Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 30,920 times

Advertisements

Ok here we go, me and the wife have been coming to the islands for years and have been making this plan for that long to !! we are two adults with kids all grown(not coming) and we are wanting to move to Kona side.
1st) we are bring enough to live job free for a few years if need be and we bring "skills" too (her-med me- own a building company)
2) We are paying off our 2013 car so no car payments and shipping it over (so no lender problems)
3) we are keeping our main land home and renting it to our grown son (army) to have a exit plan (we are shipping nothing but clothes and papers, buying all new as needed there) We will sale mainland home after as things work out, plus wife is on re-hire list at hospital if need be to return.
4) We own a home on the big island now on the puna side ( complete home, all permitted and on paved road ) all rented up, we bought it when the market was at the bottom and will keep till it turns just a little more and as things work out on Kona side (us renting 1st) we will sell it and use seed money for something on Kona side
5) no pets to bring(so don't have that problem to deal with)
6) Both of our Parents have passed so no deep family needs here
7) We now live in a town that is not our home town (so no home town leaving blues) and is at least two hours any way around us to any other town ( so being cut off is not that new to us)
8) Grow up and most of our adult life's in so cal so know about high cost of living
9) Every time we have come to the islands we have stayed at places with kitchens (no hotels) and shopped local to get as much of a feeling for cost as possible.
10) both me and the wife really feel very much home when getting off the plane there all the times we have been ( I know so many ppl say that) but we have inter acted with a lot of locals and have nothing but great times, we show great respect for the ppl of the islands and have gotten back the same.

so with all that and I am sure there are other things I am not putting up here and some things that not belong here so go head ppl let me here your best advise and thoughts (good and bad )

opend I am looking forward to your thoughts lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randymu42 View Post
opend I am looking forward to your thoughts lol
My thoughts? Good luck!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
Gosh, it is almost as if you'd gone over every objection or warning that comes up here, and had a "best case scenario" answer for each one.

I'm in with OpenD, "Good luck!"

Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM

834 posts, read 1,220,244 times
Check the heath insurance situation. Otherwise you're all good to go and seem to have gotten the approval of this board. :-)

Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM

51 posts, read 98,559 times
Congratulations on your move!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
You and your wife seem to have pretty much covered all the bases. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. Doesn't look like there will be any problems, but if there are any just come back here where all the advice is free.

E como mai! Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,234 times
You seem to have covered most of the questions that are asked when people start up post 1 that they are moving to Hawaii. It looks like you joined a year ago, and waited a whole year to post number 1. I wonder why you waited so long to post. Maybe you read a lot first, which is good.

Someone mentioned health care coverage. If your not working, that could be expensive. Do you have retirement savings now? Most people in the US have almost no retirement savings.

It sounds like you are still in your working years, maybe closing in on retirement. That is my situation. The last 6 years of my working life will make a significant impact on my retirement standard of living. But it's all a trade off. Some people work too long, then retire for only a year or two, then die.

Do you think a gap in your later working years might have an impact on the standard of living you could afford when you retire?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Some people work too long, then retire for only a year or two, then die.
Your statement brings these thoughts to mind:
  • Learning to enjoy each day as they come is a worthwhile skill. Even folks who are working can enjoy daily life!
  • Many people actually enjoy their work! I try to encourage my children to pick a profession that they will love doing each day, instead of dreading it and waiting for retirement to come.
  • A person thinking that he can plan things like retiring in XXX and then having another XXX years to "enjoy" life is just fooling himself. The secret is to enjoy the present, because a tragedy can hit us at any moment, even when young.

Live happy. Enjoy each day.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Your statement brings these thoughts to mind:
  • Learning to enjoy each day as they come is a worthwhile skill. Even folks who are working can enjoy daily life!
  • Many people actually enjoy their work! I try to encourage my children to pick a profession that they will love doing each day, instead of dreading it and waiting for retirement to come.
  • A person thinking that he can plan things like retiring in XXX and then having another XXX years to "enjoy" life is just fooling himself. The secret is to enjoy the present, because a tragedy can hit us at any moment, even when young.

Live happy. Enjoy each day.
Very true. An unexpected tragedy happened in my family and my wife's family, so I am well aware that life can come to an end very quickly without notice. I try to enjoy life each day while working. Although, life will be better when I am retired and every day is like a vacation day, retirement won't be in poverty, and won't be in the snow and cold.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Although, life will be better when I am retired and every day is like a vacation day, retirement won't be in poverty, and won't be in the snow and cold.
Sounds like Hawaii is calling your name ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island