Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
OK countrygal...you sound like you don't like visitors and appear a bit argumentative, but I'll not be involved in that. FYI, .
Maybe it is just me, but I don't get that feeling at all from her posts. Her advice seemed cogent and rational. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
People keep calling them "trouble makers." Let's call a spade a spade: these are opportunistic theives who find easy pickings in campgrounds--for the easy access mentioned above. Also more commonly known as meth-heads. I was surprised to see the gated campgrounds on the other islands, we don't have those (yet?) on Kaua'i. But we have had our share of incidents, including a slash-and-grab thief I saw firsthand at the Anahola campground. I think what the PunaWeb article is trying to say is: "camping in Hawaii is not like camping on the mainland, don't plan on doing it until you've checked out the scene, and don't count on camping as a cheap replacement for lodging."

But the problem is not limited to campgrounds, vacation rentals (houses and condos) get robbed all the time:

Wedding memories are stolen during Kauai vacation - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

And despite this story, nor is it limited to Anahola.

Last edited by KauaiHiker; 02-08-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
There have been problems of violence, in Hawaii and elsewhere, even long before meth-heads.

Criminal activity is a fact of life. Using common sense can help prevent yourself from coming in contact with a percentage of those troublemakers.

Some of the "violence" is rooted in a deep-rooted dissatisfaction within the troublemaker's own mind about their own life. Heck, often violence is not even committed with robbery being the foremost motivation. Keeping yourself out of their path of destruction/violence is the best defense to it ... such as, don't go camping in an unknown camping area ~ know what you are doing and if it is presumably safe.

Side note:

Robbery
is taking possessions from a victim, in person. ["Robbery is the taking or attempting to take something of value from another person by use of force, threats or intimidation. It is committed in the presence of the victim."]

Burglary is taking possessions from a dwelling or building. ["Burglary is the unlawful entry of a ‘structure’ to commit a theft".]

Robbery brings with it the threat of physical violence, since it is face-to-face. Burglary does not. The type of criminal that would commit a robbery is way more dangerous than the common thief.

It can be rough out there in the world. Folks need to use common sense, and to not presume that just because they are here in a tropical paradise that there are not evil people in the mix.

Overall, Hawaii is a very safe and fun place to live and vacation. Part of being to enjoy the greatness of the place is to think ahead, and not be oblivious to normal safety rules.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
And the police have a suspect under arrest... an 18 year old Hilo man.

Robbery suspect arrested | Hawaii Tribune Herald

Keep in mind that this kind of thing is unusual enough on the Big Island that it's big news. Is there crime? Yes, as there is wherever human beings live. Is it out of control? No, the violent crime rate is actually relatively low.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM

From the above linked article:

Quote:
One of the victims, [xxx], a 29-year-old neuropsychologist and assistant professor at Palo Alto University, told the Tribune-Herald on Wednesday that she was camping at the county park with a 29-year-old San Franciscan named Daniel, whom she had met at Hilo Bay Hostel, when she was awakened by an intruder in their tent.
Quote:
“I hope this doesn’t hurt Hawaii’s reputation (as a visitor destination) because this is just one of those unfortunate situations where someone’s at the wrong place at the wrong time. …
Like I said earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Overall, Hawaii is a very safe and fun place to live and vacation. Part of being to enjoy the greatness of the place is to think ahead, and not be oblivious to normal safety rules.
Normal safety rules ... going with a near stranger to camp in remote campground ... duh.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
I heartily agree with both of you, Open and Cyber, but I still thought the news article was timely for the thread.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM

It was, it helps illustrate that some of the problems that are encountered here in Hawaii (as elsewhere) can be attributed to "wrong place at the wrong time", and the importance of paying attention to what you are doing (and don't think "paradise" is a magical bubble of lawfulness).

Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Exactly...and that's how tourists get nailed in many other places I've lived that are also alleged "paradises". They let their guard down.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM

293 posts, read 361,831 times
I'm going to stick my neck out here.....Having lived in Texas many years, we know how to protect our selfs. Hasn't anyone ever heard of a Glock 19 or a Glock 23 40 cal? That would be one way to put a stop to this BS. Carry a gun to a knife fight and put a stop to it. I don't know Hawaii's gun laws, but I would think one could legally protect them selfs.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out here.....Having lived in Texas many years, we know how to protect our selfs. Hasn't anyone ever heard of a Glock 19 or a Glock 23 40 cal? That would be one way to put a stop to this BS. Carry a gun to a knife fight and put a stop to it. I don't know Hawaii's gun laws, but I would think one could legally protect them selfs.
It is highly unlikely that a tourist would have access to a gun.

Hawai'i has among the most restrictive gun laws in the country. Bringing a gun into the state, you must register it with the police within 3 days. To buy a gun, you must apply to the police for a permit to acquire, which takes a minimum of 2 weeks, and involves a thorough background check with many disqualifiers such as a record of mental illness or domestic violence or drug trafficking; also fingerprinting, and successful completion of a safety course. Concealed carry permits are on a "may issue" basis and are extremely rare.

One effect of this is that gun related violence in the state is very low.

It's also worth noting that incidents like this one are unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island