Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 38,641 times

Advertisements

I am building my own home in HPP and am looking for some help finding a LOW COST way to get that "architect stamp" that the county requires for owner-builders who submit their own home plans? The "pro" architects I asked want thousands of dollars for just "stamping" the work I did myself. Well, I understand they want some business, but if someone is capable of, and puts in the time to design it themselves, there ought to be some way to get that official approval taken care of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daijoubu View Post
The "pro" architects I asked want thousands of dollars for just "stamping" the work I did myself.
You have a misunderstanding of what you are paying for. They have to review every aspect of your plan for safety and compliance to code, because when their stamp goes on the plan, they are certifying the suitability of the plan, and now have a professional accountability and liability to the project.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
Land of the free, to a degree...

Good luck daijoubu hope you find a way around their red tape.

Every free man should be allowed to build his own house.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You have a misunderstanding of what you are paying for. They have to review every aspect of your plan for safety and compliance to code, because when their stamp goes on the plan, they are certifying the suitability of the plan, and now have a professional accountability and liability to the project.
Well, isn't that the purpose of the county building permit inspector, that my plan is reviewed for safety and compliance to code, or else they wouldn't approve it? Why do I need another architect to essentially duplicate this effort?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well, isn't that the purpose of the county building permit inspector, that my plan is reviewed for safety and compliance to code, or else they wouldn't approve it? Why do I need another architect to essentially duplicate this effort?
Because that's how it is done here.

I could give you other reasons and rationales, and tell you about the history, but from a practical standpoint the only thing that really matters is to do what they tell you to do.

Besides, the fee for an architect's stamp is a fraction of what it would cost to have an architect draw custom plans, so just accept it as a necessary cost, and move on.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Because that's how it is done here.

I could give you other reasons and rationales, and tell you about the history, but from a practical standpoint the only thing that really matters is to do what they tell you to do.

Besides, the fee for an architect's stamp is a fraction of what it would cost to have an architect draw custom plans, so just accept it as a necessary cost, and move on.
I don't doubt that. I'm sure the rules came about thru a complex history and political maneuvering, like most such things. But I hope changes come soon to reflect the advancement of technology, especially the sophisticated architectural software that's available now that really handles all these structural, safety, and code issues automatically. An owner-builder can confidently design a good sound structure this way. The county should allow these without the services of an architect.

I have nothing against architects, and I think the vast majority of people who build their own homes do not have the knowledge, time or inclination to do it this way, and so hire architects and general contractors 99% of the time. It won't hurt their business, but I think if someone wants to do it themselves using approved software, this should be allowed as well.

BTW, if you could recommend some architects in the Puna area who might be willing to work with an owner-builder with the right software, and sign off on the plans for a modest fee, please let me know privately.

Mahalo

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
BTW, if you could recommend some architects in the Puna area who might be willing to work with an owner-builder with the right software, and sign off on the plans for a modest fee, please let me know privately.
Check your mailbox.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I think "thousands" is probably too much, but it is not just the act of stamping the plans. The architect must do all the work of measuring everything and doing all the math and calculating all the loads. It is not like he is charging you thousands for a 2 minute job.

For those in the know, does the architect or engineer have to be living in Hawaii? I may ship over a pole barn kit and that comes with all the engineering and specs to get it permitted. Will the plans need to be approved again?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For those in the know, does the architect or engineer have to be living in Hawaii? I may ship over a pole barn kit and that comes with all the engineering and specs to get it permitted. Will the plans need to be approved again?
Yes, plans must be stamped by an architect or engineer with a Hawai'i license.

I had some plans done by a Denver architect, who sent them to an associate in Hawai'i to be stamped.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
...but the Architect doesn't need to live in Hawaii to have a Hawaii stamp. He /she needs to have either passed the Hawaii exam, or received reciprocity through the NCARB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: