Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM

151 posts, read 329,745 times

Advertisements

(Where I live, if you wanted to eat outdoors with a porch light on in a summer evening, you'd end up going back inside after the bugs joined you in your meal or began eating you as their meal l)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM

I've heard about the cockroaches, termites and centipedes...how bad are the mosquitos?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
Funny Whtviper1. What I said was, if you turn a light on, will a swarm of bugs be attracted to it?
No, not usually. Depends on where you live. Let's take mosquitoes - they breed with standing water nearby (not salt water)- so drier areas, especially with no sprinkler nearby, tend to not have any issues. Many areas have no issues with bugs whatsoever when the light is on. You are probably much more likely to have bug issues in the summer in Michigan than you will in Hawaii. Again, depends on where you live.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I've heard about the cockroaches, termites and centipedes...how bad are the mosquitos?
Mosquitoes - all depends on where you live. You can go an entire year without being bit - or have an issue, all depends on location.

Termites aren't much of an issue as long as the house is treated and you maintain it - it is part of the home inspection, you can't get a loan with a termite issue.

Cockroaches - again, partly depends on where you live - if you keep doors/windows open, cleanliness, etc....you may not see one all year - or you may see a lot.

Centipedes - same as the above - you may never see one - or you might.

We are in the tropics - we have bugs - but we aren't infested with them. On Oahu, I've probably been bitten by a mosquito maybe 3 times the last 5 years.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
What I said was, if you turn a light on, will a swarm of bugs be attracted to it?
Yup, absolutely. Sometimes it seems the Island of Hawai'i is made of bugs. Which is why you want a screened lanai. And dim lights. I use a string of LED holiday lights on mine, with a kerosene lantern in the middle of the table while we're eating.

In many areas the mosquitoes are quite fierce around dusk. And the nightime ones are the ones that can keep you awake all night if you let them in. But the daytime ones are the ones that carry Dengue Fever, so mosquito repellent is good to use when you're outside at any time of day. Kona side is better than Puna side, but it's all a matter of degree.

Night seems to fall faster on the windward side than on the leeward, because Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea shade the east side of the island from the direct rays of the setting sun. But once the sun sets, it gets dark quickly, and it gets darker than many mainland folks have ever experienced. On a clear moonless night, away from strong lights, the sky actually appears to be black, the stars are breathtakingly bright, and the Milky Way is clear and distinct. It's part of what I love, being able to see the Milky Way from my property.

By law, all outside lights on the Big Island must be subdued and point downward, for the protection of the multi-billion dollar astronomical observatories on top of Mauna Kea. Street lights are few and far between, and most are a very dim yellow in color, of a precise sodium hue the astronomers can filter out.

For these and other reasons, the whole island goes to bed early. By 9pm, most businesses are closed, most business districts are dark.

Just a couple more of those 1,001 differences Hawai'i has with the mainland.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Very interesting stuff and good to know - these are things I'm not reading about in my books and research. Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on the Kona Paradise subdivision in Capt. Cook - good, bad or otherwise?

Looks as though the houses are on top of each other, built into a hill that leads down to Pebble Beach...most of them have expansive ocean views and are actually quite affordable...30 minutes from Kona...vog will be an issue...anything else I should be aware of?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Ugh...just read somewhere that the undertow can be dangerous at Pebble Beach and that you need 4WD to even get down there

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Yes there are bugs, many types of bugs. Depending on what area you live, which bugs are the most bothersome will be different. There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer about bugs.

The sun sets/rises at different times of day during the year, with summer having the longest days. Your location in relation to the mountains will matter.

I'd hope that lanai dining is not a deal-breaker for you, as that sort of worry is cutting things way too close for being able to make it here happily.

Have you decided on which school(s) you are willing to consider? That will narrow down your home hunt.

The realtor you deal with ... have you considered if you want just one for the entire island, or one is each area? The nuances you are dealing with will be easier to navigate with the help of a real estate professional.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM

If bugs are that bad on the Big Island try another island. I've yet to have any bug - bug me on Oahu. I enjoy outdoor dining on Maui. That is the island for you.

Note. Several times invited to dinner on the BI. Never a bug problem at work friends houses

Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
A light breeze is your best friend for keeping mosquitoes away, which is why they don't seem as common near the ocean. On the other hand, walking across a grass lawn after it's been rainy weather for a while can stir up clouds of them.

The fact is that although mosquitoes are most prevalent in the wetter areas, they are found all across the the Hawaiian islands:
http://hawaii.gov/health/environment...quitoflyer.pdf

A mosquito scare on Oahu a few months ago brought reminders about combating mosquitoes around the house:

Quote:
Hongly Khuy is constantly swatting at mosquitoes around his Kalihi Valley home. They've multiplied after the recent rains."When it's wet, inside the house okay, but when you go around the house, around this area, whoa, it's just like tons you know," said Khuy.
Rare mosquito found at Honolulu airport prompts 'call to action' - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island