Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times

Advertisements

Gee, futuremauian, I guess I'm one of the ones who "pounce" on newcomers because I respond to the usually vague "tell me what it's like to live in Hawaii" with a request that they do us all a favor and spend some time reading through the many, many threads here discussing their questions in great detail. Then I tell them that if they still have questions, or if their reading has helped give them focus, to come back and ask some specific questions.

I'm also one of the "haters" who get accused of being negative or chasing people away by trying to tell them what it is really like to live in Hawaii on a day-to-day basis. People who come here with rose colored glasses on are going to get a rude awakening, and I'm just sharing my experiences of living here for three years to help them in their decision-making.

Despite being yelled at and being called names, I do continue to share. Hawaii is a very special place, and we love living here. We made the decision to buy after being on several forums and reading a number of books, and I truly believe that has made a difference in our successful move.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Gee, futuremauian, I guess I'm one of the ones who "pounce" on newcomers because I respond to the usually vague "tell me what it's like to live in Hawaii" with a request that they do us all a favor and spend some time reading through the many, many threads here discussing their questions in great detail. Then I tell them that if they still have questions, or if their reading has helped give them focus, to come back and ask some specific questions.

I'm also one of the "haters" who get accused of being negative or chasing people away by trying to tell them what it is really like to live in Hawaii on a day-to-day basis. People who come here with rose colored glasses on are going to get a rude awakening, and I'm just sharing my experiences of living here for three years to help them in their decision-making.

Despite being yelled at and being called names, I do continue to share. Hawaii is a very special place, and we love living here. We made the decision to buy after being on several forums and reading a number of books, and I truly believe that has made a difference in our successful move.
I wasn't calling you out, and don't see your posts as being pompous, arrogant, or overbearing. Apparently some others must agree with what I've said since I'm getting repped for it. In theory, that can't be done repeatedly, by one poster, right?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:

In the context of this thread, this is a misconception, because this forum really isn't a democracy at all. The owners of City-Data have the right to limit participation here in any way they choose, and their Terms of Service are the expression of those choices. Posts that conform to the rules are not a problem. Posts that break the rules deserve to be edited or deleted to discourage further infractions. And the moderators are the brave souls who volunteer to try to keep the chaos down here by administering those rules.
Doesn't your post violate the TOS, since it has nothing to do with the OP? Or are there two sets of rules?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Join the Military then you can sleep in the sand and get paid for it and you do not have to actually form a complete sentence that is spelled properly all the time, just learn how to say "Yes Sir" very clearly and quickly and you should be good.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
As long as you just ask for advice, you will be fine here. It's when you take that "next step", posting replies to the questions of others, that some become "territorial"
Attitude is everything. There are many people who have joined the forum and easily made the transition to becoming regular posters with no issues at all. Someone who finds themselves clashing with the rules on a regular basis really needs to look at themselves, rather than blaming others.

As far as people getting "territorial" here, that's very predictable and very understandable when someone who is perceived as an outsider attacks something or someone who is "inside." It's a basic human response, which is easily traceable back to the dawn of recorded history.

You've stated that you live in Bakersfield, California and that you hope to retire to Maui. Expressing your affinity for Maui isn't going to get any pushback, no. But dissing the Big Island, as you have repeatedly, then yeah, people will bristle at that, no matter where you reside. Sitting there in Bakersfield, your critical comments will not be well received by people who actually own property and who live on the Island of Hawai'i, unless you speak kindly and respectfully at all times. Add a disrespectful or confrontational attitude towards them and *Bazinga,* you're what's for dinner. That's just human nature. And you will find it everywhere in C-D forums.

Quote:
It's similar to being the new "hand" on a blue-collar job site. You are expected to be there for a couple of years before you are "permitted" to express an opinion, without receiving a slapdown.
I disagree. Mostly it's HOW you express your opinions that determines whether you will get a slapdown from a moderator, and how the "community" here will receive you.

Patience works. Kindness works. I recommend them highly.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Why do you assume every unusual post is some kind of troll? And by the way, there are plenty of them (trolls) that regularly post on CD and nothing is ever said about them stirring the kettle with nasty posts. I'm not speaking about anyone on this part of CD, just saying what's wrong with just giving an answer and letting it be. If this poster was a troll, well you gave him attention anyway and if it was a legitimate post then he goes away with a bad impression of the forum. Better to state an opinion or point him to like older threads of those wanting to move with no money or job, and leave it at that.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM

[quote=OpenD;28699310].

Quote:
. But dissing the Big Island, as you have repeatedly, then yeah, people will bristle at that, no matter where you reside. Sitting there in Bakersfield, your critical comments will not be well received by people who actually own property and who live on the Island of Hawai'i, unless you speak kindly and respectfully at all times. Add a disrespectful attitude towards them and *Bazinga,* you're what's for dinner. That's just human nature. And you will find it everywhere in C-D forums.
Since you like to quote me, why didn't you put those out for all to see? I like the Big Island, and I have written glowing reviews about it "elsewhere". I happen to like Maui better. So what?
Your attempt to vilify me while making yourself the "spokesman" for all of the BI people is pathetic, yet laughable. Am I the one making all of those "inside" jokes you bristle at constantly? Of course not! They come from your fans all over the U.S. I just laugh at them and wish I was as quick-witted!
Try to calm yourself! Tennessee Jo might get the wrong impression! Gotta run! BTW: Just earned another rep point! *Bazinga*!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-16-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:14 PM

242 posts, read 391,732 times
I expected all 3 pages to this thread to be about the stupidity of TennesseJo; instead, the pissing contect between Opend and FutureMauian has become much more interesting.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
I can believe a few folks in Tennessee could want to move to Hawaii because they find Tennessee depressing. It makes as much sense as someone creating multiple logins and multiple stories and posting them. If you want to be helpful and the questions all sound the same, perhaps you need a sticky FAQ thread. Or just keep a list of stock answers and paste them in as needed.

The Northern Virginia forum has new people popping in asking variants of a couple of questions, but folks over there don't accuse people of being trolls and making up postings under different logins. They all seem to be real people with real questions and just trying to get some info on the area.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
As long as you just ask for advice, you will be fine here. It's when you take that "next step", posting replies to the questions of others, that some become "territorial". They talk about the "ignore" feature, but don't use it!
I definitely so profess the usefulness of the "ignore" feature! It is a useful C-D tool that enables a user to block from their view the postings of another user who they find argumentative, or pissy, or rude, etc. Think I'll engage it right now for one more user's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island