Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be traveling to the Big Island for vacation this summer. I have never been there so I am very excited!

Can someone who has flown into Kona from the mainland tell me what side of the plane would be the best to grab some great views? I'm assuming that sitting on the left side of the plane would be best for views of the Big Island, but would sitting on the right side of the plane be better for views of Maui and Oahu? I know this all depends on winds and weather patterns, etc but I'm sure they try to follow a "standard" route. I'll be flying in from San Francisco.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Hello!

I will be traveling to the Big Island for vacation this summer. I have never been there so I am very excited!

Can someone who has flown into Kona from the mainland tell me what side of the plane would be the best to grab some great views? I'm assuming that sitting on the left side of the plane would be best for views of the Big Island, but would sitting on the right side of the plane be better for views of Maui and Oahu? I know this all depends on winds and weather patterns, etc but I'm sure they try to follow a "standard" route. I'll be flying in from San Francisco.

Thank you in advance!
Sit on the left hand side of the plane (your left facing cockpit) - you likely won't get much of a view of Maui if at all - and Oahu is to far away.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
As far as trying to figure out the approach into the Hawaiian Islands .... views of other islands as you pass by..... good luck on that one, I've been on flights that have come in from every direction and even between islands.

For Big Island views, planes coming into Kona airport usually land on the north end of the runway, which will put the best view from the left side of the plane (that is, if you are a passenger seated in the plane, the left side windows will have the view).

But counting on a view is a toss-up. Some days, it is voggy (unimpressive view). While some days is it beautiful, especially if you can catch the golden late afternoon sun hitting the slopes of Mauna Kea and lava fields.

I'd value a choice of comfortable seating on the 5 hour flight as my #1 priority.

Enjoy your trip to an amazingly interesting island !!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Sit on the inside of the plane, it's much more comfortable than the outside. If you want closer views, see if you can catch a Pacific Wings flight. They are smaller and fly closer to things.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
downtownnola, I'm with you, I prefer a window seat, even after a gazillion miles of flying.

Left side of the plane will usually give you glimpse of the Big Island as you come in, weather permitting, but probably only for the last few minutes. Still, it is great getting that first glimpse. The rest of the flight you'll be looking at clouds, or water, or clouds and water.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
and what you see may not be all that. Expect to see the dry arid white rock graffetti fields with the sprinkling of green and blue metal roofs. Now the airport will sing Hawaii Tropical to you since its an outdoor airport.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
and what you see may not be all that. Expect to see the dry arid white rock graffetti fields with the sprinkling of green and blue metal roofs. Now the airport will sing Hawaii Tropical to you since its an outdoor airport.
Hawaii Tropical - I feel like that when I land in Hilo - but I feel like I've landed on the moon when I land in Kona as the plane circles the tarmac - all you see is lava rock - no green lushness.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii Tropical - I feel like that when I land in Hilo - but I feel like I've landed on the moon when I land in Kona as the plane circles the tarmac - all you see is lava rock - no green lushness.
Ah but the airport is a traditional tourist tropical feel being open and all .

But I agree, outside the airport and I think of the moon also.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and chose seats on the left side of the plane. I'm hoping that I'll at least be able to see some of the island when we come in for landing.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
What a terrific question! THANK YOU for asking something unusual.

OK, I'm a fan of pictures from plane windows. You can get views, and while they aren't commercial quality, the memories are priceless. When I took this one of a plane just off our wing, little did I know that Aloha wouldn't be flying much longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Which side of plane to sit on?-win1.jpg   Which side of plane to sit on?-win2.jpg   Which side of plane to sit on?-win3.jpg   Which side of plane to sit on?-win4.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island