Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 AM

502 posts, read 989,096 times

Advertisements

You enjoy the pristine breeze cleansed by the tradewinds coming at you all the way from cold clean Alaska, waves purifying the air of any dust, pollen. Enjoy this experience as you remember you must return back to the dirty dreary city from wench you came. Envelope yourself in exotic perfumed gardens of Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM

130 posts, read 235,227 times
Speaking of which I read that those same tradewinds are decreasing in frequency rather startlingly...Down from nearly 300 days/year to around 200 in the past 40 years...Global warming will do a number on all of us...

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
You wouldn't know it from this winter. More wind advisories today. Much windier this year than the past 5 winters.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM

941 posts, read 1,972,985 times
Hey, another gem from mangodog. At least it gives us a topic to riff on.

I totally believe global warming is affecting the weather and the planet, but I keep hoping that Hawaii is less affected by the extremes with the surrounding ocean to moderate the temps. Of course, the ocean will be higher, but fortunately Hawaii has some space to move inland a bit (except for Honolulu, so that'll be a problem).

But you also have to remember that Hawaii weather is subject to several larger weather patterns in the Pacific, so saying things like "this year is windier/rainier/drier than last" does not indicate a trend. In addition to the 6-10 year cycles of alternating El Nino and La Nina, there is also the Pacific Inter-Decadal Oscillation and Decadal Oscillation (Pacific decadal oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

So I think that 5-6 years of rainy or dry weather is nothing unusual, and 2-3 years is normal. In fact, I often heard that during the last boom (2000-2005) it was one of those nice dry periods, so that drove tourism and the housing market way up.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
So I think that 5-6 years of rainy or dry weather is nothing unusual, and 2-3 years is normal. In fact, I often heard that during the last boom (2000-2005) it was one of those nice dry periods, so that drove tourism and the housing market way up.
I'll have to disagree with that statement. In all 50 states housing was on fire after the recovery from 9/11 - mostly due to lax mortgage standards resulting in people who really couldn't afford to buy property actually driving up the prices.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM

130 posts, read 235,227 times
Climate Change in the Pacific Islands

Here's a reference for how climate change will affect Hawai'i

Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Two new research findings in the news.... further confirmation that rising atmospheric CO2 causes global warming, and surprise findings that volcanic SO2 emissions counter global warming effects.

Quote:
Ever had your doubts about the fact that carbon dioxide levels cause global warming? Now, researchers have found past evidence for the phenomenon. A new study strongly suggests that the higher gas levels may have caused Antarctic warming in the past and, in consequence, current human-caused gas emission will lead to climate change.
Past Antarctic Warming Linked to Greenhouse Gas: Carbon Dioxide has Future Implications : Nature & Environment : Science World Report

Quote:
A team led by the University of Colorado Boulder looking for clues about why Earth did not warm as much as scientists expected between 2000 and 2010 now thinks the culprits are hiding in plain sight — dozens of volcanoes spewing sulfur dioxide.
Volcano aerosols, not pollutants, tamped down recent Earth warming | ScienceBlog.com

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM

I love the fragrance of Pikake quaffing through the air with the windows open.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM

76 posts, read 154,680 times
Sitting by the fire watching it snow outside (so tired of the cold) and dreaming of the smells of Korean lilac, moc orange the smell of fresh cut grass, roses etc. Praying for all that not to be overwhelmed by the smell of smoke this year (need an emoticon for fingers crossed) It was really nice the past two days but sadly I had to work.

As for global warming, I always when people here point to warm days in the winter here and say "global warming". We have had those odd high temps for as long as the temp has been recorded. Not to say global warming is or is not occurring.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Sounds wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: