Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
The building inspector almost flipped out. He wanted them to tear it down "right now!".
Interesting thing, the building code now has provisions to allow building a traditional hale under permit, within certain restrictions. It's primarily designed to allow authentic historic recreations to be built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM

39 posts, read 73,710 times
Default Traditional Hale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Interesting thing, the building code now has provisions to allow building a traditional hale under permit, within certain restrictions. It's primarily designed to allow authentic historic recreations to be built.
I am wondering if this is only for "tourist locations" or if a private party could apply to build and live in an authentic, historic, re-creation? Interesting thought....

Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM

90 posts, read 279,869 times
Private parties can build under the traditional structure clause as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,800 times
Default Yurt engineering support

I'm interested in building a Smiling Woods Yurt variant here in Kailua-Kona and am running through a couple of variations, ranging from their complete 30 ft kit to just the roof with TBD walls. Can anyone guesstimate the cost of a locally made, 35 ft ( eaves ) diameter metal roof?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM

90 posts, read 279,869 times
The wooden sided yurts definitely end up costing more than their square wooden counterparts if you're going for permit-ability. But they're so much more fun Contact HPM for the most realistic numbers on custom roofing. Be sure your flashing is extra wide at the joins. The biggest issue most people have with the panel or wood sided yurts is leaking at the seams and difficult fit at the joins. Just be sure to triple check the math and go the extra mile at sealing all the seams and you should be good to go. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM

True. Every seam and join has the possibility of leaking and there are lots of both. Being the biggest potential trouble spot, I'd prefer a local roofer to one in the PNW. I'll drop by HPM tommorrow.

I've also played with the idea of using a catchment tank. Cheap, locally made, right diameter range and you can get a metal roof for it. It's not really a yurt but here's the inspiration ( Montesilo ) But also lots of seams and other holes :-( Maybe I should rethink fabric...

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanaonui View Post
True. Every seam and join has the possibility of leaking and there are lots of both.
True, and that's one of the key things that kept geodesic domes from becoming more successful than they were, because they are all roof and seams and joints. My dad's company had Buckminster Fuller design and build a spectacular 60' gold anodized geodome for a branch office, and it always leaked. Matter of fact, I've been in many domes, and the only ones that didn't leak were monolithic ferrocement ones I toured in Italy, Texas some years ago.

Having said that, they did not then have the high-tech sealants that we have today, which solve nearly all those crack and seam problems. If I were to build something like you illustrated, I'd budget heavily for the best sealants I could find and apply them liberally.

Quote:
Being the biggest potential trouble spot, I'd prefer a local roofer to one in the PNW. I'll drop by HPM tommorrow.
Be sure to ask about seam sealing. I could be wrong, but I'm of the impression that standing seam roofs typically depend on drainage angles and caps, not sealant, to keep rain out.

Quote:
I've also played with the idea of using a catchment tank. Cheap, locally made, right diameter range and you can get a metal roof for it.
I've seen several cottages created out of corrugated steel water tanks or silos, on agricultural property, in places without strict building codes. Unless they are well insulated they can be unbearably hot in the sun, and cold and hard to heat if the climate swings that way. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be in one during a serious wind storm. In any case, given the recent upgrade on the Big Island to the 2006 IBC codes, I'm skeptical about getting something like that permitted without extensive modification and additional structure added.

Quote:
It's not really a yurt but here's the inspiration ( Montesilo ) But also lots of seams and other holes :-( Maybe I should rethink fabric...
Maybe you should take a look at what Yurt Girl has to offer. Her yurts are fully permittable, there's nothing to reinvent, and she's delightful to talk to.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM

An empty, open tank is pretty floppy. Mine were 23 ft dia x 8 high and the rims flexed when you climbed over the edge for maintainence. In this case, the catchment tank would be mostly exterior cladding. I would start with a high wind load yurt design where vertical members ( insulation space ) tie the platform to the roof rafters but would replace the cylindrical wooden lattice / cable with a metal cylinder. Windows and doors could be inserted as a wall attached frame panel much like the operable ones now used in yurts. A metal roof ( with ceiling ) could provide an insulation space and allow for eaves, gutters and straight vent pipes.

Same for my experience with standing seams. Roof panels expand and contract with temperature. Instead of sealant, you try to use the drainage angles, caps and the ridges to keep the rain out. But I've not worked on a round one before. But with any roof, things also get interesting when you need vent holes, skylights, etc... The seamless tent has some perks.

I'd love to tour the yurt in Volcano and talk story. I've visited her website often enough. Maybe I can buy a yurt and "remodel" later.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanaonui View Post
Same for my experience with standing seams. Roof panels expand and contract with temperature. Instead of sealant, you try to use the drainage angles, caps and the ridges to keep the rain out.
Yes, exactly. That's the traditional approach, and it is still the most important principle, to use gravity to do the work to draw water away from openings. But with space-age sealants that can expand and contract along with the roof seams, it's now possible to go the extra mile to protect against wind-driven rain which can work water into unexpected places.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 PM

26 posts, read 72,862 times
Hopefully not too far off topic on an old thread, but would like to ask a simple question.......
Will the county approve a monolithic fero-cement dome at this point or any geodesic structures??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island