Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times

Advertisements

Trixie,

Ignore the crankiness, usually folks have information to share, but when some folks don't get their naps or get jealous because your husband can get a "mainland" wage while in Hawaii, well they get surly. I believe the viper is in real estate and believes everyone needs a 2000 sq foot retirement home so they have a room for their pool table.

If you look at Zillow and a ton of other threads, you may notice houses in Hawaii are usually smaller than the mainland and folks should only move what will fit in a shoebox or a dozen boxes at the UPS store. Most of the plantation camp houses are under 1000 square feet, and no limit on how big of extended family you have living there.

What you are trying to say is, you think the quality of life in Hawaii is worth the paradise tax. And you would like information on making this life change happen. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Minimalism isn't about being poor. Minimalism is about having a different relationship with possessions and consumerism and stewardship vs. ownership and reducing one's footprint on the planet for the sake of future generations.

In Honolulu a 70 sq ft bedroom can legally accommodate two people. (Or, for each additional person a bedroom must have an additional 50 sq ft.). And you are required to have a 120 sq ft living room + kitchen and bath.

So for 6 people you would need three bedrooms x 70 sq ft each + 120 sq ft living room + kitchen (50?) + bathroom (35?) = 415 sq ft. approx.

That's in Honolulu (ref: City of County of Honolulu Housing Code Section 27-4.3(b) ). But Hawai'i County is more relaxed about such things.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
and believes everyone needs a 2000 sq foot retirement home so they have a room for their pool table.
No, what I truly believe is that the Big Island has become such a mecca for the "minimalists" that if it continues to go down that route - it will never dig itself out of the huge hole it is currently in while the rest of the state thrives. But hey, that is the brutally honest opinion per the thread title.

And I don't think "minimalists" are all poor - but in my opinion a toxic environment for the Big Island when overdone with no balance - "minimalists" are never going to stimulate the BI economy which it so desperately needs.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And I don't think "minimalists" are all poor - but in my opinion a toxic environment for the Big Island when overdone with no balance - "minimalists" are never going to stimulate the BI economy which it so desperately needs.
We shouldn't hijack this thread and make it a philosophical discussion without Mangodog. He would be the guy to answer whether well paid working software developers will assimilate, bring a new style of minimalism or cause undesired gentrification.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM

43 posts, read 84,507 times
Fredesch - thanks for shedding light on the situation - jealousy brings nothing but hardened arteries and misery - a totally useless emotion. The mention of minimalism seriously rocks many people to the core!! Such a sad state humanity is in when it is assumed the only way to contribute to society is to frequent shopping malls. My teenage twins began volunteering their free time at fourteen - not because we asked but they saw the need around them - that is what minimalism brings about - mindfulness and compassion. There are many, many ways to contribute to a community and as far as supporting local business we will certainly keep the farmers and coffee roasting in business! OpenD you are spot on with the meaning behind minimalism - it is about not having a twisted relationship with things - the broken homes all across the mainland because parents put tremendous value on ride on lawnmowers for their cookie cutter backyards, oversized SUVs, and luxury sectionals - lunacy in my opinion. I have nothing against people living with luxury - Adam Levine and Anderson Cooper are both minimalists but I reckon they live comfortably - the thing is to never put real estate or objects above people and sadly I see that happening all around me. And Vipor, brutal honesty has nothing to do with being rude - you speak of balance and toxic environment but you are the only one on this thread ready to pop a vein in the forehead..please try to gain some balance in yourself and don't worry about how other choose to live.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So for 6 people you would need three bedrooms x 70 sq ft each + 120 sq ft living room + kitchen (50?) + bathroom (35?) = 415 sq ft. approx.
Now I'm afraid to open the garage as there might be a family of 6 living inside. A lot of 2 car garages are 20 X 20 so picture a family of 6 living in that area.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
Adam Levine and Anderson Cooper are both minimalists
Anderson Cooper's penthouse he recently sold hardly seems "minimalist"

Anderson Cooper : Curbed NY

Even his place in the Hamptons is referred to as a "compound"

The Real Estalker: Anderson Cooper Expands Hamptons Compound

He also has a 9,000 sq ft place in Greenwich Village - seems like a lot of room for a "minimalist"

Adam Levine certainly isn't living "minimal" up in the Hollywood Hills....

where does adam levine live - Google Search=_

Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
Whtviper1 - WOW! How can you be disappointed when you don't even know me? I am not sure what you envision when you hear the word minimalism but we live very comfortably with less. Perhaps you should try it - it might Sunny up your disposition! As far as being legal, well, that is just such a rubbish attack based in ignorance...
Ouch.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Gosh Trixie4 - I guess when you said this in your thread title feel free to be brutally honest - you didn't really mean it??
Double Ouch.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM

43 posts, read 84,507 times
Not all Minimalists live with small square footage, but rather light on things. Minimalism has more to do with a healthy relationship with what you use in life - rather than collecting things to impress the neighbors. Did you bother to take a look at Adam Levine's luxury home - yes it is spacious but not junked up with things. For instance, did you know that Anderson Cooper (yes I am an Anderson Cooper fan) always takes his bike to work? Minimalism is living with the best and forsaking the rest - some minimalists live in 10,000 sq foot homes but the home is devoid of stuff made in sweatshops by innocent children trying to earn enough to buy rice for their family. Some minimalists live in bright, spacious homes but refuse to wear diamonds due to the blood shed in those horrible diamond mines. Well, I am now more determined to move to the BI as my research proves you are not typical of the fine people of Hawaii. I am thinking you are underestimating how strongwilled we minimalists can be - bullying over the issue just makes you look very small indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island