Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM

28 posts, read 54,277 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to when the actual season is? My aunty brought me some about 2 weeks ago, but I can't find them anywhere else. I was hoping I could buy some when in season and freeze. But then that probably wouldn't work good for ulu salad and things that you would want it in "chunks" for. I'm guessing it would get smushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
The main season in Hawai'i is July - February, with different varieties being predominant at different times during the season. No, I don't think freezing raw ulu works well because the texture is destroyed, although cooked and mashed breadfruit holds up better. Perhaps you could try the traditional approach, to peel it and bury it in a leaf lined pit to ferment. I understand they used to do that for years.

Here's a very informative piece about Ulu: Breadfruit

Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Well bummer, it will only let me rep you once a day lol. Thanks once again OpenD. Might at least try the heating up/roasting thing to coagulate the latex and try to keep them a little longer. Have to wonder what it would taste like fermented. Maybe if my Aunty sends over extra when she gets back from the mainland, I'll give it a try. Leaving them for years though? I would probably forget where I put them lol!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleWahine View Post
Leaving them for years though? I would probably forget where I put them lol!
Just like the squirrels and acorns, it guarantees new trees will sprout.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM

That would be nice. I have tried many times to bring my aunty's keiki ulu trees here and they all die =)

Old 10-28-2015, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
After trying many different methods . I've steamed, boiled, fried, roasted and braised ulu to preserve it. The best way I found is in the oven cut right at its peak of ripeness (just before it gets sweet and soft) I wash it cut it in half long ways, rub with Hawaiian salt and olive oil. Put on foiled pan in a pre-heated 420* oven for 25-30 min. It's completely cooked through and retains its buttery flavor and (most importantly) it's structural integrity. So you can then peel cut into chunks or whatever shape you desire and freeze. I use it in stew, soup and curry a lot adding it in the last 10-20min of the cooking process and it doesn't desolve or "run away" the way cooked potatoes would. Also I've taken it after roasting buttered it and put it on the grill. So ONO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island