Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM

597 posts, read 1,447,048 times

Advertisements

Could someone explain what taxes you pay in Hawaii. Examples would be appreciated.....

I live in Florida and we pay no state and no city income taxes. My home is 4,000sq ft and I pay $7,600 annually.

I have heard Hawaii has brutal income taxes but the property taxes are great. Can someone enlighten me and give me some examples of what I would be facing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
There is a 4% excise tax on EVERYTHING in Hawaii, that includes food and drugs (I'm pretty sure about the drugs, I'm certain on the food). There are also quite a few extra taxes that tourists get to pay, but as a resident you'd not pay those.

There are no cities at the governmental level in the state, it's all at the county and state level, but you get to pay state income tax and county property tax. Depending on what county you live in, the property taxes would be different and it is calculated by house value, not square feet. Currently on the Island of Hawaii there is discussion about raising the property taxes rather significantly although I've not been keeping track of any details on that.

There is a state income tax to pay, too.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Is there also a state or city sales tax and then excise tax on top of that? Would you have any idea of what the state income tax rates are? I know I can look it up but I thought someone where might just be able to answer it quickly.

We also pay property tax based on the value but I figured if I didn't put the size someone would come on here and ask how big the house is.

Why are they discussing raising property taxes? I would think in times like this, raising property taxes is not really a smart move. Here in Florida the Gov. is lowering them.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I just wanted to get an idea of how much more taxes are in Hawaii than in Florida.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM

21 posts, read 43,773 times
You may find this Tax Foundation publication helpful:

Facts and Figures: How Does Your State Compare

Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,957,385 times
The excise and income taxes ARE pretty brutal, however the property taxes on the BI are very low in comparison to other states. There is a homeowner's exemption that lowers the property taxes even lower if you live in the home and you are a state resident. You may pay less than $100/month depending on your circumstance.

While food IS taxed, a lot of people buy a large portion of their food on the black market, commonly called "farmer's markets" here. Other people exist in an even deeper underworld where they (don't tell anybody) grow their own fruits and vegetables.

Hawaii does not tax income derived from retirement annuities.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Thanks Shorty! That is exactly what I need. That will help a lot

Terracore, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am still working so my wages would be taxed. I loved your "black market/underworld" post. That gave me a good laugh

Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

While food IS taxed, a lot of people buy a large portion of their food on the black market
(hey buddy,,,,, ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss,,,, ye, you...... wanna buy a can of spam????)

Aloha

Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Is there also a state or city sales tax and then excise tax on top of that?
There is no sales tax in Hawai'i, and there are no city governments. Everything is state and county, and county government only sets property tax rates.

What is hard for many to understand about Hawai'i's General Excise Tax (GET) is that it applies to both goods and services, and it includes such transactions as apartment rent. So even though it is a lower percentage rate than many states' Sales Taxes, it applies to many more transactions.

It SHOULD collect a lot more revenue than it does, but people don't seem to be lining up to pay up.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

It SHOULD collect a lot more revenue than it does, but people don't seem to be lining up to pay up.
Would you kindly elucidate upon that remark?

Aloha

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
It comes up all the time in the press, in various ways, that a whole lot of people in Hawai'i don't pay GET or TAT on their rental incomes. Here's one example...

Quote:
But Patrick Sullivan, principal broker and owner of Lahaina-based Sullivan Properties, said the state is losing millions because nonresident owners aren't paying the proper taxes, something owners like Kohler say simply isn't true. "Funds not being collected have to exceed $30 million a year and growing," Sullivan said.

It's unclear how much the state may be losing through unpaid taxes. There's no fiscal information presented with any of the legislation.

But a conference committee report on one of the bills cites a 2005 study by the Hawaii Tourism Authority that estimated as many as 9,000 rental units in Hawaii may not be complying with tax law.

Non-Hawaii Owners of Vacation Rentals in Uproar - Honolulu Civil Beat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island