Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM

35 posts, read 49,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I can't tell if you understand that you can ship your dogs to the Big Island before they have completed their quarantine period, then have them direct released to one of the vets who is authorized to do quarantine boarding. That gives you some opportunity to visit them while they are in the pokey.
I heard the quarantine kennels are not a pretty sight. Can you tell me more about where they take the dogs in the BI if it is before that 120-day period? Is it indoors? I would just go ahead and do this if the kennels are decent and the cost are not outrageous especially if I get to visit them. We are still weighing the pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin-pie View Post
I heard the quarantine kennels are not a pretty sight. Can you tell me more about where they take the dogs in the BI if it is before that 120-day period? Is it indoors? I would just go ahead and do this if the kennels are decent and the cost are not outrageous especially if I get to visit them. We are still weighing the pros and cons.
The State quarantine kennels on Oahu are spartan... just chainlink enclosures, indoors. But the private ones on the Big Island are boarding kennels... the same places you might board your dogs if you are going out of state on vacation.

The two certified facilities in Kona are Kona Veterinary Service (808) 325-6637 or Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (808) 322-2988.

I suggest you contact them directly for details.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The State quarantine kennels on Oahu are spartan... just chainlink enclosures, indoors. But the private ones on the Big Island are boarding kennels... the same places you might board your dogs if you are going out of state on vacation.

The two certified facilities in Kona are Kona Veterinary Service (808) 325-6637 or Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (808) 322-2988.

I suggest you contact them directly for details.
Good to know and thank you for this information! I googled for images of the quarantine kennels in Oahu and though it is not terrible, it is not ideal. A boarding kennel would be better. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin-pie View Post
Try to do everything possible to not quarantine the dogs - like delaying the move or temporarily having friends/family look after them until the 120 days are - you are at high risk your animals personality will change being locked up in a cage for an extended time.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Try to do everything possible to not quarantine the dogs - like delaying the move or temporarily having friends/family look after them until the 120 days are - you are at high risk your animals personality will change being locked up in a cage for an extended time.
I completely understand. However, we cannot delay the move as my husband has to start his job and we have a 6-month old. Sadly, we do not have friends or family who can take 2 large dogs. Ideally I would like to use the ranch with Island Pet Movers since there the dogs will not be locked up all the time and it is more of a home environment.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Yup, my sister-in-law put her dog through quarantine (this was back before they had the direct release program) and he forgot all his training and had to start over.

I don't know how close the boarding kennels are to Waimea. The only official one I know about on this island is Bar-King over in Puna. Which is about eighty miles away from Waimea. The one on Oahu is a different island and airfare would be $150 round trip each time you wanted to visit your dogs.

I think the Kona Veterinary and Keauhou Veterinary facilities aren't certified boarding facilities. I think those are for in case your pet needs veterinary care while at the boarding service.

Here's a snippet from http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

SATELLITE (PRIVATELY-OPERATED) QUARANTINE STATIONS

There are privately owned & operated quarantine facilities on the islands of Hawaii and Kauai.
• Bar-King Dog Kennel (BDK), P.O. Box 1184, Keaau, HI 96749, phone (808) 966-
• Kauai Humane Society (KHS), P.O. Box 3330, Lihue, HI 96766, phone (808) 632-
If you wish to quarantine your pet at this facility, you must make prior arrangements with BDK or
KHS. Your pet must first come to the State Animal Quarantine Station on Oahu for positive
identification and examination.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 AM

51 posts, read 98,559 times
Hmmm. Wouldn't it make more sense for your husband to come out first, find a place for all of you to live (including the dogs) and you and the baby and your dogs to stay where you are until the dogs are ready to travel? THEN, your husband could fly back to the Mainland and all of you can move as a family once he has found a place to live?

I have a friend who moved here (Kona) with her husband and two little dogs (about 7 pounds each) in August and has been living with her family since they arrived. She just found a home in the Palisades a week ago that would take two dogs. She said, the places they looked at that would take dogs were just "crap". It took them four months to find a place here.

The move is stressful enough, but add in having no place to live, on an island I am assuming you have never visited for an extended period of time (based on your questions) and leaving your dogs with some random group you have never met on a farm/kennel you have never visited, sounds, well a bit irresponsible. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 41,865 times
My husband and I just shipped our 2 kids over in July of 2013. We moved from Texas and there were not any direct flights. It was very stressful but, I like you, refused to leave the mainland without my family (and my dogs/babies are my family). I think the direct flight will depend on where you are coming from. As far as housing goes, you shouldn't be scared. My husband and I had been going back and forth for 3 1/2 years before we made the move permanent, I am in the real estate business and there are a lot of nice places to rent and eventually buy. I will say this, given all the stress of the move, I would do it again.. Please let me know if you have specific question, being that we just made the permanent move, I might be able to help.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:09 PM

30 posts, read 73,500 times
Thanks for all the helpful information!!!

Once we sell our place here in Oregon, not listing until late spring, we'll be making the move with our Medical Alert Service dog "Beau". Beau's a 7 year old chocolate Labrador, professionally trained/licensed/gentle/loves everyone. The airlines have been good and said Beau would be allowed to ride in the cabin by the bulkhead.
The blood test cost is higher than any human testing I have had done, but due to medical issues traveling without Beau isn't an option.

We have found lots of rentals around Hilo, including Volcano, that allows dogs. We are hoping to obtain contacts with rentals on the dryer side if anyone knows property managers or owners who would like renters who are: quiet, no smoking or drinking, treat others homes as if they were ours, great credit, happy, mellow, accepting +++++

Having lived in Mexico for 10 years we feel like we can fit in anywhere. We will be volunteering as our goal is "to make a positive difference in the lives of others daily!". With the meth/ice issues I know we'll have no lack of people in need. I will also be volunteering with the Humane Society helping train dogs so they have a better chance at finding a good home. Also will be helping train Service Dogs.

With so many just buying a vest and calling their dogs Service Animals I'm tempted to offer Service Animal testing, as well as, training and certification.

Anyone with positive or negative stories about rentals and dogs, service dogs, etc....please help us with our pre-move plans.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:33 PM

354 posts, read 439,113 times
Another thing you have to consider and that C9 mentioned is: that temporary and permanent rental housing that allow dogs is scarce. If you don't have family to stay with or you haven't out right bought a property yet, you will have a hard time getting your pets to be accepted. I know that this info doesn't really help with getting your dogs moved, but I want you to be prepared for rental rejection b/c of your pets.

Additionally, please visit the Hawaii Department of Agrigculture. They have step by step instructions of how to transport your pet and completely avoid quarantine with a direct release program. You will need to coordinate with a vet service (as others mentioned: Kona and Keauhou vet clinics) to meet you at the airport in KONA. You need to have a direct flight. Do NOT stop in HNL. I started the process for my dog in Feb 2015 for a departure in Dec 2015. Everything was done by April or May. My dogs transition to HI went without one hitch. It was incredibly efficient and surprisingly easy. You just have to read the instructions and follow to the letter. Also, Kelly from Kona Vet service was incredibly helpful and answered all my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island