Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Yes. Also beware of a realtor favorite "possible ocean view from second story" when no second story exists.
And "partial ocean view", a hint to get your binoculars and ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
LOL, I remember when I was buying a home on another island, looking for 2/2 or 3/2 homes and our realtor took us to an alleged 3/2. As it turns out, the third "bedroom" was actually where they put some drywall and spackle and windows up to enclose part of the porch...small, tacky, and they lost use of the porch. We wanted to see the second bathroom but they couldn't show it to us because it was an illegal addition. The home was actually a 2/1. Our realtor blasted the seller's realtor up one side and down the other for wasting our time like that. I wonder if that happens in HI too.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
LOL, I remember when I was buying a home on another island, looking for 2/2 or 3/2 homes and our realtor took us to an alleged 3/2. As it turns out, the third "bedroom" was actually where they put some drywall and spackle and windows up to enclose part of the porch...small, tacky, and they lost use of the porch. We wanted to see the second bathroom but they couldn't show it to us because it was an illegal addition. The home was actually a 2/1. Our realtor blasted the seller's realtor up one side and down the other for wasting our time like that. I wonder if that happens in HI too.
Happens ALL THE TIME. And the big problem is that if there is anything other than the slightest deviation from what is permitted, the bank won't loan on it. (unpermitted additions are uninsurable, maybe even a fire risk, and the bank isn't going to loan money on an uninsured anything) So to buy the place you either need cash or a vacant land loan. This leaves a lot of stuff available with "seller financing" which really means "stay away, banks consider the structure to have no value".

People do these things because they think its saving them money but in the long run it will eventually come to bite them. I've seen the argument "I'm going to die here, so I don't care if its permitted". Then they get sick or need to leave for some other reason and have a property that they can't sell.

We recently looked at a property with an unpermitted pool. It looked like it was probably built to code by a professional- the owner just didn't want to "bother" with the permits. Well, the bank said the only way they would close on the loan is if the pool was demolished first. The other option would be to get it permitted, but that would take months- if it was possible. Turns out that the Ohana on the property was actually an "enclosed porch" on the permit so same thing- demo, return it to an enclosed porch, or get permit issued for ohana or no loan. At this point, two of the most desireable traits of the structures on the property instantly became worthless and the owner is now stuck with an otherwise 200k property that they can only sell to cash buyers. Good luck. They might be able to sell it as is for 100-120k. I don't think the permits would have cost the $80,000.00 they lost in the value of their home.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 AM

We previously bought a house on Oahu that had two areas of un-permitted additions. Our lender was aware of it (they do send out an appraiser who measures the house, so the SF discrepancies were obvious).

The bank did not disqualify the house from the mortgage process, but they did restrict the amount they would lend to the value of the house that was built WITH PERMITS. The SF of the un-permitted areas were NOT calculated into the value of the house.

Years later, we took care of getting permits ourselves on those areas, to make the resale easier. It was not a big deal, since the additions were up to code.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Years later, we took care of getting permits ourselves on those areas, to make the resale easier. It was not a big deal, since the additions were up to code.
But that is the tricky part... how can you be sure additions are up to code? As Terracore said, on the Big Island, at least, illegal add-ons are everywhere, not to mention that many, many houses were built without a permit. The county estimates there are more than 1,000 in Puna district alone. And now that the county has just adopted more comprehensive codes, it becomes trickier still.

I think a good home inspection is essential before committing to anything.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Another wrench being thrown into the works: Hawaii County is thinking of buying all the lots and houses within one mile of the Geothermal plant in Puna, tearing down or moving the houses and banning building in the area. There was recently a proposal to do the same (for different reasons) in the upper part of Oceanview.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Sunday's paper had an article where the county has been buying the land, then auctioning some of it off (of course for less than what they paid for it). There is an effort to try to prohibit that through legislation.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,480 times
Thanks for the responses all, especially OpenD. We have since heard from a friend that moved to the Big Island that Fern Forest is kind of sketchy so we are looking around at other options. We will definitely spend some time there before making any decisions but are feeling the pressure to get something now before prices go up so these forums are really helpful. But we'll definitely go visit, at a minimum. Good luck to all of you!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianvice View Post
Thanks for the responses all, especially OpenD. We have since heard from a friend that moved to the Big Island that Fern Forest is kind of sketchy so we are looking around at other options. We will definitely spend some time there before making any decisions but are feeling the pressure to get something now before prices go up so these forums are really helpful. But we'll definitely go visit, at a minimum. Good luck to all of you!
Saying "Fern Forest is kind of sketchy" is like saying "New York City is kind of sketchy". There are million dollar homes and there are people living under tarps in both.

I have driven in places in FF where I wouldn't unlock my car doors. And I also have property in FF where I've left stuff out unattended for months and it's never been stolen. Anybody who calls ALL of FF "sketchy" has probably not actually been through most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island