Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times

Advertisements

Perhaps she could be satisfied with constructing an outdoor environment that would attract the birds, such as feeders, plants that attract them, shelter, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I think there are a LOT more birds in the Volcano area than the rest of the island. You can hear them everywhere and see them flitting around, so in the Volcano area, a cage bird might be redundant. Not so many birds in the other areas, at least it seems that way to me.

No need to worry about roosters, chicken soup cures crowing, guaranteed! The little table top roosters aren't real loud but they are very persistent. We had three table top chickens once but moved them out as a set to someone else and now we just have three regular sized hens. Not anywhere near as much noise. Your wife can have chickens and pet birds, nothing says you can't have one if you have the other.

A nice big outside aviary might be nice, too. Maybe screen in a lanai and let the birds fly around there. It doesn't ever freeze here so the birds will be fine. Kinda like having house birds without the house.

A pet turkey would be a lovely pet, too. They are very sweet birds. Not very bright, but very sweet. As was mentioned, they are great yard pets. They like to see what you are doing and make commentary about it. Don't teach them to jump up to get food, though, otherwise you will have a turkey on your head occasionally. Turkeys are a lot cheaper than a parrot, too, when it comes time to get one or four.

If you live in a wet area, ducks are fun. They make good pets, too, plus eggs you can eat. A lot of folks have chickens and ducks as pets and get eggs from them, too.

If you had a nice secure back yard, she could fill it with all sorts of birds. If you keep a few domestic birds around the wild ones will drop in for a free lunch, too.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I think there are a LOT more birds in the Volcano area than the rest of the island. You can hear them everywhere and see them flitting around, so in the Volcano area, a cage bird might be redundant. Not so many birds in the other areas, at least it seems that way to me.
Yes, Volcano is tops in that regard, being on the flyway between the National Park and the Forest Reserve, which are two of the most important conservation areas for the honeydrippers, and nene geese, and other endemic birds of Hawai'i, as well as introduced species such as Brazilian Cardinals and Mynahs. But Hilo gets most of the same birds, if not in quite such profusion. See this previous discussion: https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...s-hilo-hi.html

Quote:
If you live in a wet area, ducks are fun. They make good pets, too, plus eggs you can eat. A lot of folks have chickens and ducks as pets and get eggs from them, too.
Ducks are also voracious eaters of snails and slugs and frogs, so they earn their keep that way too.

Quote:
If you had a nice secure back yard, she could fill it with all sorts of birds. If you keep a few domestic birds around the wild ones will drop in for a free lunch, too.
My neighbors have chickens. Kahili Pheasants come out of the woods at feeding time to join the buffet.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
My wife is aware of the mosquito/avian malaria problem, so outdoor aviaries are out. She has no problem attracting birds and I hope that would suffice. I don't see chickens in her future no matter how cute, although there is no telling what kinds of birds she will find irresistible. I just don't see a chicken sitting on her shoulder while she reads.

And turkeys in Virginia are wily creatures, again I can't see one sitting on a shoulder.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Just catch a pua'a ula, they're all over the place on the bigger island. Easy to tame, eat scraps. super glue some feathers on the sucker and you're good to go....

Aloha

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
My wife is aware of the mosquito/avian malaria problem, so outdoor aviaries are out. She has no problem attracting birds and I hope that would suffice. I don't see chickens in her future no matter how cute, although there is no telling what kinds of birds she will find irresistible. I just don't see a chicken sitting on her shoulder while she reads.

And turkeys in Virginia are wily creatures, again I can't see one sitting on a shoulder.
There is no reason why an outdoor aviary would be out unless you were attempting to keep an endemic Hawaii species. Imported species are resistant to avian malaria and even if infected their "easy" life should allow them to recover. In fact, keeping them inside with less access to fresh air and sunshine (mosquitoes WILL get in your house) might be worse for your birds than keeping them outside. We came here with 7 healthy parrots, all now living outside. And now we have 7 HEALTHIER parrots. Plus 14 livestock birds. All healthy. All outside.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Could you upload a picture or two of your aviary?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Perhaps she could be satisfied with constructing an outdoor environment that would attract the birds, such as feeders, plants that attract them, shelter, etc.?
Are there any frog-eating species in Hawaii?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Are there any frog-eating species in Hawaii?
Chickens and ducks.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Chickens and ducks.
I vote for more chickens, more ducks, and less frogs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island