Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM

35 posts, read 49,335 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job in the BI. I am starting the paperwork for my two dogs. I would like to fly non-stop with them anytime after April if possible. What is a reasonable time frame? Do you suggest I use a pet moving company? When do I book the dogs for flight?

Their rabies are current except one dog the next shot was done after the previous one has expired by the few days (yearly shots)--this means he needs another one right?? Are the blood test done 30 days after the last rabies shot?

Ugh this is so stressful but I am not going without these two! Thanks for any tips! We were planning on renting for a few months but the more I read the more discouraged I get so we may just end up buying a house (we were going to buy anyway).

Last edited by pumpkin-pie; 01-04-2014 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,927,227 times
We moved pets over here twice. The first time we did it alone, the second time we used a pet moving company based out of Honolulu. We found out it was cheaper using the company because they had available to them negotiated rates on the airlines, so it was cheaper even after paying their fee. Although both pet imports worked out for us, using the moving company was a lot less headache and it saved us a little money too. Win-win.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We moved pets over here twice. The first time we did it alone, the second time we used a pet moving company based out of Honolulu. We found out it was cheaper using the company because they had available to them negotiated rates on the airlines, so it was cheaper even after paying their fee. Although both pet imports worked out for us, using the moving company was a lot less headache and it saved us a little money too. Win-win.
Do you mind sharing the name of the company? Is that allowed here?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 PM

51 posts, read 98,537 times
Pumpkin- Contact Kona Veterinary Hospital or Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (google them) they offer direct release programs from the Kona airport for your dogs (no need to fly to Honolulu). The vet will tell you exactly what you need to do to get them over safely (it's about a 4 month process). You tell the airlines at the time you book your tickets that you will be bringing two dogs so they can note it on your reservation, you will be charged the additional fare for the dogs the day of the departure. Since your dogs are larger, I would book your flights in April or May since it's cooler. I'd wouldn't want my dogs to fly in a plane cargo section during July and August.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,562 times
I moved pets as well, and it can be a hell house. I had a really great experience with Ruth at Akona pet,

AkonaPet Pet Relocation Pet Moving Client Testimonials

I would recommend it highly, or at least something to assist you, as if there's any mistake your dogs may be stuck in quarantine, etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin-pie View Post
Do you mind sharing the name of the company? Is that allowed here?
Island Pet Movers

Island Pet Movers

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C92653 View Post
Pumpkin- Contact Kona Veterinary Hospital or Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (google them) they offer direct release programs from the Kona airport for your dogs (no need to fly to Honolulu). The vet will tell you exactly what you need to do to get them over safely (it's about a 4 month process). You tell the airlines at the time you book your tickets that you will be bringing two dogs so they can note it on your reservation, you will be charged the additional fare for the dogs the day of the departure. Since your dogs are larger, I would book your flights in April or May since it's cooler. I'd wouldn't want my dogs to fly in a plane cargo section during July and August.
Good advice about the temperature. One of the reasons we used the pet moving service is that the airline we needed to use actually wouldn't ship the dog to Kona during the flight times because Kona was so hot it was outside of their guidelines. We had it shipped to HNL (it was cooler because there were more flight options for morning arrivals and HNL was just cooler that time of the year) and the pet service got the dog through quarantine and had it shipped to Hilo a few hours later (much cooler, but also where we lived) and in the end it was *substantially* cheaper than the neighbor island release program. Whether or not it was safer, with the extra segment etc, I do not know.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Good advice about the temperature. One of the reasons we used the pet moving service is that the airline we needed to use actually wouldn't ship the dog to Kona during the flight times because Kona was so hot it was outside of their guidelines. We had it shipped to HNL (it was cooler because there were more flight options for morning arrivals and HNL was just cooler that time of the year) and the pet service got the dog through quarantine and had it shipped to Hilo a few hours later (much cooler, but also where we lived) and in the end it was *substantially* cheaper than the neighbor island release program. Whether or not it was safer, with the extra segment etc, I do not know.
Thanks! I am waiting for a quote from them. It is likely we may end up moving before the dogs are ready and would like to leave them at their ranch in Oregon if possible. Do you know of other options in terms of long term dog care/foster?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
I can't tell if you understand that you can ship your dogs to the Big Island before they have completed their quarantine period, then have them direct released to one of the vets who is authorized to do quarantine boarding. That gives you some opportunity to visit them while they are in the pokey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island