Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Did those "subdivisions" ever get built up enough to actually collapse? They seemed more of a virtual subdivision than anything else. Lines on a map, a metal spike at each corner to designate each lot and a one pass bulldozer track for a "road". That was the original "subdivision" for most of them although they've improved - at least somewhat - since then, but they still aren't a true "sub-division". Although most of them have at least a few hardy souls off in the underbrush here and there hacking out a place to live. Some of them have been surviving and little structures are surviving here and there, but "subdivision" isn't really the proper term for those areas. At least, not the way the mainland folks use the term.

Some of them are getting somewhat civilized, though. HPP, Leilani, Nanawale, Hawaiian Beaches/Shores, Ainaloa at least have a lot of build up and roads that don't require replacing the suspension every year. They pretty much have power throughout their area, too. There are about three tiers of "sub-divisions". Level One are those which have quite a few paved roads and the rest are pretty accessible roads (rock, gravel, etc), electricity available, some houses built up, a community center of some sort. Which would be in level of build up (I'm just guessing here, the real numbers may be entirely different): Ainaloa, HPP, Nanawale, and then? Level Two sub-divisions have road access but not a lot of paved roads, some power in the area, some community area but less build up. Those would be Orchidland, Hawaiian Acres, Fern Acres, maybe Fern Forest? Then there are a pile of Level Three sub-divisions which have rocky 4WD access, no community areas, no power, etc. They have a tendency to be the smaller ones, too.

Still even with the Level One subs, there is no mail service to the houses, not many with water service, no rubbish service, no sidewalks, etc.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 06-03-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Exactly. And after 20 years much worthless land are still worthless land. All those collapsed subdivisions from the 1970's are visible from space, but hardly discernable... much less salable... on the surface.
Lots of those subdivisions in the Everglades, the Florida Keys, and many other places...I suppose if it wouldn't bother you to take $6K to Vegas to have fun, then buying this vacant land wouldn't bother you either.

Still...20 years from now, are you really up to building new construction on the site? Will you be able to afford that in 20 years, how will your income/assets look then?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Downsides of buying affordable BIG ISLAND land and doing nothing with it for 20 years?
OP said he's looking at only $6K. Even if it is run over by lava, it's not that big of a hit in the pocketbook.

Minimum tax for Hawaii County per lot is $100/year since 2008-9. (It has taken approx 30 years to go from a minimum of $25 up to $100.) A $6K lot would fall into that minimum category.

If you have a homeowner's policy on other property, it will probably cover additional vacant land. (I don't know if a renter's policy does that or not.)

Checking into homeowner's dues will help indicate what those costs will be, and if the money is put into improvements (ie roads).

When buying cheap land, it is location location location. We have a great place in south kona, in a nice relaxed steadily growing small development with a knockout ocean view. Roads are worked on annually. Electricity is available on many of the streets. Our dues (under $250/year) cover road maintenance and a professional property management for the subdivision (overseeing the budget, roads, rules, etc). We choose wisely and did well. It was a matter of doing proper research, and never buying sight unseen. Because, the reality is that for $6K you might get a decent lot, or you might get a hole = caution needed.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM

CC, good post, you did your due diligence and you'll be OK. You're right, location location location. Hopefully your post will help OP.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Oh we did grand. That is the lot where, decades later, we have our beach cabin.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 AM

Keyword: beach. Location, location, location.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Yep, either near beach and/or ocean view are indeed a wonderful thing to have as a lot description. Although, I've seen some spectacular mountain lots also. "Location" and "seeing before buying", my two recommendations.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Amen to those suggestions!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Uh huh, plenty in this thread to think about.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Yep, either near beach and/or ocean view are indeed a wonderful thing to have as a lot description. Although, I've seen some spectacular mountain lots also. "Location" and "seeing before buying", my two recommendations.
Yes. Also beware of a realtor favorite "possible ocean view from second story" when no second story exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island