Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Hilo with my husband. I am myself unemployed and would appreciate any info on medical coverage for someone like myself to cover the cost of the pregnancy as we currently do not have any medical insurance. I have heard of medi-Quest but don't know if I qualify as before the birth of the child, I will have lived there for only several months. Does anyone know of any other options available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
I think medi-quest is for low income families only but if you qualify than I believe you can get insurance even if pregnant.

Some out of the box solutions might be:

Take a break from being self-employed - and see if you can get a position Hawaii employer that has you working more than 20 hours a week. You'll be eligible for insurance in 2 months per Hawaii law.

Or - is your husband currently working? Check when his open enrollement is (perhaps this fall) and get on his insurance.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM

219 posts, read 498,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPHIEMT View Post
I am myself unemployed and would appreciate any info on medical coverage for someone like myself to cover the cost of the pregnancy as we currently do not have any medical insurance.
She is UNemployed not SELFemployed, I'm sure if she could get a job with benefits she would.

I don't think state medicaid has a residency requirement as in length of time here, if you can prove you are a resident of the state of Hawaii you can apply. It may take them a while to process your application so you should get that ball rolling asap. Your only requirement is being pregnant, Department of Human Services Med Quest Division

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,241,874 times
Most private insurance companies would consider this a pre-existing condition. Best wishes and be sure to vote for Obamacare!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
She is UNemployed not SELFemployed, I'm sure if she could get a job with benefits she would.
Oops - could have sworn it said self.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM

403 posts, read 870,340 times
In Hawaii trybKaiser, they have some self pay ins plans.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks all for the feedback! Do appreciate it.
WHTVPR1 - yes, I am unemployed. And I do fit in the bracket of low income so I'll check into medi-Quest further by calling their office.
FallenIntoGreatness - Yes, my question on how does one fill the residency requirement if I'm moving there only several months in advance.
My husband has a lot of relatives living on the Big Island so we will have a house to live in initially.
Lv2byte - Is there a website that covers self-pay in plans?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM

81 posts, read 221,471 times
There aren't a lot of options for health insurance in Hawaii. We are self employed, so I've become a sort of expert in it. Kaiser does not cover maternity services. Your best bet is Quest, and with it you pay will NOTHING for the birth. They have an expedited and loosened rules/regs for pregnant women. We went through a hard time a while back and had to get Quest for a period of time, and after being self employed and buying my own insurance for years. I was amazed at how comprehensive the Quest insurance was. It truly was better than any insurance plan I could purchase on my own. I'm no expert, but I think I remember something like 30 days residencey?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Nalu, thanks and yes, it seems like I will qualify for Quest based on what you laid out. Tks very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island