Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM

502 posts, read 985,667 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there have any stories about being able to swim at Whit Beach when the water is calm ? Has anyone swam there ? What times of the year, if any is the water calm enough to safely enter ? Everytime I get the chance to visit Whit, the water is way too rough. Also, I was wondering if the feral cats there are part time lifeguards. Can they be relied upon ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
'Also, I was wondering if the feral cats there are part time lifeguards. Can they be relied upon ?'

Just make ABSOLUTELY sure they're feral cats, and not someones house cat.. House cats just aren't to be trusted when it comes to some things, especially as life guards. I'd also make sure they're not from Volcano.
Just sayin.....

Mahalo,,, mahalo very much, heavy on the mahalos, mahalo nui loa, mahalo nui nui..........................

Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Anyone out there have any stories about being able to swim at Whit Beach when the water is calm ? Has anyone swam there ? What times of the year, if any is the water calm enough to safely enter ? Everytime I get the chance to visit Whit, the water is way too rough. Also, I was wondering if the feral cats there are part time lifeguards. Can they be relied upon ?

Been there several times...water was always rough. Didn't see any cats, did see signs saying beware of the seals. Didn't see any of them, either.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
It's a great park to stop, have a picnic, watch the waves, catch some sun. I almost always stop there on my way around the south end of the island.

It is very seldom calm enough to swim safely. Some locals do, and some swim in the fish ponds, but I personally wouldn't go there to swim.

Also be careful of falling coconuts. Those buggahs can hurt you!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM

I love the old concrete dock there in Whittington. I would have thought by now with all the pounding by the waves that it would be dissolved by now. Such is a token of American Enginuity . Too bad American trucks are not made to last as long as that dock !! Mean while I have this private love affair with Toyota Trucks. (shuuuu dont tell no one . ) It is unpatriotic to by imports - stuff not made in the USA. By the way, what is actually made soley in the USA ? Seems like we went from a manufacturing country to this impoverished mess where stuff is outsourced to China and Malaysia. I goose we still have a war mooshine.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Aren't the Toyota pickups made in the USA? Tennessee or someplace like that?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM

You only know part of the story or you may have some bias...... sure (and unfortunately), Americans can assemble, but the Engineering is anything BUTT American !

Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I goose we still have a war mooshine.
Kakahaiaka Mongo... Just one question, what is up with you folks down in Volcano? Is it the air? The tropical breeze? Downwind from the eruption? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Aloha

Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Ha, ha, Jungjohann. Unfortunately I can't give you any more rep points!

Yes, people do swim at Whittington Beach. I've never heard anyone call it "Whit". There are some pools there that offer protection and I've seen keiki swimming there. I guess if the keiki can handle it, then Mangodog should be able to (unless he's had too much moonshine). Mangodog, how was riding down the hill from the Police Station to Whittington Beach on your skateboard?

BTW, if anyone is interested in visiting this area, there's some great wave watching at Honu'apo. When you are at the entrance to Whittington, just keep going to the second driveway Hilo side and take the dirt road straight to the water. It's an easy drive in a regular car. You don't need a large swell to see some spectacular waves!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Anyone launch OC1 boats or surfskis from there? The bottom looks a little too rocky for anything like that.

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: