Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daijoubu View Post
Well, isn't that the purpose of the county building permit inspector, that my plan is reviewed for safety and compliance to code, or else they wouldn't approve it? Why do I need another architect to essentially duplicate this effort?
The inspector is simply doing a check of the work that the architect did. It is not usually comprehensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Quote:
I think if someone wants to do it themselves using approved software, this should be allowed as well.
The key word here is "approved." To my knowledge, software is not certified to produce valid plans. Perhaps it can, but that doesn't mean it has the same liability that an architect does. Plus, does the software have the ability to take into account all the local codes? I work in software, and I think the day is still a long ways away when the government certifies software to produce building plans for individuals--too much would need to change on the software side and the government side. But it would be interesting: a tool that takes local codes as input, lets the user do a rough design, and creates guaranteed plans as output. I had a friend who worked for an architect, and that was essentially he job.

Quote:
BTW, if you could recommend some architects in the Puna area who might be willing to work with an owner-builder with the right software, and sign off on the plans for a modest fee, please let me know privately.
This is the way to go. Get referred to a friend of a friend who works for an architect, and make a deal.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
...but the Architect doesn't need to live in Hawaii to have a Hawaii stamp. He /she needs to have either passed the Hawaii exam, or received reciprocity through the NCARB.
My Denver architect formerly lived and worked in Hawai'i, but is no longer licensed in Hawai'i. That's why he sent it on to an associate in Hawai'i for the stamp. It cost me nothing so it was immaterial.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You have a misunderstanding of what you are paying for. They have to review every aspect of your plan for safety and compliance to code, because when their stamp goes on the plan, they are certifying the suitability of the plan, and now have a professional accountability and liability to the project.
Sounds like a worth-while process to me. Certain standards have to be maintained for the good of all. Just hope it is not deemed "un-necessary" by M Pele's personal rep.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
For a long time a long time ago, homeowners could draw up a set of house plans that didn't require a stamp, but I'm not sure if that is still true. A long time ago, sometime in the early 80's or late '70's, if it was less than 1,800 square feet and built of standard 2" x 4" @ 16" o.c. type framing, it didn't require a stamp. Then it had to be less than 1,600 square feet and had to be on a a concrete foundation and trusses instead of rafters and it wouldn't require a stamp. Oh, and less than 30" roof overhangs. But that was some time in the '90's, it's probably changed by now. It might be worth asking the Building Department if there are any residential structures that can be built without a architect's/engineer stamp, there might be something that can be built if it falls within certain standards.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
For a long time a long time ago, homeowners could draw up a set of house plans that didn't require a stamp, but I'm not sure if that is still true. A long time ago, sometime in the early 80's or late '70's, if it was less than 1,800 square feet and built of standard 2" x 4" @ 16" o.c. type framing, it didn't require a stamp. Then it had to be less than 1,600 square feet and had to be on a a concrete foundation and trusses instead of rafters and it wouldn't require a stamp. Oh, and less than 30" roof overhangs. But that was some time in the '90's, it's probably changed by now. It might be worth asking the Building Department if there are any residential structures that can be built without a architect's/engineer stamp, there might be something that can be built if it falls within certain standards.
Here's a money-maker for somebody. Amass a collection of already-approved designs that people can access and purchase without having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Here's a money-maker for somebody. Amass a collection of already-approved designs that people can access and purchase without having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
I am sure it is done.

I was looking at one piece of property, building ready, that came with a set of approved plans, and the ad said that the seller was an architect and if you didn't like those plans, you could choose from several others. So there is one guy right there who would probably sell you a set of plans with a stamp on them.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

129 posts, read 389,855 times
By "stamping" a set of plans, the architect takes responsibility that the building is designed and built according to the building codes in effect. You pay for that responsibility.

Why have county building inspectors, is a lot like asking why have traffic cops if everyone on the road has to have a drivers license in the first place.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am sure it is done.

I was looking at one piece of property, building ready, that came with a set of approved plans, and the ad said that the seller was an architect and if you didn't like those plans, you could choose from several others. So there is one guy right there who would probably sell you a set of plans with a stamp on them.
Right, but you would have to pay extra for that stamp- and for him to tailor the drawings to the particulars of the site (slopes, utilities, etc). There are a lot of businesses like this. Many have one price for just the drawings, and another for the drawings plus the stamp and follow-thru. BTW an architect can lose his license for "selling" you his stamp. He has an obligation to review the design if he is going to stamp it.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
To save dollars, we had a draftsman design our house, and then we had an architect stamp the plans. It took some dedicated time on the phone to seek out who was going to do what, and for what fee(s).

The county inspector has a different role than an architect. As the house was built (owner-builder), the county inspector came out incrementally to make sure the construction was following the plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: