Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM

61 posts, read 121,787 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any of you spend half the year on the BI and half on the mainland, and if so, what do you do with your BI residence while gone? I know it will vary by area, but just want to hear other's experiences. How much do you worry about break-ins? Does anyone rent their place out through an agent as a vacation rental? And if so, how is that working out for you?

I've had great experiences vacation renting through VRBO but now am thinking I could put that money towards a place of my own someday....but I have to stay on the mainland half the year for my seasonal J-O-B.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,613,651 times
Some of my neighbors are part timers. One rents out through VRBO, The others leave the houses vacant with regular yard service and property checks. There haven't been any break-ins on my street in a long time, but we try to be watchful of each other. When you leave a house here for long periods (at least in Puna) be prepared for doing deep cleaning when you arrive. Renting month-to-month is not usually a good idea. The most popular vacation houses are very close to the beach, so more expensive.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,718,592 times
Our house is down at the end of a lonely cul-de-sac, with no neighbors. So since I worry about safety, we have a housesitter stay in our house while we're gone for three months in the summer.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks Leilani Guy and Dreaming! That's helpful info. I'm sure the house's location has alot to do with it.
Of course the beach rentals are most coveted--that's where I stay--but from looking over VRBO, there are more affordable ones a few miles away so I thought this might be a possiblity.

LG, do you know what luck your VRBO-renting neighbors have had going that route? Are they happy with VRBO? Is it worth the hassle?

Also, LG, maybe you can tell me why part of your subdivision has CCR's and part evidently doesn't? What's up with that? Thanks alot, both of you!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,613,651 times
It turns out the neighbor is not using VRBO, but are renting the house through their own website for their palm tree business.
Yes, there are technically two Leilani's, unit 1 and unit 2. There has never been a clear explanation as to why, but unit 1 is not subject to CCR's, is not paved.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Kahukai St.

Taking a wild guess here, Kahukai St. off Maili (sp?) is NOT on CCR's right?

I have a friend there who built his own place, and nothing about it seems to comply with the CCR's
OTOH, he's got no mortgage! Pay as you go. In an ideal world, that would be my preferred method.

I'll check with my vacation rental guys about the viability of renting a structure out half the year....I found all my rentals thru' VRBO with never a problem.

thanks LeilaniGuy...helpful as always!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM

67 posts, read 159,897 times
We arrived home recently from the mainland to a wide open front door. I said, "We've been robbed." All of our mattresses, pillows, towels, and my daughter's sheets and comforter were stolen. My daughter said that they left mine because it was ugly. Hehe

Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
That rather an odd sort of thing to break into a house to take, don't you think? Taking mattresses means they'd need a moving truck and more than one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island