Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,184 times

Advertisements

My partner and I, and our two kids, are planning on moving to Hawaii, and are looking closely at Kamuela (Wiamea) which we have spent time in and love, and Pahoa, which we have spent less time in.

My questions are both obvious and less so: schools? which has the best public education? I can't remember seeing a public school in Wiamea, just private. How much do they cost?

Also, churches. We are Christians, very involved in our church. In fact, my partner is an ordained minister who would like to keep pursuing work closely related to his faith. What is the situation in both towns?

Also, as you probably surmised, we are a gay couple who have adopted two children. What problems would we encounter because of being gay? We aren't 'flaming' but wouldn't deny it if asked, either. We're just two men who love each other raising a family. If we would encounter a lot of resistance or prejudice, be honest, let me know. We never felt any of that in Kamuela at all. People who met us, talked to us, seemed completely non-plussed by it and were quite taken that we'd adopted two kids and were raising them.

So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,354 times
Find "my School" on the Big Island: Find mySchool on the Big Island

For the Honokaa complex:
School Complex database

To get contact information for Hawaii private schools, visit: Hawaii Association of Independent Schools [HAIS]

The links above will get you started on locating the schools in various areas on the Big Island.

My recommendation, if you have not spent time in Pahoa, is to visit the area for a while and explore the community and the local schools in person. Talk with school administrators in both areas about standards-based education and ask what their NCLB "status" is. For in depth reports, go to: ARCH || School Accountability || No Child Left Behind (NCLB) and find the school you are researching in the report you can read by clicking on AYP Determinations and School Sanction Status, by Complex

As far as how you will be received as a gay couple, in my experience, Hawaii is a very diverse place with an openness to many different perspectives on religion, sexual orientation and gender identity issues. As such a melting pot of cultural traditions, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, etc, I have always regarded Hawaii as one of the most tolerant places I have lived. Others may weigh in with different opinions...but I would think that you will find most communities very open to your family.

(Tip for exploring Waimea real estate: the buzz word for the wet-side of Waimea is "green-side"...as opposed to "Waimea dry-side".)

Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
Pahoa is gay central for the Big Island. As a gay man, I'm totally comfortable in Waimea and prefer it...it's just a chunk more expensive. I like the cooler weather, close proximity to Hapuna Beach (best on the island) and Kona. The two areas are completely different. Pahoa has lots of hippies and people who live in lean-to's with no utilities...Waimea is more upscale. People who live in one usually wouldn't live in the other and that's something you have to feel out. In Waimea there's K-6 public school, Waimea Elementary (I attended grades 4-6 there) and two sensational private schools, HPA and Parker School. Public High School is Honokaa High. Waimea also has Thelma Parker Memorial Library (nice) and a real theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island