Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I just have to say, I appreciate you checking back in with the forum to share your experiences... most people never seem to get around to it... and it's nice to get the feedback about what worked for you and what didn't. Although some of the answers can seem fairly random, sometimes even deluded, on a public forum like this, there are also a number of folks here who genuinely want to be help and have the real info.

The real trick is figuring out who is which!
Yeah, I found the same thing actually when I was researching myself. Keep in mind my answers are from someone lives in the Rockies and used to mountain driving and elevation. Some people from Florida for example might find Saddle road or Kohala mountain road terrifying

I was actually freaking people out on the Mauna Kea tour cause I wasn't bundled up in a parka as soon as we got above like 6000FT or so. It was pretty damn cold on the summit, but I was short sleeve shirt up until then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That was my first thought, too. I don't quite understand why but for some reason the really obvious doesn't seem to be obvious to a lot of folks. Too many people sign without reading and don't bother to ask what is allowed and what isn't.

For a tourist, they wouldn't even know to ask.
Right. We rented a car in Kona and another in Hilo. Neither agency mentioned it.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Going over Saddle Road seems to be pretty well accepted now by most [if not all] car rental companies, but going up to Mauna Kea varies. (Currently, Dollar allows taking a vehicle to the visitor center. But Avis has designated the entire Mauna Kea access road as "at your own risk".)

So as much as we can try to be helpful online by offering up our opinions and experiences, it really would behoove a renter to check for specifics from the company they are dealing with concerning Saddle Road and Mauna Kea access road.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
So as much as we can try to be helpful online by offering up our opinions and experiences, it really would behoove a renter to check for specifics from the company they are dealing with concerning Saddle Road and Mauna Kea access road.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Most recent trip over last fall we were suprised that Saddle Road had been widened almost like a freeway from Hilo to about the turnoff to Mauna Kea. (Actually I missed the old winding narrow road up there in the fog).

So is this widening project going to go all the way to Hwy 190 by Waikoloa Village? If so it sure will take a huge amount of travel time off the trip from Hilo to Waimea or Kona.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Once the road is completed, it will tie in to the upper road a bit south of the Waikoloa Road junction. For Waikoloa and Kona folks, it will be a good time-saver. For Waimea folks, it will mean quite a backtrack, so I doubt it will save any substancial time. But ask again, once it is opened and we can try it.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
This project has been as much about straightening out the kinks in the road as it has been about widening and leveling.
Here's an article from last fall about the great progress: Grading Done on Western End of Saddle Road; Paving Next | Big Island Now

Here's another: AASHTO Journal - December 14, 2012 - First Phase of Hawaii DOT's Saddle Road Project Finished Months Ahead of Schedule

BTW, in passing, the title of this thread is misleading. There never was a myth about rental cars on Saddle Road. What there was for a long time was an actual rule against it, because the road was rough and dangerous. That restriction was finally lifted a couple of years ago once some of the improvements had been made. But I have a slightly older map from the University of Hawai'i Press on my wall which clearly flags Saddle Road with the rental car warning, now moot.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
On the observatory access road, though, there is a sign to "Beware Invisible Cows". I always thought that was a nice touch.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM

438 posts, read 660,505 times
I went over saddle road more than 25 years ago. It really isn't a big deal.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
After reading so many posts about mythical rental car company contracts banning people from driving on Saddle Road, I feel compelled to share our experience from today.
I rented a car on the Big Island and drove across Saddle Road. I didn't realize I couldn't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island