Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Hi, I m from Hong Kong and I got a study exchange programme offer to UHH from Sept to December.
I am thinking if I should go there since I'm concerning about the weather and transportation.

I know it rains a lot but I dont really like rain. i like sunny days. And I dont know how to drive
I know it may not be the best place for me to stay but I do want to go exchange programme since its like the only chance in my life.

And I like laid back living style since I am kinda tired of the busy city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniquekaka View Post
Hi, I m from Hong Kong and I got a study exchange programme offer to UHH from Sept to December.
I find the area barely tolerable but I even I could handle September to December - go for it and bring an umbrella and earplugs.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,791,761 times
If it's really your only chance, go for it. Rain won't kill you and you'll have an unforgettable experience. Good luck!.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM

76 posts, read 154,645 times
I vote GO! this is an opportunity to grow and learn new things. Its only temporary so even if you don't love it you will gain from the experience.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,516,641 times
Hilo is a fairly small town, only 44,000 population, but it's big enough that you'll want to become familiar with the Hele-On bus system. Although it is a fairly rudimentary system, it served UHH pretty well, and connects the campus area with both the big Prince Kuhuo Plaza shopping area in South Hilo, as well as the old downtown area on the bayfront, where the Farmer's Market is found. Best of all, with a UHH student ID, the bus is free. Here's their web site: Hawai'i County Mass Transit Agency — Hele-On Bus

The rain is manageable. It doesn't rain all the time. Just carry an umbrella. Wear cotton.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,583 times
Quote:
I know it may not be the best place for me to stay but I do want to go exchange programme since its like the only chance in my life.
Then there you go. It's only three months for heaven's sake. Do you really care that much about the weather for a scant portion of your life when the trade-off is to forgo this opportunity?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,108,887 times
It doesn't rain all the time and the sun comes out between rain showers. Shootz, sometimes it even rains while the sun is shining. Try looking at it with Google Earth, maybe that will help? There is also a Hilo Bay webcam which shows the surf break.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,238 times
Quote:
I know it rains a lot but I dont really like rain. i like sunny days. And I dont know how to drive.
Those are small problems to overcome in order to further your education with a exchange program. But then again, if rain is a deal breaker, well, you probably won't want to go to UHH.

As for not driving, UHH has many students who do not drive. Their website states that there are 46 buses that stop there daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island