Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times

Advertisements

It's nothing to do with 'knocking' Hilo. It's just when you look at the picture perfect 'postcard' tourist destination, Hilo doesn't even come close. Personally, I like Hilo, had a house down there in the late 90's. But it never will be a major tourist destination.. And Volcano........................................... .....

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
You don't get it Open, if Hilo or even the Big Island was as cool as you make it out to be then you wouldn't be debating record tourism numbers in Hawaii all the time and the lack thereof on the Big Island. I'm sure people aren't staying away because good ole me says so or if they are I'm in the wrong business. No need to be defensive if people stay away.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Unfortunately, lots of new small businesses does do indicate a better economy. Go back in a year and see how many of them are still open. That will tell you a lot more about the state of the economy.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There isn't a single hotel/resort fit for tourists.
And that's a fact.

Heck, even as West side residents, there are times we think of going to Hilo for an event, but if it requires an overnight stay (such as for a late night ending to the event), it is not worth the huhu of finding a clean and fresh smelling place to stay. We've even stopped using a favorite medical clinic, because the decent overnight accommodations are too limited.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 AM

Hilo Hawaiian is OK. Uncle Billys????????? Even my employees never liked staying there, but when the alternative is Waiakea Villas, suddenly Uncles looks pretty good.

Aloha

Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Hilo Hawaiian is OK.
I've stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian over 100 nights - I hate to disagree with an ok - but.....

The only thing I find redeeming about the hotel is the park next door - good for a run or a walk in the morning (if it isn't raining). A lot of the staff is friendly. It does have quick access into the main drag of Hilo for a bite to eat.

Other than that....

It is a time warp back in time when staying at the hotel - to say it needs a complete restoration is understatement.

The walls are windows are paper thin. This means the frogs are practically in your room - and, where the Hilo Hawaiian is - it is infested with them. From sundown and all night - it isn't pleasant.

The bedding mattresses seem like they are 10 or more years old - not comfortable.

The shower - well, if you like water pressure, you've come to the right place - it feels like it will take your skin off - and any hair you have.

The walls/flooring all have a early 70's feel - and not in a good way. It quite frankly is kind of a nasty shower area.

They finally replaced the TV's - except they put in the tiniest flat screens I've ever seen.

Internet is terrible.

The bar closes at 9:00 - it is one thing for Hilo to shut down, but jeez, a hotel bar?

The food is terrible and expensive. There is no lunch available except pre-packaged, not very good sandwiches.

No gift shop to buy things like water or soda - you better hope the machines are stocked.

It isn't as bad as a typical Motel 6 - but not much better.

I'll add - it is a hotel you'd expect in Bakerfield (sorry Bakerfield), but not fit for tourists. It is best as a 1 night hotel because it is to late to drive back to the Kona side. And 99% of my issues with Hilo are accomodations.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 AM

And your alternative is???? Guess the point is that there are no first class hotels in Hilo for a reason. And doesn't the Hawaiian still have thursday night music?? guess it's been a while. Cause I guarantee you that the bar was open way past 900 o'clock then.

aloha

Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Got to agree with the rest. I travel to the BI monthly and fly into Hilo, rent a car, work and then drive to Kailua-Kona to sleep. Work more and fly out of Kona.

I'd prefer not to, but as a business traveler, I'm all about points, wifi and service.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Hilo Hawaiian is OK. Uncle Billys????????? Even my employees never liked staying there, but when the alternative is Waiakea Villas, suddenly Uncles looks pretty good.
Those are examples of the sad choices that keep us from staying over in Hilo! I don't demand fancy, or new, or a view. But I do demand a clean room (including bedspread and upholstery), fresh air, and not needing to wear my slippers 24/7 while in the room. The Hilo hotels are just plain creepy.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
And your alternative is???? Guess the point is that there are no first class hotels in Hilo for a reason. And doesn't the Hawaiian still have thursday night music?? guess it's been a while. Cause I guarantee you that the bar was open way past 900 o'clock then.

aloha
There really is no alternative - and that is one of the issues with Hilo, it is a pretty low bar in terms of hotels. They have music at the hotel quite often - but the bar is never open much past 9:00.

Some good news - there is supposed to be a remodel to rooms next Spring. And, if you read the blistering reviews on Tripadvisor (I'm tame compared to them), the GM takes the time respond to those reviews regardless of how negative.

Hilo is an easy target to pick on - but if they had 1 freaking decent hotel it would make a HUGE difference in getting tourists and repeat customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island