Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM

7 posts, read 15,263 times

Advertisements

What school is she in now ? We a looking at waiakea over Hilo highschool.
Puna is where I would like to live but going to rent
For 3 years in Hilo because the school in puna from
What I have read sofare not very good .

Last edited by Kennelly; 03-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
That's a sad story about the education system in Hawaii, and a sad commentary about racial discrimination. Maybe the solution is the Internet, to outsource education in Hawaii. If the education system in Hawaii has failed miserably, then better education could be found on the Internet. Check out Khan Academy, Open CourseWare, OCW. MIT university and other colleges have videos of entire college courses. There are other educational resources on the Internet too, some offer college credit. At some point, the people that control the educational system that have miserably failed need to be fired and replaced with people that are competent. If the system is beyond any hope of repair, then you have to replace the failed education system yourself. An Internet based education system is probably your best option.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
When you get here, get a PO Box and an apartment near the school you want your children to go to. After you register for school, they would never know if you moved somewhere else unless you told them. Keep the PO box for school correspondence until they have graduated.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 PM

That might be a option. Who knows might love Hilo and stay.
All will depend on our jobs as to where we can afford to buy a house.
Only time will tell.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
When you get here, get a PO Box and an apartment near the school you want your children to go to. After you register for school, they would never know if you moved somewhere else unless you told them. Keep the PO box for school correspondence until they have graduated.
Basing the educational stability upon a lie is really not a very reliable method to getting the best education possible for your child. I suppose you might hide your actual residential location if the student never had a friend visit, did not join sports where there might be carpooling, never used a land-line phone number, wanted to lie about the physical address in the case of emergency (card on file at the school), trusted that an angry friend or angry friend's parent would not expose the lie, didn't use FB where photos of home life might be posted, were not going to be applying for college where a physical address is required to establish residency, etc etc. Personally, I'd never set my child up for such a stressful existence as hiding a lie.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM

I know I would not do that to keep my kid in a better school. Honesty is my way of life.
How could a person keep up a lie that long .

Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennelly View Post
I know I would not do that to keep my kid in a better school. Honesty is my way of life. How could a person keep up a lie that long .
We think the same on this.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

I wasn't suggesting any lies at all. Nor hiding FB posts etc. What I said is, if you move, don't tell them. They don't ask you to tell them so there is no need to lie.

They invented the game of school inequality, not me. Play the game by their rules which is, once you're in the school you're in the school.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Perhaps my daughter's teacher is too busy trying to win "Maui's hottest school teacher contest" to have enough time to spend teaching Puna kids:

http://www.dajam983.com/common/more.php?m=47&ref=11

Full disclosure: Her teacher is not listed as one of the contestants. But then again, how do we know those are real names (or real teachers).

Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I wasn't suggesting any lies at all. Nor hiding FB posts etc. What I said is, if you move, don't tell them. They don't ask you to tell them so there is no need to lie.
Seriously? When it is required to inform the school your home address in order to qualify to attend that school, and you move out of the school's area, and you fail to inform the school, that is not a lie??

They invented the game of school inequality, not me. Play the game by their rules which is, once you're in the school you're in the school.
Call it an "invention" if you want, or check the ratings, records, test scores, etc through the DOE and BOE, and outside resources, and then try to prove that there is not an inequality of schools and within Hawaii's educational system. Which is why it is so important for a parent to take into consideration the school choices before they move into a certain location.
We definitely have different opinions about these topics. Luckily here on C_D, it is up to each reader to do their own research, check the source of the information and what experience is behind it, and make their own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island