Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM

151 posts, read 329,745 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on possibly living in this community? Is it noisy? Convenient? Which schools? Is the beach (Hon'l) decent for kids? Are the association fees high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Check with the Alii Cove resident manager or association president for info on schools, fees, nearby "safe for children" beaches, etc.

Quote:
Many may not realize that today’s Bodyboard was created in Kailua-Kona, at Wai‘aha, a place commonly referred to as “Honl’s” (after the name of the family that used to live there.) Wai‘aha (“Gathering Water,”) a little strip of white sand beach, just on the outskirts of Kailua Village, is now a County Beach Park. It is a popular surf spot, especially with bodyboarders.....In 2006, the Hawai‘i County acquired the property fronting the beach and it is now part of the County beach park system. Parking for users is also mauka of Ali‘i Drive and was provided by a developer as a condition of a rezoning.
Here are pictures (with comments) of Honl's Beach Park.

And this.

I've never been swimming there, but I've heard it is rocky and can havestrong currents.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you Doesn't seem like a good beach for kids

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Anybody here live in Alii Cove now? Curious as to what the monthly HOA fees are now. We sold almost 5 years ago and it seemed like they were skyrocketing higher.

Thinking of buying again but seems like many of the developments have really had steep HOA increases.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM

61 posts, read 192,313 times
Gorgeous complex with a lovely saltwater pool. Right on Alii, so there is some road noise, but it depends how far up the unit is that you live in. We came this close to renting there... a beautiful 2BD ground floor unit with a small yard. Granite counters, super clean, wonderful landscaping.

Then I had a total stranger come up to me while I was shopping at Ross with a friend and talking about how I hoped we got approved for this great condo at Alii Cove. She saw my daughter and told me point blank, "You don't want to live there with kids. We have been there 4 years and are trying to sell and get out." She had older kids, 9 and 11 I think, and told me the population there was 90% or more retirees who want peace and quiet all the time. She had issues with complaints about her kids even if they rode their bikes out in back of the condo, when they went to the pool... everywhere.

I spoke directly to the manager of the complex about it. He hemmed and hawed a bit, obviously not wanting to put off a prospective renter, and told me that there were more families than 3-4 years ago. But it was pretty clear that is wasn't a family-oriented complex.

Alii Lani is by far the most family-friendly complex that we looked at, and Kona Surf & Racquet is friendly too (but not many long term rentals there). Alii Lani is more tightly packed though, smaller units and tighter parking. But we met a nice family in the 10 minutes we sat at the pool talking over the rental unit we saw there. It definitely has the more budget-friendly rentals as well.

I have a friend who lives at Kona Sea Ridge and has had people give her grief when her 4-year-old gets too excited at the pool. It really bothers me as a parent that retirees think they "own" these complexes and they have a some kind of right to not be "bothered" by children. It's so selfish.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowkim View Post
I have a friend who lives at Kona Sea Ridge and has had people give her grief when her 4-year-old gets too excited at the pool. It really bothers me as a parent that retirees think they "own" these complexes and they have a some kind of right to not be "bothered" by children. It's so selfish.
Another example of why to not rent/buy sight unseen, because the make up of the residents is important.

While retirees and everyone else have the right to seek quiet should that be their desire, if they live in a condo then the rules will dictate just how quiet (or not) it is. Being knowledgeable about the rules before renting/buying is important, both for those who want quiet, as well as those who have happy noisy playing children.

I've found it more of a problem of "owners" vs "short term renters" that causes conflict, not so much an age thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Great to know, thank you Willow Kim!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Anyone have any comments about Alii Park Place, Na Hale O Keauhou, or the Kaulana at Kona complexes?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM

(I noticed they all had seemingly nice units available in the $1,200-2,000 per month range - for a 3 bedroom.)

Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 43,515 times
If you can get a 3-bedroom at Na Hale O Keauhou for $2000 per month, go for it. On VRBO, the going rate for a 3-bedroom at that complex is $1200-$2000 PER WEEK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island