Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 15,921 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a lot on Kaleponi rd about a third mile down from Middle rd. Anyone familiar with that nieghborhood? Also wondering if anyone has tried to grow pistachio? I read a story of a couple who lived in Ak and bought a lot 18 years ago. They went over a couple times a year and started out planting all the trees they wanted and when they decided to retire and move there they had mature well producing trees. I'm thinking of doing somthing like that over the next 3 to 5 years, maybe building a small house in a year or so. Any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
No input about pistachios, but wishing best luck with the move.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I don't know from personal experience, but from this description in Wikipedia, I'd guess Fern Forest would be all wrong for pistachios...
"Pistachio is a desert plant, and is highly tolerant of saline soil. It has been reported to grow well when irrigated with water having 3,000–4,000 ppm of soluble salts.[5] Pistachio trees are fairly hardy in the right conditions, and can survive temperatures ranging between −10 °C (14 °F) in winter and 40 °C (104 °F) in summer. They need a sunny position and well-drained soil. Pistachio trees do poorly in conditions of high humidity, and are susceptible to root rot in winter if they get too much water and the soil is not sufficiently free-draining. Long, hot summers are required for proper ripening of the fruit."
Fern Forest is very rainy and wet, very humid, doesn't get a lot of sun, gets heavy rain in winter... etc. Sound more like something to try in Ka'u District than in Puna.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Just wondering why pistachio? I've never heard of anyone growing it on the BI, and I live in Ka'u.

Why not plant the many, many plants that do grow well in Fern Forest? I bet you could talk with some of your neighbors to find out what grows well in your particular area. It amazes me how my friends near the town of Volcano grow entirely different plants than we do.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM

160 posts, read 485,785 times
Aloha and welcome to the neighborhood =P I live in the very back of Fern Forest, on Jungle King road. I have NO idea on pistachios. If you haven't bought your property already, take some time to investigate lots. They differ GREATLY from one to the next. I'm dead serious about this. I live in a low spot so you'd think I'd have more dirt, but my neighbor on the hill 5 properties away from me has tons?? Physics don't apply in this forest? You would think with all the rain the dirt would wash down to my property?? LOL.
So so many things I was not prepared for when I moved to Fern Forest, things taken for granted about everywhere else. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, I have been here for nearly 4 yrs now... I think. Don't pay much attn to time in paradise =P

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't know from personal experience, but from this description in Wikipedia, I'd guess Fern Forest would be all wrong for pistachios...
"Pistachio is a desert plant, and is highly tolerant of saline soil. It has been reported to grow well when irrigated with water having 3,000–4,000 ppm of soluble salts.[5] Pistachio trees are fairly hardy in the right conditions, and can survive temperatures ranging between −10 °C (14 °F) in winter and 40 °C (104 °F) in summer. They need a sunny position and well-drained soil. Pistachio trees do poorly in conditions of high humidity, and are susceptible to root rot in winter if they get too much water and the soil is not sufficiently free-draining. Long, hot summers are required for proper ripening of the fruit."
Fern Forest is very rainy and wet, very humid, doesn't get a lot of sun, gets heavy rain in winter... etc. Sound more like something to try in Ka'u District than in Puna.
I saw in a post on I believe it was gardenweb forum, that someone in fern forest was growing pistachio.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Just wondering why pistachio? I've never heard of anyone growing it on the BI, and I live in Ka'u.

Why not plant the many, many plants that do grow well in Fern Forest? I bet you could talk with some of your neighbors to find out what grows well in your particular area. It amazes me how my friends near the town of Volcano grow entirely different plants than we do.
Pistachios are some of my favorite. I like all kinds of nuts and want to find out what kinds will grow in the fern forest area.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Aloha and welcome to the neighborhood =P I live in the very back of Fern Forest, on Jungle King road. I have NO idea on pistachios. If you haven't bought your property already, take some time to investigate lots. They differ GREATLY from one to the next. I'm dead serious about this. I live in a low spot so you'd think I'd have more dirt, but my neighbor on the hill 5 properties away from me has tons?? Physics don't apply in this forest? You would think with all the rain the dirt would wash down to my property?? LOL.
So so many things I was not prepared for when I moved to Fern Forest, things taken for granted about everywhere else. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, I have been here for nearly 4 yrs now... I think. Don't pay much attn to time in paradise =P
Thanks Badatta2d, I'm going in with the expectation of having very little soil. I saw another post on punaweb I believe, where I guy got 60 yards of mulch delivered from the dump for $600.00, a couple of those and a couple loads of cinder and sand should be a good start I would think, along with the chopped up plants from clearing spots on the lot. Have you heard of anyone growing almonds? In Alaska they put it on the radio that it is a right to bare arms state and any would be thieves run the risk of getting shot. I've been reading that there's a little bit of concern in the area about stuff walking away. I haven't read up on Hi gun laws and the right to protect property. I'm an easy going guy that will help just about anyone, but I work hard for my stuff and the thought of thieves doesn't set well. Also if your dog is loose and causing problems, chances are it won't be coming home, if ya get what I mean. I hear there is a bit of dog problem there? Also wondering how many wild pigs there really are. A little bacon would be nice:-D

Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz View Post
Pistachios are some of my favorite. I like all kinds of nuts and want to find out what kinds will grow in the fern forest area.
Contact the County Extension office in Hilo. They have a wealth of information on what grows well where.

Extension - Hawaii County

Be sure to read previous threads on this subject, and keep in mind that growing conditions on the Big island can vary wildly between different places that are quite close to each other. Your soil conditions can be quite different from the lot next door, and your weather patterns different from a place 1/4 mile away.

This is why several of us say, over and over, don't buy land without spending some time on it... days, nights, sunny, rainy... and preferably over multiple seasons. There are just too many ways your heart can be broken if you try to shortcut that simple process.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM

I was also wondering if people use and ride 4wheelers (quads)much there? Here in Ak there are trails along all the roads and people ride them everywhere and use them for everything from getting firewood to bringing gravel up from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island