Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my 12 year old grandson to see the volcanoes in May. We're on a budget. We need cheap transportation from Honolulu to Hawaii. Skymiles don't go to Hilo. Also any suggestions about lodging. We want to stay at Volcano House at least a couple of nights. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy456 View Post
I'm taking my 12 year old grandson to see the volcanoes in May. We're on a budget.
If you use the Search function here to pull up previous posts from the archives, you'll find a ton of information to help you.

Information on the volcano, and events in the park, can be found here: Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

Quote:
We need cheap transportation from Honolulu to Hawaii. Skymiles don't go to Hilo.
You're going to want to rent a car anyway, so I suggest you use your SkyMiles to fly into Kona and rent your car there.

Quote:
Also any suggestions about lodging. We want to stay at Volcano House at least a couple of nights. Thanks!
Volcano House Inn has not reopened yet. It's expected to reopen in 2013 but no date has been scheduled yet. They HAVE refurbished all the cabins at the Namakanipaio campground about a mile away, and they're currently renting at the bargain rate of $55 per night. I don't know how long that price will hold, but you can check their website at Volcano House

There are something like 250 beds available in Volcano B&Bs within a mile or so of the Park entrance, some of which are budget priced. Let your fingers do the walking...

In Kona, or in Hilo, the bargain hotel where locals stay for cheap is called Uncle Billy's. They usually have an internet special for around $100/night. AAA $85

Ohhh, I just checked and for next May you could book Hilo for $75 over the internet

Or with Hawai'i ID, kama'aina rate about $69.

Uncle Billy Family Hotels

Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,730,259 times
If you still want to fly into Hilo, the cheapest fares are on go! airlines (aka Mokulele).

Don't know about Uncle Billy's in Hilo, but the one in Kona is a real dump. You may be able to find some decent rates for lodging on a site called "Vacation Rentals by Owner", but watch out for the added cleaning fees.

It's great that you are taking your grandson to see the volcanoes. Just be aware that he may be underwhelmed if he expects to see lava shooting up in the air. Of course, it all changes daily, but right now there is activity in the lava lake in the Halema'uma'u crater that looks pretty spectacular after dark.

If you are over 62 you can get the National Parks Service Senior Pass for $10. You can use it to get into any national park free for the rest of your life. Fill out the application by mail so that you have it in hand for your trip.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Low Season - High Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Don't know about Uncle Billy's in Hilo, but the one in Kona is a real dump.
I never said it was a Three Star hotel. It's definitely dated and worn, but I've always had a clean room there, with clean sheets and towels, and very cheerful front desk. For under $100, I think it's good value for money for the frugal traveler, not to mention a slice of the real Hawai'i. When the wind is right, i can feel the presence of hunter Thompson's ghost there.

I love the location... walk across the street to the Kona Inn Restaurant, or the Canoe Club, or the Ukulele store, etc. or stroll along Ali'i Drive for several blocks of old school shops and restaurants.

Here's another cheapie.. Kona Islander Inn Hotel As cheap as $69 Low Season!

What's low season, you ask? as the Kona Islander explains on their web site...
Low Season - April 15 through December 14.
High Season - December 15 through April 14.
And if you notice, air fares to the Big island go up every year in mid-December, and stay high through the winter, although the last few years I think they've dropped in March. There's been lots of stuff holding the vacation market down.

[/quote]If you are over 62 you can get the National Parks Service Senior Pass for $10. You can use it to get into any national park free for the rest of your life. Fill out the application by mail so that you have it in hand for your trip.[/quote]

Good idea, although it's no biggie to get it at the gate. Takes about 5 minutes with a photo ID. And of course, if you go to any other National Park before then, you can get it there. Great thing is, it allows you to bring a whole carload of people in at no charge.

The insider secret is that the gate is open 24/7 and after 6pm admission is free. Free is good!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM

61 posts, read 121,916 times
The Manago Hotel in Kona is around $50 to $70 and Arnott's Lodge in Hilo is the same price. Neither is fancy, no TV even, but the price is right for those on a budget.

The VRBO's I stay at figure out to around $65 to $85 or so a night, but do have deposits and big cleaning fees. And some had to be reserved up to a year in advance...

Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrMade View Post
The Manago Hotel in Kona is around $50 to $70 and Arnott's Lodge in Hilo is the same price. Neither is fancy, no TV even, but the price is right for those on a budget.

The VRBO's I stay at figure out to around $65 to $85 or so a night, but do have deposits and big cleaning fees. And some had to be reserved up to a year in advance...
Be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook, even if you don't stay there. It's my favorite place to eat on the big island. I enjoyed it more than Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, for a fraction of the price.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,064,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The insider secret is that the gate is open 24/7 and after 6pm admission is free. Free is good!
Thanks for that tip!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Thanks for that tip!
Welcome. I do have the life pass, but my favorite time to hit the volcano overlook is around 7:30 - 8pm, when the sky is dark and the glow from the caldera is peak. On cloudless nights the Milky Way overhead in the black sky is stunning, and on cloudy nights their billowing undersides are orange/pink from the glow of the lava.

Then if I get chilled... it's always a good idea to bring a jacket because the Volcano is on a pressure ridge that causes it to be windy quite often... but if I'm feeling chilled when I'm done I try to catch Last Call around 9 at the bar in the KMC complex just down the road for a warming dram.

Ahhhh, it's better than TV.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,825,827 times
And THAT is the kind of thing that makes us love living on the quiet and wide open Big Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island