times
Pahoa has been my home off and on since 1989. The town hasn't changed a whole lot in that time, except there is actually less of it, some of the older buildings bulldozed or just collapsed. The drugstore OpenD mentions is at what we usually refer to here as "New Pahoa" -two shopping centers, the police and fire stations, all located at Hawaii's most dangerous highway intersection. Old Pahoa and new Pahoa are about a mile apart. As far as rainfall, Pahoa is just as wet as Hilo if not more.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
When was the last time you were in Pahoa, Tiger Beer? It was really small and really funky until they put that bypass around it. That cleaned it up quite a bit, although now there is that shopping area outside of downtown Pahoa so there's almost two Pahoas now. There is also that little shopping area at the beginning of Ainaloa now, too so there are almost some options to the long trek into Hilo.

What would be nice is if the Planning Department would change the zoning code so small businesses could be mixed in with those large tracts of house lots. Then folks could start small businesses near the houses and other folks wouldn't have to drive to Hilo for everything - they'd be able to walk to the grocery store as well as walk to work. What an odd concept, eh?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
When was the last time you were in Pahoa, Tiger Beer? It was really small and really funky until they put that bypass around it. That cleaned it up quite a bit, although now there is that shopping area outside of downtown Pahoa so there's almost two Pahoas now. There is also that little shopping area at the beginning of Ainaloa now, too so there are almost some options to the long trek into Hilo.

What would be nice is if the Planning Department would change the zoning code so small businesses could be mixed in with those large tracts of house lots. Then folks could start small businesses near the houses and other folks wouldn't have to drive to Hilo for everything - they'd be able to walk to the grocery store as well as walk to work. What an odd concept, eh?
I guess it's probably been 5-6 years now! Time goes by fast.

Sounds like it's growing a bit than! Yeah, would be amazing to have mixed use, and people could start and create small businesses. It's crazy that so much of the U.S. is so strongly against small business from opening small shops on their own lots of land. It would really help locals out, 1) to make some money, 2) not have to drive all over the place spending more of their own money.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,603,125 times
Local stores would be great, there is a need for at least a convenience store in every major subdivision in Puna. My subdivision is one of the closest to Pahoa and it's a 6 mile round trip just to buy a quart of milk. It's amazing there is so much resistance from some people. I've mentioned wanting a store in Leilani to my neighbors and some are adamantly against it, citing litter and attracting "the wrong crowd". Paradise Park subdivision has over 11,000 people and only 1 (semi-legal) minimart set up in somebody's garage. As gas goes up I think this attitude will change.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
My subdivision is one of the closest to Pahoa and it's a 6 mile round trip just to buy a quart of milk.
There's a simple solution to your problem. Stop buying milk!

Here's the conflict... many of us bought property on the Island of Hawai'i specifically BECAUSE it was not all built up and developed. Personally, I *SHUDDER* at the term "subdivision." I came to Puna District to get AWAY from subdivisions. I ACCEPTED the fact that the closest supermarket is 20-some miles away. It's a tradeoff.

Because what attracted me to this area most will largely disappear once everything is developed to a point of universal convenience.

And I know it is inevitable, but I just hope it doesn't happen until after I am long gone. I feel sorry my grandchildren won't know the pure and simple joys I most enjoy.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There's a simple solution to your problem. Stop buying milk!

Here's the conflict... many of us bought property on the Island of Hawai'i specifically BECAUSE it was not all built up and developed. Personally, I *SHUDDER* at the term "subdivision." I came to Puna District to get AWAY from subdivisions. I ACCEPTED the fact that the closest supermarket is 20-some miles away. It's a tradeoff.

Because what attracted me to this area most will largely disappear once everything is developed to a point of universal convenience.

And I know it is inevitable, but I just hope it doesn't happen until after I am long gone. I feel sorry my grandchildren won't know the pure and simple joys I most enjoy.
I definitely agree about being anti-subdivision. However, subdivisions are PURELY residential areas with NO businesses in them whatsoever.

It seems that by promoting no businesses in the residential areas of Hawaii....it makes it much closer and similar to a subdivision.

The lucky thing about this part of The Big Island, however, is that parcels don't have houses on them already...and weren't bought up by large developers to make into subdivisions that are all uniform. So, no fear of them turning that way in that area, if they are all divided up already.

I would imagine even more organic feel and less subdivision-feel, IF people could start a little market on their property though. It makes all incomes able to make a living, rather than just requiring being hired by some company of some sort, and driving off to work like typical mainland styles.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,266,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I definitely agree about being anti-subdivision. However, subdivisions are PURELY residential areas with NO businesses in them whatsoever.

It seems that by promoting no businesses in the residential areas of Hawaii....it makes it much closer and similar to a subdivision.

The lucky thing about this part of The Big Island, however, is that parcels don't have houses on them already...and weren't bought up by large developers to make into subdivisions that are all uniform. So, no fear of them turning that way in that area, if they are all divided up already.

I would imagine even more organic feel and less subdivision-feel, IF people could start a little market on their property though. It makes all incomes able to make a living, rather than just requiring being hired by some company of some sort, and driving off to work like typical mainland styles.
Most of the subdivisions near Pāhoa happen to have "agricultural" zoning, not "residential." Thus, most of the houses are actually considered to be "farm dwellings." If a subdivision's CC&Rs don't restrict it, folks can operate "farms" and "farm-related businesses" on "Ag" land.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Most of the subdivisions near Pāhoa happen to have "agricultural" zoning, not "residential." Thus, most of the houses are actually considered to be "farm dwellings." If a subdivision's CC&Rs don't restrict it, folks can operate "farms" and "farm-related businesses" on "Ag" land.
That's right! I like that about it.

Perhaps that what keeps the massive developers at bay, as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island