Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times

Advertisements

To each their own. But I'd not be wanting to buy property, or build a house, unless I knew for sure where the property lines were. A "do it yourself" survey, done by someone who is not knowledgeable, can be as reliable as a "do it yourself" concrete job... great, until the cracks start showing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
To each their own. But I'd not be wanting to buy property, or build a house, unless I knew for sure where the property lines were. A "do it yourself" survey, done by someone who is not knowledgeable, can be as reliable as a "do it yourself" concrete job... great, until the cracks start showing up.
+1

Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 AM

49 posts, read 132,792 times
When the original developers performed the original surveys, I wonder where they reported that information?

Oh, yea, to the County Planning Department. If it's a subdivision, the county Planning Department has the "Subdivision Book"; you can sit in their office and look through the book like in the reference section of a public library. It's a Very Very interesting read thanks to the Gov. Ariyoshi gang.

There's Lat/Long & elevation in the books and who doesn't have a gps iphone? Our new neighbor found his back pin in about 8 minutes and he's a skinny, pasty 23 year old Minnasota'an who never heard of the word 'machete' before.

Metal detectors don't work on most of the island, according to the metal detector rental places.

And we ALWAYS pour our own crackless slab, footings/foundation.

When we signed our real estate contract for purchase, there was a clause that said that we needed to make sure, even though our AGENT was our AGENT, we needed to make sure to consult with:
An Attorney,
An Accountant
An Appraiser
An Architect
A Pest Control Expert
A Home Inspector
An Insurance Advisor
A Contractor
A Land Surveyor
An Electrical Engineer
A Civil Engineer
A Structural Engineer
A Soils Engineer
A Land Use Professional
A Zoning Expert
An Environmental Engineer
A Designer
An Estate Planner
A Title Insurer
Other Professionals, and/or "Subject matter experts"

People can't even pick their own nose.

Last edited by 1hotnspicy1; 12-18-2012 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Pissed off as usual

Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM

49 posts, read 132,792 times
That's actually pretty funny!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Yea, well, like I said, to each their own. Of course, I'm the type that likes having, for example, a professional MD consult on my major medical questions, instead of the just the neighbor with google on his cel phone, but hey, that's just me.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
In my case, measurements didn't help, GPS didn't help, and metal detectors didn't help, because the pins were buried 3' deep under soil that had migrated over the years due to erosion from uphill properties and street paving and utility pole placement.

With an approximation from all of the above, what actually worked was excavating the general area with pick and shovel until we found the first one, and then repeating the process with a little more precision for the rest.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

113 posts, read 396,666 times
Thanks everyone got a good idea of what to expect now.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
2021 update. To get four monuments located: $1,500. To have a point set on the property line (like for marking where a fence would be), $175 per point.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:17 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
We paid a bit more for that about twelve years ago to have some new pins placed, but it was a small lot and no jungle hacking. That was an interesting lot, though, one of the pins was six feet up a cliff side, no wonder it had been hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: