Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 19,429 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a little cottage on some acreage in Papaaloa, but I can't really find any information on it anywhere. Does anyone have some they are willing to share? I know it's about half an hour north of Hilo, but just looking at photos, it looks like it's primarily for farming, which is what we are looking for, but anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Ahhhhh, Pāpa'aloa.

How about: http://www.papaaloa.com/

Or: Paapaloa

There's not a lot there, but then again, there's not a lot to Papaaloa. A General Store, a Post Office, a church, and fewer than 50 homes, I'd guess. Old sugar plantation area.

If you Google Papaaloa, and click in Images, then page down, there's an aerial view that shows how tiny it is.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Papaaloa is essentially the same as Laupahoehoe and you should turn up more data by that name. They are side by side even though they do have two post offices.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,202,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ahhhhh, Pāpa'aloa.

How about: http://www.papaaloa.com/

Or: Paapaloa

There's not a lot there, but then again, there's not a lot to Papaaloa. A General Store, a Post Office, a church, and fewer than 50 homes, I'd guess. Old sugar plantation area.

If you Google Papaaloa, and click in Images, then page down, there's an aerial view that shows how tiny it is.

Always enjoy reading the humor in your responses.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
There is also a gymnasium and ball field. A small sugar plantation housing area and a hongwanji with a really nice Obon dance during the summer. I'm not sure if Papaaloa store is still open or not, I don't think so. They used to be pretty famous for their smoked sausage and lunch plates, but then some vegetarians bought the store and no more sausages. It closed pretty soon after that, if I remember correctly, although this was several years ago.

Across the highway and down a bit - less than a mile is Laupahoehoe. They have Sakada store - which is still open - and there is also the gas station, the train museum, the 50's Cafe, Laupahoehoe school, a nice swimming pool and a library. Fire station, police station, post office. Also several small housing areas. A bit further down the highway is the road to Laupahoehoe point which has some stunning scenery and access to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: