Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sales tax works differently for cars - it is based on where you live. Otherwise I'd buy it in Oregon and no sales tax. You pay the Hawaii sales tax. No CA sales tax for the car. I've bought a lot of cars out state. When you buy a car in Oregon and if you are from Washington - they collect Washington tax at time of purchase. Cars are an exception.
So tell them you live in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM

162 posts, read 301,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You have to register the car and get license plates eventually...and if you haven't paid taxes in the state you're registering/getting plates, good luck getting anywhere at the DMV!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A licensed car dealer cannot sell you a car without a drivers license and proof of insurance. You can't just give them a fake address. Even if you managed to find a dealer who looks the other way - Hawaii will collect the tax when you register the car in Hawaii.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM

55 posts, read 423,737 times
@hotzcatz....I used to buy from orchid isle auto center which is the only ford dealership here on island, after them replacing my radiator and missing up my tension pulley by spilling radiator fluid on it which can cause corrison. They did not want to fix their mistake, so my loyalty to this dealership is lost and will buy elsewhere. The parts department are a theft too, they want 135 for tension pulley when I can buy directly from fordparts.com for $35 dollars. I am done with this dealership and will never purchase another ford vehicle from them due to their custom loyalty.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
@hotzcatz....I used to buy from orchid isle auto center which is the only ford dealership here on island...

...I am done with this dealership and will never purchase another ford vehicle from them due to their custom loyalty.
But stop, think, if they are the only Ford dealer, and you buy a Ford vehicle in California and have it shipped to the BI, you'll still have to go to them anyway in order to get warranty service.

I mean, unless you're willing to ship your Ford to another island for service, but that is gonna get expensive in another way, not to mention being very inconvenient.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM

55 posts, read 423,737 times
I wouldnt to take my car in for warranty thats a not...and that would be completely stupid to ship your car to another island and back for such need. Too bad the superferry isnt around anymore, or I would have done that.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
I wouldnt to take my car in for warranty thats a not...
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but you do need to have certain maintenance performed by a factory dealer in order to keep a factory warranty in effect.

If you have that serious an issue with the only Ford dealer around, then for sure I wouldn't buy a Ford product. Get something else.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Actually, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act stipulates that one does not need to have any normal maintenance work performed by the dealer. There is a lot more to it, but basically, as long as you maintain your vehicle per the service schedule in the owner's manual, your warranty will not be voided.

You can change your own oil, trans fluid, anti-freeze, etc. and as long as you keep receipts for the purchases and use compatible fluids/parts (according to the manufacturer) your warranty cannot be voided due to not using the dealer for your maintenance.

If you modify your vehicle, and the modified part part causes a failure of "something", only the warranty on that "something" part or system affected can be voided - not the entire vehicle warranty.

Magnuson

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Actually, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act stipulates that one does not need to have any normal maintenance work performed by the dealer.
OK, but what if something serious goes wrong, that should be covered under warranty?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
OK, but what if something serious goes wrong, that should be covered under warranty?
Yes, it would, as long as you maintained it according to the schedule in the owner's manual and can prove it via receipts. It doesn't matter if you did the work yourself or had a third-party independent mechanic do the work.

As an example, if you never changed the oil, but the transmission went out and you had changed the trans fluid (if needed) according to the schedule, the warranty on the trans would be good. If you then blew the engine, the engine wouldn't be covered.

If you installed an after-market stereo, and the trans went bad, they cannot void your warranty unless it could be proved that your stereo install actually caused the trans to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island